• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Precambrian

Banned
Where did I mention the Indians?

You seem a touch precious mate. Go get a glass of water.
There was crowd trouble because twice Indians came up to the middle, the second time right before the final delivery. Now you suggesting they were "troubled" by 3 pieces of paper?

GGG

State Captain
That was a terrible batting performance

Guptill, Taylor, and McCullum bar the last 3 balls came within about 50cm of costing us a match that it was almost impossible to lose after our first 6 overs of batting
I agree, we seam to just take our foot off the pedal after Ryder went, should of won this with 2-3 overs spare, it really was a terrible run chase after the start we got.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
There was crowd trouble because twice Indians came up to the middle, the second time right before the final delivery. Now you suggesting they were "troubled" by 3 pieces of paper?
I'm asking what the crowd trouble was, because in the pictures I was getting through sky it wasn't evident. Why are you getting all upset over a simple question?

profernity

U19 Debutant
Exactly....comments like this all through the thread but it's ok now?

Sure I'm gonna get flamed for being negative, I'm as stoked as anyone that we got over the line, but for 19.3 overs it was rubbish...."pacing" the innings to lose with wickets in hand, basically

It seems to me that in T20 the point is emphasised that "all it takes is 1 good over and they're back in it"(c). Perhaps this can give teams a false sense of security if they're not confident enough to go all out?

In ODIs, if you're "pacing" the innings below RRR for too long you fall so far behind that teams slog away and then get dismissed for far less than the total. In T20, the penalty does not seem so harsh if chasing a low-to-modest total.

Precambrian

Banned
Reading the last 2 pages, I get the impression NZ lost than won :unsure:

Revel mates, because it could be the last time NZ might be tasting victory this tour. :P

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm asking what the crowd trouble was, because in the pictures I was getting through sky it wasn't evident. Why are you getting all upset over a simple question?
It's a very valid question. I didn't understand what the problem was either.

I'm not criticising the Indians, if any fielders feel uncomfortable with what the crowd are doing they should absolutely stop the game. But I'm just not sure what the crowd was doing to cause them to feel that way.

Precambrian

Banned
Because your tone suggested implicit denial of any crowd trouble.

In case it didnt, my apologies, I;ve become far too defensive post the moderators royal ditching of me here.

Yep, the TVs didn't tell anything.

thierry henry

International Coach
It seems to me that in T20 the point is emphasised that "all it takes is 1 good over and they're back in it"(c). Perhaps this can give teams a false sense of security if they're not confident enough to go all out?

In ODIs, if you're "pacing" the innings below RRR for too long you fall so far behind that teams slog away and then get dismissed for far less than the total. In T20, the penalty does not seem so harsh if chasing a low-to-modest total.
yup exactly

Wickets in hand is worthless if you get down to, say, 30 off 18 balls. Regardless of wickets in hand that is tough.

NZ got off to a flier early tonight with wickets in hand and should have tried to keep going at at least the required rate, even if it meant getting to 3 or 4 down. Instead of winning 5 down on the last ball we might have won 6 or 7 down in the 17th or 18th over.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Revel mates, because it could be the last time NZ might be tasting victory this tour. :P
Are you really suggesting we're going to be whitewashed in the ODIs, a form of the game in which we have in recent times been far stronger than in T20s?

Polo23

International Debutant
yup exactly

Wickets in hand is worthless if you get down to, say, 30 off 18 balls. Regardless of wickets in hand that is tough.

NZ got off to a flier early tonight with wickets in hand and should have tried to keep going at at least the required rate, even if it meant getting to 3 or 4 down. Instead of winning 5 down on the last ball we might have won 6 or 7 down in the 17th or 18th over.
Or we might have been bowled out for 130.

I think you are being pretty unfair to the Indian bowlers here...I thought the spinners and Pathan at the end bowled very very well. Regardless...NZ won.

thierry henry

International Coach
Or we might have been bowled out for 130.

I think you are being pretty unfair to the Indian bowlers here...I thought the spinners and Pathan at the end bowled very very well. Regardless...NZ won.
Not really

We needed 90 off 14 overs with 9 wickets in hand

Honestly, we pretty much had a license to go nuts at that point- 9 wickets in hand! That's why I say, even if we had batted POORLY we probably would've won with 3 or 4 wickets to spare

thierry henry

International Coach
Regardless...NZ won.
I don't agree with changing an analysis of a run-chase from "terrible" to "awesome" based on whether or not you get home on the last ball.

I'm happy we won but pissed off with a poorly thought-out last 14 overs of the chase.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Not really

Honestly, we pretty much had a license to go nuts at that point- 9 wickets in hand! That's why I say, even if we had batted POORLY we probably would've won with 3 or 4 wickets to spare
That's a valid point really, and one of the advantages the current Black Caps team has with Southee at 10, we have the batting in the lower order again to afford to lose early wickets. I didn't see the game but it sounds like Harbhajan was superb again mind. He's certainly going to be a hand-full in the ODIs.

Anyone know who won the Masters game btw?

Polo23

International Debutant
Not really

Can't say i'm worried. It's a T20 for one, it's a complete gamble. Some days things will come off, some days they wont. We didn't bat particularly well today and we still won. Bring on the semi-real cricket.

thierry henry

International Coach
Can't say i'm worried. It's a T20 for one, it's a complete gamble. Some days things will come off, some days they wont. We didn't bat particularly well today and we still won. Bring on the semi-real cricket.
My concern is that ever since Moles took over we have consistently batted this way in limited overs cricket.

Most obviously, McCullum has played in an almost identical manner in every game since Moles took over. In most cases, imo, his scoring rate has been too slow for the game situation,

My impression is that Moles and the Black Caps think they are being terribly clever but actually are not. If players were just out of form it'd be ok, my problem is they are deliberately playing this way so it's unlikely to change.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
2 in 2 - oh dear. Our custom Twenty20 choking appears to be on the cards again.

Come on Brendon!
That was a terrible batting performance

Guptill, Taylor, and McCullum bar the last 3 balls came within about 50cm of costing us a match that it was almost impossible to lose after our first 6 overs of batting
I can't believe Vettori- we made practically exactly the same score, chasing the same score, in the T20 v Australia which he called "one of the worst chases he'd ever seen". Save for the last 3 balls this was an action replay in terms of lack of intent and inability to score at a vaguely acceptable rate through the middle overs.
8-)8-)8-) to both of you. I see James never actually came back and admitted he might have been wrong with his prediction of "our custom Twenty20" choke. And, well, thierry henry's negativity knows no bounds. We won - McCullum timed his run to perfection. Enjoy it, FFS.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Because your tone suggested implicit denial of any crowd trouble.

In case it didnt, my apologies, I;ve become far too defensive post the moderators royal ditching of me here.

Yep, the TVs didn't tell anything.
Reading the last 2 pages, I get the impression NZ lost than won :unsure:

The last few pages give me the impression that you just need to cool your jets a bit. Also stop treating every post as an attack on yourself or the Indian team.