• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

pup11

International Coach
It's more the curse of Luke Wright, picking Henriques in this situation.
Henriques unlike Wright has got some potential, and is a bloke that has the pedigree to be a genuine all-rounder if he can overcome his injury problems, but he clearly doesn't have the domestic stats to back his selection in any form of international cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ah Henriques. What a dire choice, thought he was the worst player in the Twenty20 Final.

George Bailey unlucky since Henriques was commended for his performance in the 20/20 where he took something like 1/70 off 10 and scored 19 or so.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
This is going to draw some heavy fire, but I'd like to give my 2 cents worth on the Cumming or Patel selection issue for Friday ..... my choice would be neither:

Patel will offer little in Brisbane
Cumming is below par.

So my choice would be...... Brendan Diremanti. I in no way rate him, infact I'm loathed to mention his name. But, he cant score less than Cummings duck and on a wet surface we might be able to get a few cheap overs out of him. So I'd go with:
Guptil
McCullum
Fulton
Taylor
Elliot*
Broom
Mills*
Diremanti*
Vetorri*
Southee*
O'Brilliant*

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This is going to draw some heavy fire, but I'd like to give my 2 cents worth on the Cumming or Patel selection issue for Friday ..... my choice would be neither:

Cumming is below par.

So my choice would be...... Brendan Diremanti. I in no way rate him, infact I'm loathed to mention his name. But, he cant score less than Cummings duck and on a wet surface we might be able to get a few cheap overs out of him. So I'd go with:
Guptil
McCullum
Fulton
Taylor
Elliot*
Broom
Mills*
Diremanti*
Vetorri*
Southee*
O'Brilliant*
Actually am inclined to agree with you. From our reserves I see Boult and Cumming as basically un-selectable. The pitch should determine who plays out of Patel and Diamanti. Obviously neither are great options, but if Diamanti can deliver something thoroughly average like 14 from 17 balls with the bat and 5 overs 0/23 with the ball, that would be a significantly better contribution than either Patel or Cumming made on the flat pitches in the last two matches.

If the pitch is more like the first two matches (and I'm not sure what to expect from the Gabba), then Patel will play.

Polo23

International Debutant
Reckon everyone is being pretty harsh on Cumming. He sits out 3 games and in the 1 game he does play he gets a duck. So what? Aren't batsmen allowed failures every now and then? Hell, even Bradman made 7 ducks in his career.

Now, i'm not saying Cumming is a world beater and should be in the team, but his domestic form has earned him the callup to replace Ryder and I don't think one poor score should have him critisised so heavily.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Reckon everyone is being pretty harsh on Cumming. He sits out 3 games and in the 1 game he does play he gets a duck. So what? Aren't batsmen allowed failures every now and then? Hell, even Bradman made 7 ducks in his career.

Now, i'm not saying Cumming is a world beater and should be in the team, but his domestic form has earned him the callup to replace Ryder and I don't think one poor score should have him critisised so heavily.
Some players you can forgive for having a low domestic average, you pick them because they have potential, case in point Flynn. Cumming is past that 'potential' stage and is rocking towards his 34th birthday with a domestic List A average of 25 and an ODI average of 13.

Cumming was never the right man for the job here, he doesnt posses the striking capability for #6, and would struggle against the new ball in Aus. It wasnt his fault that he was selected, but it's time that the selectors start realising that no matter how good somebodys domestic average/form is, they will never posses the 'right stuff' to be a success on the international stage.

Cumming will join the ranks of Matthew Sinclair, Michael Papps, Richard Jones, Michael Mason etc.

Flem274*

123/5
Harsh on Mason tbh, he's better than the rest of that lot and never had much of a chance in tests, which he's more suited to.

Jones barely played as well.

GGG

State Captain

Cumming is below par.

Guptil
McCullum
Fulton
Taylor
Elliot*
Broom
Mills*
Diremanti*
Vetorri*
Southee*
O'Brilliant*

I agree, although I still can't get over how they picked Diamanti over Thompson though.

Last edited: