• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Precambrian

Banned
TBF that guy arrived in Christchurch on friday when it was pouring all day. And it hasnt been great the last few days either. and he is an Indian writer so anything under 40 degrees would be pretty chilly.
Wow. Such an informed post about Indian conditions.

FYI, India's temperature ranges from 0 degrees to 50 degrees. My place, though never registers anything above 35 degrees in peak summer and nothing below 24 degrees in peak winter. Those who have experienced 40 degrees might as well have experienced below 15.

Precambrian

Banned
Indian tours are the best thing for countries such as NZ, WI and SL.

Lot of whinging in this thread atm.
Too true. Everyone's pet hate is BCCI. But conveniently forgets how it is virtually sustaining cricket in the whole world these days. Give credit when due.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Too true. Everyone's pet hate is BCCI. But conveniently forgets how it is virtually sustaining cricket in the whole world these days. Give credit when due.
I'm not suggesting people have to like the BCCI, but what gets me is that people complain about campaigns such as "rock stars of cricket" and the popularity of Indian cricketers (hence people wanting them to lose) etc. but when the money that this sort of publicity brings to the countries India tours, the boards and fans are more than happy for it to all come in so the host country can flourish.

Bit hypocritical. Particularly when NZ cricketers have themselves said to be have been slightly star struck (If I'm Neil Broom I'd be quite star struck of Sachin, just how I bet Irfan Pathan was star struck with Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne the first time he played them).
True. Way too much Tendulkar sucking there. I, being one of the biggest fans of him in these forums, feel ashamed at that article. It could have belonged to the miscellanous section, but tour diary? Gimme a break. It is right up there with the Ponting articles during the SA in Aus series.
Tbf almost always when Sachin tours Eng, NZ or Aust, there are always talks about how he actually has the chance to walk around on the streets without being approached, and doesn't have 6+ security guards around him.

I don't think its Sachin love in that article (although the "Hey wait the master is batting" line was cringeworthy), that's a fairly typical tour diary entry. A random playful instance within the Indian team before the series starts.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
I'm not suggesting people have to like the BCCI, but what gets me is that people complain about campaigns such as "rock stars of cricket" and the popularity of Indian cricketers (hence people wanting them to lose) etc. but when the money that this sort of publicity brings to the countries India tours, the boards and fans are more than happy for it to all come in so the host country can flourish.

Bit hypocritical. Particularly when NZ cricketers have themselves said to be have been slightly star struck (If I'm Neil Broom I'd be quite star struck of Sachin, just how I bet Irfan Pathan was star struck with Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne the first time he played them).

Tbf almost always when Sachin tours Eng, NZ or Aust, there are always talks about how he actually has the chance to walk around on the streets without being approached, and doesn't have 6+ security guards around him.

I don't think its Sachin love in that article (although the "Hey wait the master is batting" line was cringeworthy), that's a fairly typical tour diary entry. A random playful instance within the Indian team before the series starts.
One time it is okay. But when it becomes repetitive in tour diaries it becomes cringeworthy (batting sessions entries).

As to BCCI, we are more or less on the same boat. I am not marketing for BCCI. But I feel it is more jealousy than rightful indignation that does the round here in these forums. The nadir was when some poster suggested IPL should allow for more than 4 players in the playing XI and going as far as suggesting Indian domestic players don't deserve to be in the XI. ****ing ridiculous.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
One time it is okay. But when it becomes repetitive in tour diaries it becomes cringeworthy (batting sessions entries).

As to BCCI, we are more or less on the same boat. I am not marketing for BCCI. But I feel it is more jealousy than rightful indignation that does the round here in these forums. The nadir was when some poster suggested IPL should allow for more than 4 players in the playing XI and going as far as suggesting Indian domestic players don't deserve to be in the XI. ****ing ridiculous.
That is ridiculous. However, in other areas I think there is a cause for some quite rightful indignation, particularly in New Zealand where we lost our best player due to a BCCI directive.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
But I cannot understand why the Indian media hate. Cricinfo is a UK site.
I'm guessing that Sidharth Monga is an Indian name? He wrote the article. Also, not to be pedantic or anything, but Cricinfo is owned by ESPN, so it is in fact American, technically.

To be fair, Taylor did say "some of the younger players are a bit star struck", so you can't fault them for quoting him.
Actually that's not quite what he said, and it seems ridiculous to lead the article with a quote that is basically conjecture on the part of one player. Besides, the younger players were probably just as "star-struck" by the likes of Ricky Ponting.

Indian tours are the best thing for countries such as NZ, WI and SL.
In terms of money, yes, but it's a bit grating how it's constantly being hyped up as the end-all be-all. The money is a necessary evil and it's great to have it, but I care a ****load more about the actual cricket than I do about the economics, and let's face it - who's the more interesting touring side? The Aussies or South Africans who always come and play to a high standard, or the Indians who have been coming for forty years and leave having won precisely nothing?

Credit for what? Exploiting a massive population? And what has it got NZ exactly? The status of a second tier nation who are supposed to be cloyingly grateful for the scraps that fall off the grown-ups' table. The Indian board are like the nouveau riche, wealthy and powerful, but ultimately lacking in humility and class. It's ironic that we still occasionally hear about how the reins of power have justly been wrestled from the evil old English, and yet the Indian board are acting with the same born-to-rule mentality and sense of entitlement that the MCC/TCCB did for all those decades.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In terms of money, yes, but it's a bit grating how it's constantly being hyped up as the end-all be-all. The money is a necessary evil and it's great to have it, but I care a ****load more about the actual cricket than I do about the economics, and let's face it - who's the more interesting touring side? The Aussies or South Africans who always come and play to a high standard, or the Indians who have been coming for forty years and leave having won precisely nothing?
Its the NZ board that are hyping it up as the be all and end all.

Clearly India weren't the powerhouse they are now 40 years ago, so that point is fairly moot. Even in 2002/03 when they last toured, they weren't dominating the market as much as they do now.
It's ironic that we still occasionally hear about how the reins of power have justly been wrestled from the evil old English, and yet the Indian board are acting with the same born-to-rule mentality and sense of entitlement that the MCC/TCCB did for all those decades.
Haha, nah the irony actually exists in the opposite way... with the people complaining now were those who were happy to sit around and see the MCC rule cricket with an iron fist are now having a whinge.

What exactly about this tour are NZ fans being pissed off about? FFS, yell at Harbhajan all you like, that's fine... he's a dick. But this Indian tour is bringing interest to a NZ series. I'm sorry but the reality is that the million times SL have toured NZ over the last 5 years, there was hardly an iota of interest from the general cricketing public. Even I got sick of seeing Vaas bowl to a random NZ opener.

This series is good for cricket. If people would shut up and watch it, they will enjoy what I imagine to be a terrific contest.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What exactly about this tour are NZ fans being pissed off about? FFS, yell at Harbhajan all you like, that's fine... he's a dick. But this Indian tour is bringing interest to a NZ series. I'm sorry but the reality is that the million times SL have toured NZ over the last 5 years, there was hardly an iota of interest from the general cricketing public. Even I got sick of seeing Vaas bowl to a random NZ opener.

This series is good for cricket. If people would shut up and watch it, they will enjoy what I imagine to be a terrific contest.
This. They even agreed to an extra Test which is unheard of for an Indian board. Bitching for bitching's sake a lot of what's gone on in this thread.

Dick Rockett

Its the NZ board that are hyping it up as the be all and end all.
So what? No-one listens to them.

Clearly India weren't the powerhouse they are now 40 years ago, so that point is fairly moot. Even in 2002/03 when they last toured, they weren't dominating the market as much as they do now.
India now aren't even close to the force that Australia have been for the last 15 years, so why exactly should we be any more excited than we were six years ago? I want to make it clear that back then and now, I was excited to have them here as both sides were/are awesome. It'd just be nice for the cricketing media to get a little bit more perspective and calm the **** down - and for what it's worth, aside from NZC banging on about the money being thrown about on this tour and associated reportage, the media interest in the actual cricket hasn't been much different to any other tour by any other country.

Haha, nah the irony actually exists in the opposite way... with the people complaining now were those who were happy to sit around and see the MCC rule cricket with an iron fist are now having a whinge.
I doubt that most people here on CW are old enough to ever have understood the politics back when England ran the game, and for those that are, how do you know they were happy with the status quo? I for one don't think NZ, for example, has ever been particularly well treated by any regime that's ever run the game.

What exactly about this tour are NZ fans being pissed off about?

I can't speak for everyone else but I'm pissed off about the whole "ZOMG!!!1!1!!!, India are touring, let's all break out the lube and tissues while thinking about how truly godlike the players are and how much money the BCCI makes from selling the TV Rights of their team pwning our crappy little team of loser no-hopers!!!1!!!!1!

If only it were solely about your last sentence, then yes, it would be great. That said, i'm looking forward to it :)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't speak for everyone else but I'm pissed off about the whole "ZOMG!!!1!1!!!, India are touring, let's all break out the lube and tissues while thinking about how truly godlike the players are and how much money the BCCI makes from selling the TV Rights of their team pwning our crappy little team of loser no-hopers!!!1!!!!1!
Heh, where exactly did you get the idea that this is even remotely close to the mark.

Dick Rockett

Heh, where exactly did you get the idea that this is even remotely close to the mark.
Ok, because generally what I'm reading in non-NZ media about this tour is that:

1. India are teh awesumest evar.
2. NZ will be pwned.
3. Don't even think about contradicting point 2.
4. Did we mention that India generates (insert gigantic amount of money here) and that without them NZ Cricket would shrivel and die?
5. For some reason the weather in NZ isn't to our liking and we feel that we should constantly mention it.

I mean seriously, did you even read the article that started this whole debate? That's what I'm talking about. It was an extreme example, but still. All I ask is for a spot of respect, perspective and - dare I say it - professional journalism instead of cheerleading. That's what the Channel 9 commentary team is for.

Last edited:

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
i cannot wait for tomorrow got myself some Paul Kelly row A seats. This thread is spicy hope the series is of high drama and the black caps dont back down.

Weather was horrible today, it may have had effect on the indians one never knows. But it has stopped raining now though. meant to be fine tomorow.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
for what it's worth, aside from NZC banging on about the money being thrown about on this tour and associated reportage, the media interest in the actual cricket hasn't been much different to any other tour by any other country.
If that's the case, there's not that much to be pissed about then? Only the rockstar ads (and the recent Cricinfo article) are non-NZC hype right? The article was a good one bar its title IMO, Taylor spoke really well. Loving Ross lately :)
I for one don't think NZ, for example, has ever been particularly well treated by any regime that's ever run the game.
That's true, and it sucks. But surely tours like this (especially if it is a good contest, but even before the cricket starts...) are good for New Zealand cricket? Let the money come in, even if it has to result in some Hollywood like advertising to bring attention to it.
Fair enough, but going back on my previous points. Either...
a) Has it really been that bad? I can't speak, I live in Melbourne... but other than the Rockstar ads and a few Cricinfo articles, you yourself said the media coverage hasn't been that big on it. And you can't blame kids for wanting to go to Indian training sessions, India come far less often than Australia (the other real "big name" cricket nation).

or...

b) If there has been such hyperbolic advertising, isn't that something worth enduring to bring attention to the game of cricket in NZ, and also some much needed revenue which can only be good for NZ cricket around the country.

That said, i'm looking forward to it :)
I haven't been this pumped for a full tour since Ind in Aust. I stress full tour, because to me this is perfect. Yes ideally there'd be one less 20/20 and one extra test, but still, Two 20/20s, Five ODIs and Three tests... now that's what I call a tour.

Not this 2 test and 5/7 ODI ****.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointed Customs didn't keep Harbhajan to his word by turning him away and throwing him back on the plane.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Lol.

What was the show Bhajji was on again? Border Security?
Yeah, I keep thinking it was called Border Patrol, but I think you're right with Border Security. He pompously declared he'd never tour here again yet.. here he is!

Dick Rockett

If that's the case, there's not that much to be pissed about then? Only the rockstar ads (and the recent Cricinfo article) are non-NZC hype right? The article was a good one bar its title IMO, Taylor spoke really well. Loving Ross lately :)

That's true, and it sucks. But surely tours like this (especially if it is a good contest, but even before the cricket starts...) are good for New Zealand cricket? Let the money come in, even if it has to result in some Hollywood like advertising to bring attention to it.

Fair enough, but going back on my previous points. Either...
a) Has it really been that bad? I can't speak, I live in Melbourne... but other than the Rockstar ads and a few Cricinfo articles, you yourself said the media coverage hasn't been that big on it. And you can't blame kids for wanting to go to Indian training sessions, India come far less often than Australia (the other real "big name" cricket nation).

or...

b) If there has been such hyperbolic advertising, isn't that something worth enduring to bring attention to the game of cricket in NZ, and also some much needed revenue which can only be good for NZ cricket around the country.
I haven't seen the ads, but hyperbole is kinda what you expect with advertising. It's the actual "journalists" writing about this tour that piss me off. I mean, the other day there was one story banging on about New Zealand's "famous" winds? Wtf is that about? Why make stuff up?

Anyway, we can definitely both agree that this tour will be jolly absorbing :)