• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Need to break this one very early tomorrow or else we're screwed. Hopefully those bribes we slipped the umpires will start paying off.

Woodster

International Captain
Would anticipate Bell would replace Freddie should he not make the next Test, although Rashid would offer an exciting option, would rather see Belly reinstated.

Chasing 360 on the last day no matter how many wickets they'd have lost would have been too tall an order you would think. If WI had lost none or just the one wicket, a draw may have been possible. England do need to break this one pretty quickly tomorrow, Steve Harmison was suggesting patience is key tomorrow, and he's spot on there. If the early wicket doesn't come or a decent partnership forms at some point, England must stick to the gameplans and remain patient.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it's the likeliest outcome, especially with Prior unavailable for the following test.
Our attack will look horribly thin, but they'll probbaly feel safer with 6 batsmen even if in reality they aren't.
If it's 1-1, I think we can just about afford a thin attack. If we're denied by rain tomorrow, we certainly can't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Need to break this one very early tomorrow or else we're screwed.
Bloody hell, you do know how to put "it's England so they can always bugger it up" ahead of common-sense.

The only thing that can save West Indies is if it rains. There is absolutely zero chance of them batting 90 overs with, in effect, three batsmen (Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Nash). Ramdin might last a bit, but Taylor, Benn, Powell and Edwards shouldn't. You'd expect them to fall over within, perhaps, 20 overs. That essentially means England have 70 overs to dismiss two of Chanderpaul, Sarwan and Nash, if it doesn't rain. Rain does seem likely, but if it should not arrive an England victory is pretty much a formality.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Bloody hell, you do know how to put "it's England so they can always bugger it up" ahead of common-sense.

The only thing that can save West Indies is if it rains. There is absolutely zero chance of them batting 90 overs with, in effect, three batsmen (Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Nash). Ramdin might last a bit, but Taylor, Benn, Powell and Edwards shouldn't. You'd expect them to fall over within, perhaps, 20 overs. That essentially means England have 70 overs to dismiss two of Chanderpaul, Sarwan and Nash, if it doesn't rain. Rain does seem likely, but if it should not arrive an England victory is pretty much a formality.
I reckon there's a chance, and not just saying that because I am West Indian, would expect 1 of the two at the crease to last practically the day, as they practically did against Australia, (I think) in the test we drew in the last series.

Think that if England go wicketless for first session which is entirely possible - if Strauss and Cook can do it why not Chanders and Sirwan - Then if one of them come out the situation is basically tailor made for Nash who can take as long as he likes to score his 30 odd runs... tail-enders havn't been that reliable of late (prime example being Powell in the test we lost against Sri Lanka in last series) but who's to say Taylor can't hang around along with Ramdin... Edwards and Powell have both been in over 50 partnerships in the last 3 tests we've played.... it's not totally out the question Richard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I reckon there's a chance, and not just saying that because I am West Indian, would expect 1 of the two at the crease to last practically the day, as they practically did against Australia, (I think) in the test we drew in the last series.

Think that if England go wicketless for first session which is entirely possible - if Strauss and Cook can do it why not Chanders and Sirwan - Then if one of them come out the situation is basically tailor made for Nash who can take as long as he likes to score his 30 odd runs... tail-enders havn't been that reliable of late (prime example being Powell in the test we lost against Sri Lanka in last series) but who's to say Taylor can't hang around along with Ramdin... Edwards and Powell have both been in over 50 partnerships in the last 3 tests we've played.... it's not totally out the question Richard.
OK, a few things - one, the pitch is playing rather differently now to how it was on the opening morning when Strauss and Cook lasted throughout it. Two, Strauss had at least two let-offs and the hope is that England won't allow Chanderpaul and company anything similar. Three, the Test in 2003 is 100% irrelevant - that pitch was a typical ARG surface that was attempted to be surpressed into a sporting one but which only lasted a day and a bit before flattening-out majorly. This one has gone the other way. It's still slow, but it's uneven enough, and is offering enough receptiveness to spin, to make batting 60-70 overs without losing 3 wickets just about impossible.

Swann just needs to bowl as he has throughout this match and even if none of the others look remotely threatening England should still win if there's no rain.

I'll say it again though - rain seems much more likely to fall than not to fall.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
OK, a few things - one, the pitch is playing rather differently now to how it was on the opening morning when Strauss and Cook lasted throughout it. Two, Strauss had at least two let-offs and the hope is that England won't allow Chanderpaul and company anything similar. Three, the Test in 2003 is 100% irrelevant - that pitch was a typical ARG surface that was attempted to be surpressed into a sporting one but which only lasted a day and a bit before flattening-out majorly. This one has gone the other way. It's still slow, but it's uneven enough, and is offering enough receptiveness to spin, to make batting 60-70 overs without losing 3 wickets just about impossible.

Swann just needs to bowl as he has throughout this match and even if none of the others look remotely threatening England should still win if there's no rain.

I'll say it again though - rain seems much more likely to fall than not to fall.
Don't think the pitch is doing much, especially nothing to worry the likes of Chanders and Sirwan, if anything the inconsistent bounce hasn't been as prominent as it was in spells in the match, Sirwan and Chanders look as permanent and comfertable as any batsmen have looked on this pitch, and now that Nash knows he doesn't have to go for any expansive cover drives he can play his natural game... obviously it's more probable than not that we'll get skittled before the 90 overs but it's not out of the question... but lets say if the rain cuts out 20 overs from the day I'd fancy our chances to draw

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sarwan and Chanderpaul looked completely at ease late in that last session, for sure. And with Chanderpaul you know full well that he can very easily keep doing that for hours on end. Sarwan, though, he quite often looks in no trouble at all as he's always had loads of time to play and has read length and loop from the spinners very well indeed. Yet he often gets out - as I noted during his first-innings, and as he duly demonstrated with his eventual dismissal. I'd be very disappointed if this second-innings happened to be one of the occasions where he did manage to bat for an eternity, especially given he's now made runs 2 innings' in a row already. Nash, well, he does often bat for hours (both with and without scoring runs), but again he's done it lots of late and is more than due a failure.

As I say, West Indies really do require just about every piece of the puzzle to fall into place to survive a slightly reduced, never mind full, day tomorrow. A significantly reduced day, though, is a different matter.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Sarwan and Chanderpaul looked completely at ease late in that last session, for sure. And with Chanderpaul you know full well that he can very easily keep doing that for hours on end. Sarwan, though, he quite often looks in no trouble at all as he's always had loads of time to play and has read length and loop from the spinners very well indeed. Yet he often gets out - as I noted during his first-innings, and as he duly demonstrated with his eventual dismissal. I'd be very disappointed if this second-innings happened to be one of the occasions where he did manage to bat for an eternity, especially given he's now made runs 2 innings' in a row already. Nash, well, he does often bat for hours (both with and without scoring runs), but again he's done it lots of late and is more than due a failure.

As I say, West Indies really do require just about every piece of the puzzle to fall into place to survive a slightly reduced, never mind full, day tomorrow. A significantly reduced day, though, is a different matter.
Fair enough, but the pieces of the puzzle have been falling in to place more often lately and I'm hoping they can again...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair enough, but the pieces of the puzzle have been falling in to place more often lately and I'm hoping they can again...
And likewise, the pieces haven't all that often fallen into place for England much of late (and sometimes when they have, England have just chucked them back on the floor again anyway) so I'm kinda hoping that one is due...

haroon510

International 12th Man
i will be happy with result so lets hope it doesn't rain.. at the moment England looks on top.. i much rather have england win it than geting it draw whether by rain or bating..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i will be happy with result so lets hope it doesn't rain.. at the moment England looks on top.. i much rather have england win it than geting it draw whether by rain or bating..
DWTA. Violently.

Rained out draw >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> England win.

Batted out draw >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> England win.

WI Win infinitely > England win.