• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have watched more Aus matches than Subcontinental games. The sound is pretty different from about 4-5 years ago.
Not really. I've also watched Australian cricket solidly for the last 6 years and there's no real difference.

However, subcontinental bats do make a notably different noise to those from elsewhere.

Evermind

International Debutant
The one good thing about a Eng-WI match is the decent quality of commentary.

WI bowling pies, Hinds no-balling gentle offies, and Ramdin dropping a dolly. Dire game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waiting for a declaration is the most :bored: thing in history.

Hope we might declare at Tea but ideally I'd like us to get 600 so both are not an option.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BTW Ian Botham always sounds slightly drunk while commentating.
Sounds?!?

I imagine Sir Ian's blood alcohol level is such he just needs a couple of clarets to top him up nowadays.

Good little knock from Tiny Tim, anyway. Be interesting decision for selectors if he tons up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If England bat long enough for him to get another 41, we'll know there's some serious problems.

Wonder if he'll look to go far beyond 600?

pskov

International 12th Man
Not sure they'll have a run target so much as an overs target. Leave them 12-15 overs for the fast bowlers to have a real go at them with the new ball before the close would be the plan I suspect.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England have to approach it like the end of a limited overs innings, give themselves an hour or thereabouts and score as many as they can. If there's a real clatter of wickets and you've got the last couple poking about then just declare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure they'll have a run target so much as an overs target. Leave them 12-15 overs for the fast bowlers to have a real go at them with the new ball before the close would be the plan I suspect.
I'd be so much happier to see twice that given TBH. Never like to see a first-innings last too much longer than 5 sessions, not when you're 0-1 down (if it's 0-0 or better still you're 1-0 up then certainly go longer).

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be so much happier to see twice that given TBH. Never like to see a first-innings last too much longer than 5 sessions, not when you're 0-1 down (if it's 0-0 or better still you're 1-0 up then certainly go longer).
They will probably need these runs though. It's unlikely that the Windies will score less than 550 in two innings combined.

Evermind

International Debutant
I can read, you know - I'm well aware Bopara is on 88.

Ambrose, however, is on 59. Which means he'd have to get another 41 for a century.
Indeed. However, nobody suggested Strauss is gonna wait for Ambrose's century. When you say "him", it usually refers to someone mentioned before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW was Ambrose actually dropped? Annoyingly I was eating tea when it happened so I've not seen it. But was it actually just a small deflection that Ramdin should swallow every time, or was it a big thick edge that he had no chance of taking and that was just called a chance because people do that sometimes?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They will probably need these runs though. It's unlikely that the Windies will score less than 550 in two innings combined.
If they score 350 in 100 overs in the first dig they'd be mad to enforce the follow-on, so you can't be expecting an innings victory.