• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm confident Bopara will enjoy the better Test career of the two. I believe he will be a very decent England number 4/5 batsman for some time to come. It may be that his time is not just yet, but I think he's going to be pretty difficult to shift once he has a score under his belt.

On his day, makes things look ridiculously easy (although admittedly he is yet to show it at this level), and uses his wrists to great effect off his pads, and doesn't try to hit the ball too hard. I really think he has potential.
Oh, Bopara has a much better chance of having a good Test career than Shah - Shah is 30 before he's gotten first crack at the thing, Bopara's just 24.

However, right now Shah is a better batsman than Bopara and deserves a run in the side far more.

Woodster

International Captain
Oh, Bopara has a much better chance of having a good Test career than Shah - Shah is 30 before he's gotten first crack at the thing, Bopara's just 24.

However, right now Shah is a better batsman than Bopara and deserves a run in the side far more.
The fact he's younger does not necessarily mean he'll be more successful. If he doesn't score runs he won't get in the side, just as if Shah scores runs he'll be there for years to come. He's only 30, batsmen can still get better around this age.

I'm not doubting Shah deserves a run in the side, I just prefer Bopara as a batsman, even now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England in a very strong position, just hope we don't lose some of the momentum we've built up on day one, and surrender our dominance by losing a few cheap wickets early tomorrow. Important we push on and close in on 500 towards tea, ideally.

Think there are promising signs for the bowlers too. There is definitely some swing around, and we have a couple of excellent exponents of this, while the spin and bounce Benn found will have Swanny rubbing his hands
I think this is wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Draw has to be the big favourite from here.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah nah Graeme Smith's miss of Ponting earlier today was worse than Gayle's of Strauss.

The Ponting one was costly but not absolutely massively so; the Strauss one much more so.
Aus would have been 60 odd (I think) for 4 with North coming in with the pressure really on. Australia have already got a good total for the wicket thanks to the runs added by Punter and Clarke so that drop catch was crucial.

But as for this test, Strauss could have been caught and England would have still ended the day on top. The wicket is pancake flat, Windies are a two man attack (Powell's opening spell was one of the worst I've ever seen) and if not Strauss making hay, KP is showing that his up for a big one.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well it is either that or England making the Windies look good. They have hardly won a session since Sabina…

sammy2

Banned
yet England can't win and won't win.

I can't believe gayle dropped that catch... Toomuch on his mind I guess. Ohwell.

England didn't play to be in the spot they are now, WI basically gifted it to them.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
yet England can't win and won't win.

I can't believe gayle dropped that catch... Toomuch on his mind I guess. Ohwell.

England didn't play to be in the spot they are now, WI basically gifted it to them.
You're a cartoon, y'know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aus would have been 60 odd (I think) for 4 with North coming in with the pressure really on. Australia have already got a good total for the wicket thanks to the runs added by Punter and Clarke so that drop catch was crucial.
Of course it was. Where did I say it wasn't?
But as for this test, Strauss could have been caught and England would have still ended the day on top. The wicket is pancake flat, Windies are a two man attack (Powell's opening spell was one of the worst I've ever seen) and if not Strauss making hay, KP is showing that his up for a big one.
That's debateable, given that only Cook of other batsmen has looked even remotely comfortable. Had Strauss been dismissed on 50-odd, West Indies could easily have ended the day on top - they'd have been in such a position had England been 300 for 7 or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think this is wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Draw has to be the big favourite from here.
I don't think it's entirely wishful-thinking TBH. There's certainly something there to give encouragement to all of Swann, Sidebottom and Anderson. Whether they manage to cash-in is another matter, as it's obviously not there in droves.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I agree with Rich, not sure it is totally wishful thinking. I agree they're going to have to work hard for the wickets and use the new ball well, but if they can manage a bit of reverse swing, that hasn't been particularly evident in England's innings, we may be in business.

The pitch may quicken up a little, and if Jimmy's pushing it through sharply and getting some swing (both ways), he will be very dangerous.

craigyc43

Cricket Spectator
I can't believe people are starting to talk about a draw etc already. We have had one day of a 5 (thats 5) day test! None of us have any idea what the weather conditions are going to be or if the pitch may all of a sudden crumble or more likely West Indies batting crumble.

Im just glad England have put in another decent performance with the bad ahd am looking forward to them ramming it home today. Then we can just see what happens, lets not start attacking our bowlers before they have even bowled

Uppercut

I can't believe people are starting to talk about a draw etc already. We have had one day of a 5 (thats 5) day test! None of us have any idea what the weather conditions are going to be or if the pitch may all of a sudden crumble or more likely West Indies batting crumble.

Im just glad England have put in another decent performance with the bad ahd am looking forward to them ramming it home today. Then we can just see what happens, lets not start attacking our bowlers before they have even bowled
Yeah that's true but nor can you say it's likely that there'll be a result. All I'd say is that given what we have seen, the draw has got to be fairly heavily favourite.

craigyc43

Cricket Spectator
Yeah that's true but nor can you say it's likely that there'll be a result. All I'd say is that given what we have seen, the draw has got to be fairly heavily favourite.
I would not say a draw is a heavy favourite. I would say and England win on the current state of play has to be slight favourite.

England win Evens
Draw 2/1
WI win 7/1

Would be my guess.

I haven't looked at the actual odds. Even with a placid pitch on day one there have been many many games that have produced results. The pitch is obviously an important factor in the result but momentum, pressure etc etc are also huge contributors

Uppercut

I would not say a draw is a heavy favourite. I would say and England win on the current state of play has to be slight favourite.

England win Evens
Draw 2/1
WI win 7/1

Would be my guess.

I haven't looked at the actual odds. Even with a placid pitch on day one there have been many many games that have produced results. The pitch is obviously an important factor in the result but momentum, pressure etc etc are also huge contributors
Hmm. You should probably get on England if that's how you feel because the actual odds are:

England win 5/4
Draw 8/11
West Indies win 16/1

It's not just the flat pitch, England's attack has had a bit of trouble taking wickets against batsmen content to just survive in this series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
None of us have any idea what the weather conditions are going to be or if the pitch may all of a sudden crumble or more likely West Indies batting crumble.
Of course none of us know what the pitch and weather are going to do, but we can and do certainly have a fair amount of idea. The pitch is unlikely to break-up and the weather is going to be unsettled and the possibility of showers is going to remain throughout.

BTW Andrew Flintoff won't play the Fourth (I refuse to call it Fifth) Test and the current hope is that he'll play the ODIs.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
With the bookies I use, draw is also the favourite.
England 6/5,
WI 12/1,
Draw 8/11.

Looking for some real intent from us today, really push on with positive cricket, then hit them with all guns blazing towards the end of the day.
Star player for today : Jimmy Anderson, for a few quick wickets before close to really push home our dominant position.