• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I think he's good. Whenever I've trained with him he's actually swung it quite a bit, so I don't know why he can't do that in games (according to posters here). He's got good pace and bounce. I think it's a fair selection.

No matter how much I wish they'd taken an Aces seamer...... :dry:
Ever faced Davis? So who's this Aces bowler you think should have been picked?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Ever faced Davis? So who's this Aces bowler you think should have been picked?
Yea I faced him about a month ago. He was reasonably quick, but not by any means unsettling. He was erratic and hotheaded. If you talked back to him when he was bowling he started to bowl garbage, from what we saw.

No Aces bowlers are really good enough to be picked, that's the problem.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Do the Aces have any good 'emerging' young seamers? Greg Morgan seems too slow to be much of a force on the international stage and besides him the Aces cupboard looks pretty bare!
Umm not really. Lance Shaw and his brother Gareth are both very similar players.

James Fuller is an u19 player who plays for Otago at the moment because he's at Uni there, but his loyalties lie with Auckland I think. He gets good shape away from the right hander and good bounce.

Lockie Ferguson is a raw young talent who's still at school, but on his day he can be extremely uncomfortable to face, he was a non-traveller for nz 19s this year.

Rowan Bezuidenhout is another young one who's taking bucketloads of wickets in club cricket this year. The only problem is that he chucks the **** out of it.

Flem274*

123/5
Umm not really. Lance Shaw and his brother Gareth are both very similar players.

James Fuller is an u19 player who plays for Otago at the moment because he's at Uni there, but his loyalties lie with Auckland I think. He gets good shape away from the right hander and good bounce.

Lockie Ferguson is a raw young talent who's still at school, but on his day he can be extremely uncomfortable to face, he was a non-traveller for nz 19s this year.

Rowan Bezuidenhout is another young one who's taking bucketloads of wickets in club cricket this year. The only problem is that he chucks the **** out of it.
How and what do these guys bowl? Swing, seam, pace? etc etc

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
How and what do these guys bowl? Swing, seam, pace? etc etc
Lance and Gareth both swing it, not very quickly though.

Fuller bowls from height, gets good bounce and shapes it away from the righty.

Lockie can bowl rapid on his day. He's a shoulder bowler who has issues with rhythm quite often. He hits the deck hard. When he's really on fire he gets shape away from the righty as well.

Rowan bowls pretty gun-barrel straight but gets some movement off the seam. Also has a pretty quick bouncer.

Polo23

International Debutant
McClenaghan is absolutely destroying the Poms.

Currently has figures of 4/36 off 13.

Has the wickets of Denly, Morgan, Wright and Scott, two bowled and two caught behind.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
McClenaghan is absolutely destroying the Poms.

Currently has figures of 4/36 off 13.

Has the wickets of Denly, Morgan, Wright and Scott, two bowled and two caught behind.
Was just going to post that - 180/8 is pretty devastating, I wonder what the wicket is like.

Can someone clarify - does England Lions = England A?

Also wonder if there would be more English posters interested in these games if they were in a separate thread, rather than the NZ domestic thread.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Was just going to post that - 180/8 is pretty devastating, I wonder what the wicket is like.

Can someone clarify - does England Lions = England A?

Also wonder if there would be more English posters interested in these games if they were in a separate thread, rather than the NZ domestic thread.
Yes the England Lions are England A, although I must say I'm a bit bemused as to why Hoggard wasn't included in the side, guess they must be pushing for a youngish squad.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So England's second team more or less is being demolished by a bunch of 'emerging players' (which I guess for the most part means guys with some obvious talent but who are not even proven at domestic level).

Wow

Polo23

International Debutant
So England's second team more or less is being demolished by a bunch of 'emerging players' (which I guess for the most part means guys with some obvious talent but who are not even proven at domestic level).

Wow
Yep, that's pretty much spot on.

The only proven domestic players in the NZ lineup are McIntosh, Styris and Hiini. The rest are VERY raw and some arent even regulars in NZ domestic cricket (Allen, Beard, Wilson, Davis).

Eng A play NZ A in two unofficial tests next month.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd be worried as an England supporter.

McClennaghan in the form of his life. Bet he'll play against India in the tests, bet ya, we're always looking for someone quicker than 140, regardless of ability.