• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I suppose it's some version of not fixing what isn't broken or superstition or both. That being said, not the least surprising aspect of Chanderpaul's average over the last two years is that the WI lower order has stuck around long enough for him to achieve what he has done. They certainly weren't doing that when we played them 5 years ago.
TBF, nor was Chanderpaul. Seems utterly incredible, but Chanderpaul missed the corresponding match at this ground in 2004, and not because he asked to miss it, but because he was dropped.

A strange decision given he'd essentially had no more than 4 or 5 bad games or so, but a decision that didn't get that much questioning at the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, he's taken 173 wickets in 97 first-class matches, bowling an average of 18 overs a game. He's even bowled an average of 16 overs per test, not including this match currently taking place. I think that classes him as an all-rounder to be honest, regardless of which discipline is superior.
Nah. He's a batsman, who can also bowl. His batting is clearly superior to his bowling, really. It's not how much you bowl but how effective your bowling is that counts, and Hinds is clearly not much of a bowler. However, his batting is clearly good enough to gain Test chances in itself.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Is anyone else becoming slightly irritated with the Sky commentators constantly referring to Viv Richards as 'possibly the best batsman of all time'? I think everyone with an ounce of cricketing knowledge knows that, good as he was, he doesn't even remotely deserve that title.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is anyone else becoming slightly irritated with the Sky commentators constantly referring to Viv Richards as 'possibly the best batsman of all time'? I think everyone with an ounce of cricketing knowledge knows that, good as he was, he doesn't even remotely deserve that title.
Nah, I'm more than used to people - plain wrong-headedly IMO - calling him the second-best there's ever been.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hinds is looking almost painful tbh. Sarwan's good form is distracting from how uncomfortable he's looked in this innings of 17 off 62 balls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's actually looked OK IMO since those two let-offs in an over. He's not scoring but nor is he constantly edging straight balls that do nothing or anything.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's actually looked OK IMO since those two let-offs in an over. He's not scoring but nor is he constantly edging straight balls that do nothing or anything.
He's looked very solid in defence since he got off the mark but his timing has been awful. He definitely looks a much more defensively sound batsman than he did when he scored that 80 odd against England a few years back but he's understandably pretty nervous out there ATM.

Uppercut

He's looking like he could get out, but not scoring runs. Playing and missing, edging short balls a mile into the air, defending with hard hands. Maybe he's just that type of player though. The West Indian Colly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: Always funny when that sort of thing happens immediately after people have commented on how iffy he's looking. Two crunching blows.

And did he really edge short balls miles in the air? I thought he just spliced one that got big on him and actually did pretty well to keep it down.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Were Broad's six over for five runs before lunch really so unthreatening that he hasn't merited a bowl since the break?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exceptionally bizzare that he's gone to Pietersen and a patently unwell Harmison before him. Very strange indeed.

Half-century for Sarwan - different player from that First Test a few weeks ago. And 200 up next ball as well.

Uppercut

:laugh: Always funny when that sort of thing happens immediately after people have commented on how iffy he's looking. Two crunching blows.

And did he really edge short balls miles in the air? I thought he just spliced one that got big on him and actually did pretty well to keep it down.
It was only one ball, yeah. But there's no way he "did pretty well to keep it down", considering it looped waaay up into the air and landed half an inch short of KP at gully.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Generally those loop straight to gully as absolute lollipop catches. Especially from Flintoff.

Anyway, Broad finally on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm. Well I don't recall it in graphic detail so I'd have to see it again to say fo' sho'. From what I do remember about it though, I thought he played it relatively softly and did his best to get out of the way.

pskov

International 12th Man
Hmm. Well I don't recall it in graphic detail so I'd have to see it again to say fo' sho'. From what I do remember about it though, I thought he played it relatively softly and did his best to get out of the way.
Nah, he was a luck boy on that one. Gone now anyway....