• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah and it's all very true, that's why I am in favour of him playing all of the tests until the Ashes to finally prove that he is not good enough. Surely after another five tests everyone will finally give up hope. Either that or by some miracle they mythical Harmison of 2004 will reappear

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Don't think that is true at all. Nasser was captain after all. Think Ali can count himself a tad unlucky but so can Hoggard who was dumped the same time as Harmison but hasn't even been conisdered since. Similarly the likes of Sidebottom were ignored under Fletcher.
I would not agree with that. I don't think prejudice exists in England cricket selection, I just think he has been ignored because his wickets were taken in Divison 2 and there is a perceived issue that he lacks pace as in his last international stint. He seems to have put on a yard of pace though.
Remind me again what lineage Amjad Khan and Ravinder Bopara have?
Bollocks.
Clearly my suggestion was met with open arms... not often do I admit that I am wrong... so I wont start now :) just eager to throw down that race card...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah and it's all very true, that's why I am in favour of him playing all of the tests until the Ashes to finally prove that he is not good enough. Surely after another five tests everyone will finally give up hope. Either that or by some miracle they mythical Harmison of 2004 will reappear
Much as it will surely happene eventually (the former, not the latter), I don't think it'll be for a while. There's been at least 2 previous occasions where I've thought it has happened.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would seriously think of putting in Khan for Harmison for the next test - will never in a million years happen.
A poor capped player > a poor uncapped player.

Only because I hate to see yet more players capped who are patently not good enough. There's enough England caps given to undeserving players and will doubtless be many more down the line. If I were in charge I'd do things like that to keep said capsters to a minimum.

FBU

International Debutant
The Windies will truly prosper when they find a decent 3rd pace option.

I'm really liking the look of what Taylor and Edwards have become in the last year or so, they've got the potential to be one of the best pace bowling duos around, but they need a tidy 3rd man to keep the pressure on when they take a break.
I would have thought Taylor, Edwards and Lawson would have been a good combination.

Robbie Joseph has been called up to the Lions squad in NZ to replace Khan. Joseph has been playing for the Leeward Islands. Both have problems with no balls. Joseph 154 in 39 games and Khan 321 in 63 games. Both play for the same county.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As Goughy has said previously in this thread and others, if Harmison only bowls around 80mph there are far better operaters in the country who bowl that pace but pitch the ball up and are far more accurate.Of the top of my head...

Davies
Shreck
Chapple
Hoggard
Tremlett
Kabir
TBF Shreck & Tremmers are both more back of a length bowlers in the Harmison mode.

There must be some prejudicial issues, to ignore the likes of Shah and Ali is a bit suspect, and there are others in the past of Asian persuasion that have been poorly dealt with...
None immediately spring to mind, I have to say. In fact I'd say we've been very welcoming to non-white cricketers on the whole. Without checking I would guess we've capped more cricketers of colour than Oz, NZ & SA put together, in fact.

No one came say Ramps, for instance, wasn't given a fair crack of the whip. Played over 50 tests based on very meagre returns.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think that is true at all. Nasser was captain after all. Think Ali can count himself a tad unlucky but so can Hoggard who was dumped the same time as Harmison but hasn't even been conisdered since. Similarly the likes of Sidebottom were ignored under Fletcher.
fwiw Vaughan was captain when Ali played his one test, not that it changes the overall picture. However, if he starts this season in D1 as well as he did throughout last season in D2, he must come into contention.

shivfan

Banned
I would have thought Taylor, Edwards and Lawson would have been a good combination.

Robbie Joseph has been called up to the Lions squad in NZ to replace Khan. Joseph has been playing for the Leeward Islands. Both have problems with no balls. Joseph 154 in 39 games and Khan 321 in 63 games. Both play for the same county.
Sounds like Robbie Joseph needs to make up his mind....
:unsure:
Is he an Englishman or a West Indian? He can't play for both the Leewards and the Lions.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like Robbie Joseph needs to make up his mind....
:unsure:
Is he an Englishman or a West Indian? He can't play for both the Leewards and the Lions.
Lol, he was in India with the EPP before Christmas and nearly made the squad itfp...don't think he was ever playing for Leewards with the intention of playing for the WI, more just to play some cricket over the close season especially since he missed part of last year with injury.

shivfan

Banned
Lol, he was in India with the EPP before Christmas and nearly made the squad itfp...don't think he was ever playing for Leewards with the intention of playing for the WI, more just to play some cricket over the close season especially since he missed part of last year with injury.
Yes, but if he plays for the Leewards, and he's intending to play for England, he's keeping a potential WI player out of the side.

Cricket in the Caribbean is a largely amateur pursuit. I don't see why the Leewards should be helping England out, when the region has its own huge obstacles to climb. Already, the season is short enough, without the Leewards giving away a bowling place to England.
:dry:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, they just had the third test 2 hour hghlight wrap on Foxtel.

I've recorded the last half hour - to be brought out during those times in my life when I'm feeling depressed.

shivfan

Banned
It should do though, that's the point.

No-one should get the Test call-up based on 1 innings, even if that innings is 282.
Simmons is currently 148 not out, batting for Trinidad against Guyana, and he's moved up to second on the run-scorers tables, so it's no longer one innings....
:happy:
He's scored a big double against England in St Kitts, is on the verge of a big one here, and has scored three half-centuries as well.

I think the time is right for the in-form Simmons to be given a shot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, they just had the third test 2 hour hghlight wrap on Foxtel.

I've recorded the last half hour - to be brought out during those times in my life when I'm feeling depressed.
Yeah, ditto me and the SA run-chase at The WACA recently, and the collapse at Eden Gardens in 2000/01.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I sincerely hope for Jermaine Lawson's and West Indies' sake he doesn't play for them again. He seems to have completely lost what little skill he had ITFP.

As for Edwards, still not getting this wow-he's-brilliant (or close to) from several people. Edwards is never going to be accurate enough to be an attack-leader and obviously he lacks height as well so this inaccuracy is compounded. Taylor is developing nicely but he too can be a second seamer at best in a really good attack, and Edwards a third as a strike (short-spell) bowler who'll have his on-days and off-days.

If West Indies are going to develop a truly good, rather than moderate and occasionally brilliant, attack they'll need a first, not third, seamer. One with a bit of height who can bowl the in-between length a la Garner \ Ambrose. Though obviously you can't expect bowlers as good as those two to come along two-a-penny, you really do need someone along those lines who's not quite as good.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Yes, but if he plays for the Leewards, and he's intending to play for England, he's keeping a potential WI player out of the side.

Cricket in the Caribbean is a largely amateur pursuit. I don't see why the Leewards should be helping England out, when the region has its own huge obstacles to climb. Already, the season is short enough, without the Leewards giving away a bowling place to England.
:dry:
Sound famililar, same situation in England with the kolpack stuff going on, not sure you can fault Leewards for trying to put out their best team, at least Joseph is technically West Indian where as all the Saffies playing kolpack are not English.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I sincerely hope for Jermaine Lawson's and West Indies' sake he doesn't play for them again. He seems to have completely lost what little skill he had ITFP.

As for Edwards, still not getting this wow-he's-brilliant (or close to) from several people. Edwards is never going to be accurate enough to be an attack-leader and obviously he lacks height as well so this inaccuracy is compounded. Taylor is developing nicely but he too can be a second seamer at best in a really good attack, and Edwards a third as a strike (short-spell) bowler who'll have his on-days and off-days.

If West Indies are going to develop a truly good, rather than moderate and occasionally brilliant, attack they'll need a first, not third, seamer. One with a bit of height who can bowl the in-between length a la Garner \ Ambrose. Though obviously you can't expect bowlers as good as those two to come along two-a-penny, you really do need someone along those lines who's not quite as good.
Think that's rather accurate, though Edwards has shown that he can give you some accuracy, dont see a lot of the top teams who have that sort of player that you describe there though... India - maybe with Sharma, and SA - maybe with Steyn, but apart from that don't see nothing arising from any of the other top countries to suggest that they too have a top class fast bowler...