• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The forgotten man here seems to be Adil Rashid- someone who can bat as well as any of the bowlers, and offers something completely different. I wouldn't approve, but I would understand if the selectors opted to go with him.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
The forgotten man here seems to be Adil Rashid- someone who can bat as well as any of the bowlers, and offers something completely different. I wouldn't approve, but I would understand if the selectors opted to go with him.
Not a bad shout, if Swann is indeed a doubt for the fourth test, then he would strengthen the batting further, and would probobly warrant the selection of someone like Amjad Khan... If Swann is fit don't think he can replace Freddy though, as I've said Barbados is a seemer friendly track can't go in with two spinners...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not quite sure why everyone is disconuting Amjad Khan without even seeing him...
I've seen him, and I've also followed his career from the start. He's a very typical moderate county bowler - generally does just enough to keep a contract for next year but isn't really that good. The only thing that sets him apart from the crowd is that he's a bit quicker.

His typical season is to end with 50-odd wickets at 32-33, because he's had the odd really good game and quite a few bad ones, including quite a few where he's been expensive for a 4\5-for. I've not been all that surprised either - he's the sort of bowler who is undoubtedly capable of bowling very well but doesn't do it very often and is sometimes flattered by his figures when he doesn't. The very last thing you want in a Test bowler. I'd rather have someone from whom you can rely on to give you decent support bowling in most games rather than someone who'll offer you nothing most of the time and occasionally the potential to be devastating.

Steulen

International Regular
still awesome to have a danish player, playing for England.
DWTA. As a Danish player he should be representing Denmark. England is a foreign legion as it is, and if every half-talented cricketer from outside the Test nations keeps getting drafted into the England squad, cricket will always remain a closed shop.

Folks like Ed Joyce and Eoin Morgan should make Ireland a force to be reckoned with instead of dreaming about Ashes involvement.
Actually, I can't blame the players themselves for it but it does make cricket look like a gentlemen's club closed to anyone of dubious pedigree.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DWTA. As a Danish player he should be representing Denmark. England is a foreign legion as it is, and if every half-talented cricketer from outside the Test nations keeps getting drafted into the England squad, cricket will always remain a closed shop.

Folks like Ed Joyce and Eoin Morgan should make Ireland a force to be reckoned with instead of dreaming about Ashes involvement.
Actually, I can't blame the players themselves for it but it does make cricket look like a gentlemen's club closed to anyone of dubious pedigree.
In terms of Ireland it just serves whichever idiot decided to try to split-up England and Ireland right for trying. England and Ireland should be a united cricket front, even if that isn't practically possible.

Have a bit more sympathy with Holland, Denmark etc. but does anyone honestly imagine Denmark can ever be a serious cricketing power?

Steulen

International Regular
In terms of Ireland it just serves whichever idiot decided to try to split-up England and Ireland right for trying. England and Ireland should be a united cricket front, even if that isn't practically possible.

Have a bit more sympathy with Holland, Denmark etc. but does anyone honestly imagine Denmark can ever be a serious cricketing power?
No, they won't, but surely you're pretty much making sure Denmark will never amount to anything by recruiting its best players for England duty, With Khan, they might sneak enough wins in the qualifying tournament to make it to the next World Cup, thus giving Danish cricket a real boost. Without him, they probably will not.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ireland and England are different countries who are you to judge that their shouldnt be an Irish national side?

Steulen

International Regular
Ireland and England are different countries who are you to judge that their shouldnt be an Irish national side?
Indeed. After a looooong time Richard manages to amaze me with an opinion again. Might ask James to knock 2,000 posts of my count tbh.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Scotland and England being the same country I say...hmm fair enough...

but there is actual water between England and Ireland!