• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Road to the 2009 Ashes

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought Swann was very unlucky not play in the 1st test tbh, thought he bowled really rather well in India and it was obvious Sidebottom is lacking in match practise.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Thought Swann was very unlucky not play in the 1st test tbh, thought he bowled really rather well in India and it was obvious Sidebottom is lacking in match practise.
Yeah - he may well have played if KP had still been captain, judging by the number of overs he bowled in India, compared to Panesar. Having an offie spinning it away from WI's phalanx of lefthanders wouldn't be the worst thing I could think of, and I hope he plays in the next game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just sitting here contemplating KP's publicly saying he was "smirking" when SA beat us last month. He can probably rest assured a few of our blokes had a little smile yesterday, too.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loved the huuuuuuuuged grin on the presenter of FoxSports when he read out the England/WI report yesterday.

K O'Keefe had a good laugh about it all. "You should never mock a good half century y'know"

James

Cricket Web Owner
Seriously, why not just use Vaughan as your spinner and play four/five seamers? Anderson, Sidebottom, Flintoff, Broad, Harmison for me.

Top_Cat

I'm just sitting here contemplating KP's publicly saying he was "smirking" when SA beat us last month. He can probably rest assured a few of our blokes had a little smile yesterday, too.
Sort of puts paid to the assertion that the WI are total easy beats over there now too. I mean, people gave the Aussies so much crap for even letting the WI bowling be competitive against them. Well, England just got reamed by pretty much the same attack led by the same bowler. I think it's safe to say, although far from being consistent, the WI are starting to throw some big punches these days.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Yes indeed...at least we were competitive. :sleep:

Evermind

International Debutant
At this rate, the Ashes will be a big fat choke fest.
Yes, but will Australia out-choke England? That is the element of excitement this time round, IMO.

And we all know, looking at the recent selections from both sides, that that the Road to the 2009 Ashes is paved with confused intentions.

pup11

International Coach
Yes, but will Australia out-choke England? That is the element of excitement this time round, IMO.

And we all know, looking at the recent selections from both sides, that that the Road to the 2009 Ashes is paved with confused intentions.
Well judging by the Aussie team selected for the SA tour, the Aussie selectors seem to be on the road to recovery.

Uppercut

I am afraid that's the only chance he might get for now, Monty' biggest strength was that he was able to make the ball spin and spin big, without giving the ball much air, now that's a pretty handy talent to have.

Though once the batsmen realised that this bloke doesn't do anything else than spinning the ball in one direction and that too at the same pace, he was pretty much found out, now i don't know what Monty was doing all this time, but i think since making his test debut he should have atleast added a few variations to his bowling.

Whether thoses variation were in form of an armball, doosra, changes in pace, the thing is he should have improved his bowling slightly by now, but as a bowler i don't see any growth in him, tbh he is doing all the same things he did when he doing well, but the batsmen just play him better now, and that's what his problem is all about.
Contrary to popular belief, Panesar does indeed have an arm-ball. He just has so little control of length at the moment that he can't tie someone down for long enough to put it to any use.

An in-form Monty is definitely still a threat on the right pitch (Sabina Park should have been perfect for him, in fact). But currently he's lost his natural pace in experimentation and doesn't seem to give the ball quite the tweak that he used to. I think it's time for him to have a spell out of the side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Good time to dig this again....

Well its clear to all on CW, whats poppin with England & Australia going into the Ashes.

But what i've been wondering over the past few days is given how Australia have gotten their mojo back (although i'd say if the selectors choices in the make up of Australia's bowling attack since the India tour had been more sensible, things would have been buisness as usual).

Does anyone reckon England, can find a similar spark going into/during the Ashes. Or as i presume of us predict ATM, given the fragilties in both the batting & bowling. England will continue to struggle unfortunately.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
the selectors cop a lot of flak more often than not, but they weren't really given credit for siddle, a lot of us raised some eyebrows when he was chosen in india ahead of bollinger but look at the results. the reason they've won this series, inspired bowling, and of course 2 fresh faces in the top 6. i guess getting that good start at the top has been underestimated post langer.

not sure about england, i really hope they don't just fold. i just want one thing to happen, which it probably won't, a fit simon jones

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
the selectors cop a lot of flak more often than not, but they weren't really given credit for siddle, a lot of us raised some eyebrows when he was chosen in india ahead of bollinger but look at the results. the reason they've won this series, inspired bowling, and of course 2 fresh faces in the top 6. i guess getting that good start at the top has been underestimated post langer.

not sure about england, i really hope they don't just fold. i just want one thing to happen, which it probably won't, a fit simon jones
Its been nearly four years and you are still mentioning this blokes name? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but please. The bloke hasn't played for England in any form of cricket for nearly four years. He hasn't been selected for a Lions tour in that period. He hasn't been rarely fit for county cricket in that period of time.

So once the Ashes comes around, England are going to pick a bowler mainly on the belief that he will bowl how he did four years ago with barely no bowling in between?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
icc test rankings

1st australia rating 126
6th england rating 98

when does it become apparent that a team is too far behind a another that a 5 test match series is undeserved.

Uppercut

Its been nearly four years and you are still mentioning this blokes name? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but please. The bloke hasn't played for England in any form of cricket for nearly four years. He hasn't been selected for a Lions tour in that period. He hasn't been rarely fit for county cricket in that period of time.

So once the Ashes comes around, England are going to pick a bowler mainly on the belief that he will bowl how he did four years ago with barely no bowling in between?
We know fine right we're dreaming, so let us dream.

Redbacks

International Captain

He's been kept on ice like Johnny Wilkinson, set to deliver once the big time returns :laugh:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
We know fine right we're dreaming, so let us dream.
He's been kept on ice like Johnny Wilkinson, set to deliver once the big time returns :laugh:
I know, but it has become so, so, so pointless and illogical.

Firstly, the guy is so fragile. His career has been plagued by injuries to different parts of his body - its a bit of a catch-22, but I think multiple injuries to a sole part of the body is better than a dispersion of injuries.

Secondly, the bloke hasn't played an international game since the 28th of August. Its close to four years now fellas - how many players have made a comeback after such a period of time? How many players have made a successful comeback after such a period of time?

Thirdly, he only played 9 FC games last season (out of 16 I believe). I can't find any stats on previous years, but I highly doubt he has played a full season (possibly ever).

Fourthly, in the three and a half years since he last played, I think, that a few players have surpassed him in regards to selection. Make whatever arguement you want about Broad, Harmison, Anderson, Khan, Sidebottom, Tremlett, Plunkett et al, but you can't keep relying on past performances for the inclusion of Jones. Who knows who else may be ahead of Jones - Mahmood, Bresnan, Napier, Joseph, Ali etc etc. Whether or not you want to hear the above names associated with the England national team or the Ashes is irrelevant, fact of the matter is that they all have a better claim for a spot than Jones at the moment.

After all that, and I have said this numerous times on here. Its time for England fans to let go of what happened in 2005. The team currently is unsettled and a lot has changed since 2005 - as it does with all teams irrespective of winning or losing. Australia isn't going to England with the same team that won 5-0. Things change, live with it.