• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You'd expect a bowler to take that 7 times out of 10 I'd say, so will be very disappointed indeed.
Yeah, c&bs which aren't rank loopers are never out-and-out easy but as c&bs of that nature go, that wasn't terribly hard.

shivfan

Banned
Thankfully, Nash and Sarwan made it to tea without further loss....

How long are we going to give HInds and Smith to finally get it good?
:@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Smith can count himself very fortunate to be still getting more chances but Hinds has had no decent chance yet in 7 years.

ozone

First Class Debutant
How long are we going to give Hinds and Smith to finally get it good?
:@
I'm fairly sure that about an hour ago, everyone was saying how good Hinds was compared to all the other options :unsure:. Honestly can't comment on how good he is because I don't know anything about him, but would have though he deserves a stretch in the side.

Woodster

International Captain
Two big wickets in the final hour of the session, and could have been three, had Broad taken the return catch offered by Sarwan. Looks very hard work out there, Harmison visibly struggling with the heat, or a delicate stomach. Flintoff just holding back a touch with his hip problem, so all things considered, England must be pleased to have them 5 down and still 345 behind.

Swann will be required to get through quite a few more overs in this final session, and hopefully if he continues to offer a bit of flight, and gets the odd one to really bite, then he can have a big say in where we find ourselves at the close.

England have done quite well, it must be very mentally as well as physically sapping, from a quicks perspective, to see an effort ball scuttle through along the ground to Prior.

Sarwan's batted well and will now be hoping for some worthy support from Nash and Ramdin.

shivfan

Banned
The problem I have with players like Smith and Hinds is that they both look good for the first 30-odd runs, and then they lose concentration and get out....

Smith has played 26 Tests, hit only one century, and averages under 24.

Ryan Hinds has played 11 Tests, had 18 innings, and has only managed two half-centuries for an average of just over 24.

Hinds should've been out twice before he was eventually out. We can give him a run, like one we gave to Darren Ganga, but I'm yet to be convinced he will have a better Test average.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Hinds should've been out twice before he was eventually out. We can give him a run, like one we gave to Darren Ganga, but I'm yet to be convinced he will have a better Test average.
Unless there's someone who particularly jumps out as deserving to be picked, I think giving Hinds a run will probably be the best option.

Why on earth is Collingwood bowling? :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The problem I have with players like Smith and Hinds is that they both look good for the first 30-odd runs, and then they lose concentration and get out....

Smith has played 26 Tests, hit only one century, and averages under 24.

Ryan Hinds has played 11 Tests, had 18 innings, and has only managed two half-centuries for an average of just over 24.

He may not, but he sure as hell is more likely to than Runako Morton or Xavier Marshall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why on earth is Collingwood bowling? :huh:
Even allowing for the fact that Flintoff and Harmison can't bowl, starting the session with Collingwood is dead-set bizarre. Not the first time Strauss has made a strange bowling choice this game either.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Even allowing for the fact that Flintoff and Harmison can't bowl, starting the session with Collingwood is dead-set bizarre. Not the first time Strauss has made a strange bowling choice this game either.
The only explanation for it would be that Flintoff and Harmison can't bowl at all in this seesion, and as the new-ball is ten overs away, he's saving the two quicks for then. And I bet that both Flintoff and Harmison will have a few overs between now and the end of the day making this theory redundant.

BTW, even if this is true, Pietersen should be bowling ahead of Collingwood TBH.

shivfan

Banned
That's the problem - we seem to be stuck with mediocre players like Smith and Hinds....
:wacko:
And yes, Hinds must be better than Morton and Marshall, though his Test batting average seems to be on par with them right now!
:laugh:
Personally, I think we have seen enough of Hinds at this level to know he's not going to do much at this level. I think Lendl Simmons should be given a run, so at least we can see what he has to offer in Tests....

Sure, give Ryan HInds until the end of this Test series, and let him play in Barbados and trinidad. But will he produce runs with the bat? I doubt it....

IMHO, I don't think both Smith and Hinds should be playing, while Simmons is playing the Owais Shah role with the drinks....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was anyone seriously discussing Lendl as a Test prospect until that tour-game at the start of this tour? I don't recall them doing so.

And back at The ARG, Sarwan continues to lay into Collingwood.