• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

Polo23

International Debutant
No way, I don't think I ever said I was giving away bowling. Just that I'm now concentrating on improving my batting to a point where I'm not in direct competition with Tuffey/Mills/Martin for a seam bowler's spot.
Move to Otago, everyone else is!

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
To the point about quick bowling on slow decks:

It doesn't affect your pace directly at all, but Jesus it's hard to come steaming in on a dust bowl with no bounce or carry. More often than not quick bowlers are resigned to their fate and concentrate more on areas and variations on that sort of deck. Or at least that's the advice we're given. :)

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
What have ya had to do with the Auckz setup? Same as Jimmy or club cricket or something?
Nah my Dad said I had to choose between cricket or football - went for the latter.

Played Howick Pak when I was younger. Went to school with Kyle for a while and we use to train together at the nets a lot and at my old man's work. You know, in a gymnasium, all day, epic matches, toys occasionaly thrown out of the cot.

I then went to St Kents, he at Macleans - played him a few times there too. Deadset looks just like his old man.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah my Dad said I had to choose between cricket or football - went for the latter.

Played Howick Pak when I was younger. Went to school with Kyle for a while and we use to train together at the nets a lot and at my old man's work. You know, in a gymnasium, all day, epic matches, toys occasionaly thrown out of the cot.

I then went to St Kents, he at Macleans - played him a few times there too. Deadset looks just like his old man.
Gunnnnn

Shoulda played cricket, go pwn some ND n00bs

Howsie

International Captain
Depends on the difintion of quick I spose, by club standards than yea, but say internationals doubt it unless hes now quicker.

Good to see a guy who can move the ball though.
Yeah fast for a 18 year old, and fast enough for me.:unsure:

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Te Ahu would be lucky to bowl high 130s now and he's 23. He bowled 130s when he was 15? I doubt it.
Te Ahu is capable of bowling in the 140's, he has been instructed to control his pace to try and get his line and length sorted first.

Also on that note, James Franklin has not much quicker (or bigger) than when he was at college.

Flem274*

123/5
Te Ahu is capable of bowling in the 140's, he has been instructed to control his pace to try and get his line and length sorted first.

Also on that note, James Franklin has not much quicker (or bigger) than when he was at college.
Jimmy was clocked as reasonably nippy in his younger days iirc, not sure what his injury has done to that though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy was clocked as reasonably nippy in his younger days iirc, not sure what his injury has done to that though.
When he was 18 he was very much a medium pacer, probably no more than 120 tops. By the time he first entered the NZ team at 20 he was a touch faster, probably averaging 125, and he stayed that way for several seasons until he broke into the side against England in 2004. Then he was instructed to try and up his pace, which he did pretty effectively, and before his injury he was getting it through probably closer to 135 regularly. I even remember him bowling at 144 once, though that might have been a speed gun error. Since his injury though, he seems to have dropped back to 125-130 pace bracket again. Here's hoping he can get back to where he was.

thierry henry

International Coach
When Franklin played his first ODIs against Zimbabwe in 2000/01 I distinctly remember him bowling a lot between 130-132. I remember because when a new bowler comes along the radar is one of the first things you look at, and I remember being mildly impressed because he was such a youngster and he had been touted as more an all-rounder than a genuine front-line bowler.

He actually went backwards in pace a little bit imo, or at least became more inconsistent- e.g. when he bowled a whole new-ball spell in the low 120s v Australia at Adelaide in 2004/05, which he copped a lot of criticism for. However, even within the course of that season he was bowling mid-130s in the home series against the same opposition.

Even post injury he still showed v the West Indies that he can bowl mid-130s- he just seems content to bowl high 120s quite often, it almost seems like laziness. He obviously thinks he can be effective at that pace but I really don't think so.

thierry henry

International Coach
I even remember him bowling at 144 once, though that might have been a speed gun error.
Actually that just rung a bell- was it the 2005/06 ODIs v West Indies? I don't think that was an error- I remember one spell where he bowled several balls over 140. Shane Bond was bowling from the other end and Franklin was just as quick.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
When Franklin played his first ODIs against Zimbabwe in 2000/01 I distinctly remember him bowling a lot between 130-132. I remember because when a new bowler comes along the radar is one of the first things you look at, and I remember being mildly impressed because he was such a youngster and he had been touted as more an all-rounder than a genuine front-line bowler.

He actually went backwards in pace a little bit imo, or at least became more inconsistent- e.g. when he bowled a whole new-ball spell in the low 120s v Australia at Adelaide in 2004/05, which he copped a lot of criticism for. However, even within the course of that season he was bowling mid-130s in the home series against the same opposition.

Even post injury he still showed v the West Indies that he can bowl mid-130s- he just seems content to bowl high 120s quite often, it almost seems like laziness. He obviously thinks he can be effective at that pace but I really don't think so.
He's a head dropper and foot dragger and it's always pissed me off.

bryce

International Regular
His problem is that too often he bowls on the pads/down leg, too wide or overpitches and it's very hard to build pressure when you give up so many freebies which imo is why he's struggled so much in the one-day game . I still reckon he could be an ODI bowler if he fixes his accuracy issues and builds up even more confidence in his bowling ability, and a definite future possibility for the IPL

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
His problem is that too often he bowls on the pads/down leg, too wide or overpitches and it's very hard to build pressure when you give up so many freebies which imo is why he's struggled so much in the one-day game . I still reckon he could be an ODI bowler if he fixes his accuracy issues and builds up even more confidence in his bowling ability, and a definite future possibility for the IPL
So he's doing everything wrong? **** he's broke, no one can fix him. At least McClenaganananan has pace. Suppose all he needs to do is learn line, length and width. Piece of cake compared to Franklin.

Flem274*

123/5
So he's doing everything wrong? **** he's broke, no one can fix him. At least McClenaganananan has pace. Suppose all he needs to do is learn line, length and width. Piece of cake compared to Franklin.
James Franklin is a very good test bowler. He likes the tempting half volley length, much like Mitchell Johnson, and both their records indicate that if you can do it well, it works.

The problem with this is it makes both very hittable in the more agressive ODI game, and as a result both cop some hammerings.

Also your assertion that Franklin is a quitter is wrong, otherwise he would have rolled over and died with the rest of the Direbirds this season.

Mitchell McClenaghan is no where near as good as James Franklin and its extremely likely he never will be.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have spied another Zimbabwean playing cricket in New Zealand. Former opener and captain for Zimbabwe a few years ago, Terry Duffin is playing for Northland.