• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Further to my earlier post, please note the following from the NZC website:

"Non batters are M McClenaghan(NZ Emerging XI) and M Davies(England Lions)
Match is 12 a side (11 batting)
Please note B Scott(England Lions) is not in playing 12 but is sub wicketkeeper"

The subtext to this is "Unless England bat like ****e in which case we reserve the right to let Scott bat"

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
In the legendary words of bowls commentator Stu Scott "It's shake hands time" in Lincoln. Pretty good effort from the "Emerging" side, clearly held their own against their more seasoned opposition.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding some earlier posts, yeah not a great start to the tour but it seems the lions are taking the first teams habit of playing crap in the first tour game, lets hope they don't carry on the recent first teams tradition of doing crap throughout the tour.

In all seriousness though, should reserve judgment on the side until the A tests start but if you think that any of the England A top 6 wouldn't be under consideration for similar representation in NZ you are kidding yourselves. Fair enough the bowling is absolute **** tbf

Flem274*

123/5
Regarding some earlier posts, yeah not a great start to the tour but it seems the lions are taking the first teams habit of playing crap in the first tour game, lets hope they don't carry on the recent first teams tradition of doing crap throughout the tour.

In all seriousness though, should reserve judgment on the side until the A tests start but if you think that any of the England A top 6 wouldn't be under consideration for similar representation in NZ you are kidding yourselves. Fair enough the bowling is absolute **** tbf
Oh yeah there's some bloody good batsmen in there (though they should be castrated for getting out to Davis and McClennaghan), in fact the batting line up for both teams is pretty good, the bowling however.....

Flem274*

123/5
I'm interested in Greg Hay's dramatic fall from grace. What the hell happened there?
Poor form+Brad Patton=dropped.

Seriously, if we (CD) had the amount of quality fast bowlers as we do batsmen, we'd be test standard.

But we don't, so we're not.

Polo23

International Debutant
Poor form+Brad Patton=dropped.

Seriously, if we (CD) had the amount of quality fast bowlers as we do batsmen, we'd be test standard.

But we don't, so we're not.
Yeah, but where did the sudden run of such TERRIBLE form come from? And why hasn't he batted his way out of it yet? Last season he was incredibly close to going on the Eng tour, now he can't even make the CD side.

Surely there is something more to it...how can someone go from being the best domestic batsman in the country over the past two season, to getting dropped from his domestic side?

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, but where did the sudden run of such TERRIBLE form come from? And why hasn't he batted his way out of it yet? Last season he was incredibly close to going on the Eng tour, now he can't even make the CD side.

Surely there is something more to it...how can someone go from being the best domestic batsman in the country over the past two season, to getting dropped from his domestic side?
No idea. The bowling is arguably worse, the pitches are far flatter, Moles said in an extremely ND biased interview before the England tour that he has technical issues with getting the ball off the square, and that his main areas are square of the wicket, so perhaps he's been found out, but somehow the idea of Joe Yovich or Dwayne Bowden owning a talented but technically flawed batsman doesn't work, they're too crap.

In short, NFI.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm interested in Greg Hay's dramatic fall from grace. What the hell happened there?
Post a question up in Mathew Sinclair's blog on CW, he's wanting questions and that might well interest him.

If anyone can give a bit of inside knowledge on him, it's Mathew.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
McClenaghan answering a few of his critics on here with 1 wicket for no runs off 2 overs. England floundering again at 8/2.

FBU

International Debutant
What's Scott Styris doing in this team? I would have thought he might be in the A team with Franklin and How.

Polo23

International Debutant
What's Scott Styris doing in this team? I would have thought he might be in the A team with Franklin and How.
Being in either team makes no sense since he's retired from test cricket. I guess the selectors want to give him some game time before the OD series.

Flem274*

123/5
McClenaghan answering a few of his critics on here with 1 wicket for no runs off 2 overs. England floundering again at 8/2.
He's capable of the odd good performance, but my hopes for him getting accurate aren't high when he has that James Anderson head drop thing.

He's ****ed up too many games for CD for me to rate him atm. :p

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
What are your thoughts on him making the NZA team?
I think he's good. Whenever I've trained with him he's actually swung it quite a bit, so I don't know why he can't do that in games (according to posters here). He's got good pace and bounce. I think it's a fair selection.

No matter how much I wish they'd taken an Aces seamer...... :dry:

Polo23

International Debutant
Do the Aces have any good 'emerging' young seamers? Greg Morgan seems too slow to be much of a force on the international stage and besides him the Aces cupboard looks pretty bare!

Flem274*

123/5
I think he's good. Whenever I've trained with him he's actually swung it quite a bit, so I don't know why he can't do that in games (according to posters here). He's got good pace and bounce. I think it's a fair selection.

:laugh:

Yeah all the times I've seen him he hasn't really moved it, yet others say he can. Possibly only if its really really humid/cloudy?

Flem274*

123/5
Do the Aces have any good 'emerging' young seamers? Greg Morgan seems too slow to be much of a force on the international stage and besides him the Aces cupboard looks pretty bare!
Greg Morgan bats better than he bowls. If he could become a proper number 6 though, he has a future imo.