• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea, if England pick two spinners I don't see how they can accommodate Panesar unless they only have 4 bowlers - which I can't see England doing. So that would basically mean Rashid would have to play and Panesar had gone from 1st choice to not being picked in a 2 spinner attack without actually having done anything.
I thought Rashid was a non-playing member of the squad... that he was just taken for the experience of touring.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, that was India. In West Indies, he's actually been picked as a genuine squad member.

Let's hope and pray he doesn't play at Kensington BTW.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Flintoff doesn't play at Kensington, BTW, I'd hope that the bottom six would be:
Bell
Prior
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson \ Harmison

But I'm not thinking it's likely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Ian Botham mixing-up ARG WI v Aus 2003 with ARG WI v Aus 1999, saying Shane Warne was dropped for the 2003 game.

The 2003 Test Warne missed was due to his suspension, it was 1999 that he was dropped.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Ian Botham mixing-up ARG WI v Aus 2003 with ARG WI v Aus 1999, saying Shane Warne was dropped for the 2003 game.

The 2003 Test Warne missed was due to his suspension, it was 1999 that he was dropped.
And they've now corrected themselves after avalanches of em@ils.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No, that was India. In West Indies, he's actually been picked as a genuine squad member.

Let's hope and pray he doesn't play at Kensington BTW.
With Broad suddenly coming good with the ball in Tests, I don't know what to expect anymore, maybe he'll do well?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

Ah, confusing 1999 ARG with 2003 ARG, truly schoolboy stuff from the knight.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If Flintoff were to miss the next Test, I'd not be too unhappy for Rashid to play. He's not the finished article as a spinner but I'd be happy to regard him as a batting all-rounder, with him batting at 7, Prior at 6. And he might just possibly get some wickets against an unpredictable WI batting line-up. On the other hand, too good a game might mean that his place is inked into the team too early. Ho hum.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha, Darren Lehmann on Fox Sports just now.

"Graeme Swann: can't bowl. I'm happy to say that on air. Nice bloke, but he can't bowl. Doesn't do anything for me at all."

Harsh TSTL.
Quite.

Rare for any pundit to be so forthright tho, so that's admirable in its own way.

If Flintoff were to miss the next Test, I'd not be too unhappy for Rashid to play. He's not the finished article as a spinner but I'd be happy to regard him as a batting all-rounder, with him batting at 7, Prior at 6. And he might just possibly get some wickets against an unpredictable WI batting line-up. On the other hand, too good a game might mean that his place is inked into the team too early. Ho hum.
Imagine it'll be a crowd pleasing return to the colours for Bell if Fred does miss out, myself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That last is my major worry.

Would be only too happy to see Bell return, as I mentioned earlier, and hope that maybe him replacing Flintoff produces results similar to those it produced last time he did such a thing.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine it'll be a crowd pleasing return to the colours for Bell if Fred does miss out, myself.
I think it's the likeliest outcome, especially with Prior unavailable for the following test.
Our attack will look horribly thin, but they'll probbaly feel safer with 6 batsmen even if in reality they aren't.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's the likeliest outcome, especially with Prior unavailable for the following test.
Is Prior definitely missing a Test? Seems crazy. I know his wife is with child etc (you can almost hear the Texan twang in its accent as it cries in its crib) but to break from the current process of cementing his place in the team seems reckless to me.