• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

thierry henry

International Coach
Anyway....our tactics are working ok so far because we are bowling and fielding pretty well. That's obviously the plan- make an ok score and then bowl well, or bowl well, then bat conservatively and use the full 50 overs to chase the low score.

It worries me that the players will forget how to score fast in favourable conditions, especially in ODIs

profernity

U19 Debutant
8-)8-)8-) to both of you. I see James never actually came back and admitted he might have been wrong with his prediction of "our custom Twenty20" choke. And, well, thierry henry's negativity knows no bounds. We won - McCullum timed his run to perfection. Enjoy it, FFS.

Actually, I would counter that thierry henry is actually quite positive - he feels the Black Caps are capable of batting much better than they are currently, and is frustrated that they're not. I think :blink:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Man I wish I'd gone tonight. That was by far the biggest crowd I've seen at a cricket match (actually the 2nd biggest, but the only one larger against Australia in 2000 was rained off). I couldn't believe there was only 22,000 in, it looked like there were at least 25,000. And then the match was a thriller, the most agonising finish imaginable. Brendon McCullum is worth way more than the $700,000 US he's being paid. Now if only he could bat like this in ODI's and tests...

Terrible stuff from the crowd. I remember they got up to something similar a few years ago against Australia. And the authorities will now (quite rightly) respond by roping off the front 4 or 5 rows, which is a terrible shame because those are the best seats. Oh well.

thierry henry

International Coach
We won - McCullum timed his run to perfection. Enjoy it, FFS.
So when you need 90 off 84 with 9 in hand, iyo it's perfect batting to win on the last ball??

fmd, we should've cruised it with 3 or 4 overs to spare, we batted brainlessly through the middle and arsed it on the last 3 balls, I'm stoked we limped over the line, but I use this forum to critique not cheerlead.

Don't worry Volty, I was yahooing and fist-pumping when we won.

thierry henry

International Coach
Actually, I would counter that thierry henry is actually quite positive - he feels the Black Caps are capable of batting much better than they are currently, and is frustrated that they're not. I think :blink:
Exactly :)

My problem is with a batting "tactic" where we are choosing to sell ourselves short

James

Cricket Web Owner
8-)8-)8-) to both of you. I see James never actually came back and admitted he might have been wrong with his prediction of "our custom Twenty20" choke. And, well, thierry henry's negativity knows no bounds. We won - McCullum timed his run to perfection. Enjoy it, FFS.
If it makes you feel any better, I admit I was wrong and I'm glad I was wrong! It was a great finish to the game, but we did dig a bit of a hole for ourselves you'd have to admit after the start we managed. As I mentioned above credit goes to Harbhajan and Jadeja but I would have thought we could have ticked over the scoring a bit more.

I don't personally see how thierry henry is being so negative. He's giving his opinion on how the team can improve and it's no where near trolling in my eyes anyway.

thierry henry

International Coach
It worries me that you are talking as if this is a certainty before the ODI series has even started.
My observations are based on the WI ODI series, the WI 20/20s, the Australian ODIs, the Australian T20, the last 2 T20s, and even the game v the PMs XI.

You're not watching very closely if you haven't noticed the change. Especially since Moles openly talked about it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
MotM performance from IK Pathan. Was very economical and took wickets.

lol
I think you are right. I would vote him the best player for India (for the wickets he took at the end) and the best player for New Zealand (for his proligate bowling throughout) ;)

Howsie

International Captain
My observations are based on the WI ODI series, the WI 20/20s, the Australian ODIs, the Australian T20, the last 2 T20s, and even the game v the PMs XI.

You're not watching very closely if you haven't noticed the change. Especially since Moles openly talked about it.
Yeah I've noticed it too. I think what McCullum has to do is cut out the walking down the pitch option. He already stands a few feet out of the crease.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
There was crowd trouble because twice Indians came up to the middle, the second time right before the final delivery. Now you suggesting they were "troubled" by 3 pieces of paper?
I was right there, that's exactly what it was. It was a joke and the Indians rightly got booed for it.

My recollection is that someone threw a bottle at a fattie who had been standing up in the crowd all night and getting chants at him to sit down. It landed outside the boundary rope and one of the fielders noticed and had a sook over it.

After that they had a cry about some pieces of cardboard used to hold the drinks sold at the ground that some people had thrown up in the air during the waves half an hour ago.

Was total timewasting.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Just noticed in the replay that when the players went to shake hands with the umpires, Guptill appeared to be making some pointed comments towards the umpire that fired him...

James

Cricket Web Owner
What changes if any would everyone make to the NZ/India sides for the 1st ODI?

I'd bring in Styris for Broom and leave it at that personally. Really like our depth in batting again, and the bowling seems to be coming together nicely. Would like to see Thompson get a game sometime soon though.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What changes if any would everyone make to the NZ/India sides for the 1st ODI?

I'd bring in Styris for Broom and leave it at that personally. Really like our depth in batting again, and the bowling seems to be coming together nicely. Would like to see Thompson get a game sometime soon though.
I'd like 12 brain transplants for the Indian team.