• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that you only consider a bowler to be successful if they average under 25 is laughable to say the least. Johnson will be and already is a fine bowler for a Australia.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Ferguson is wasted at 7. Needs to be 4 or 5 at the expense of D.Huss. Play an extra bowler and move Hopes to 7.

Hoggy31

International Captain
****, gun knock from Elliot, was in complete control, should make a few more tons before his time is up. Aussie need to be playing a proper 5th bowler imo, hurting too much there atm.

inbox24

International Debutant
Ok when talking about that 25 I was referring to great fast bowlers in the modern era. Johnson will never be a great bowler. At the moment stats suggest he might be a 'fine' bowler, but we don't judge players purely by stats.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Johnson IMO won't have a successful international career (bowling average under 25) his will deffo be over 30 hopefully in all forms.

Save this post plz.
Dont know if thats right , but the commentators were saying how it can be difficult playing Johnson as he is all over the place. I think a really good batting lineup like South Africa's showed that up. He bowled all over the place and got hammered. He can get away with waywardness against a rough batting order like NZ's, but any decent batting lineup should have smashed him tonight.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson IMO won't have a successful international career (bowling average under 25) his will deffo be over 30 hopefully in all forms.

Save this post plz.
Already has had a successful international career, and only looks to be improving.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok when talking about that 25 I was referring to great fast bowlers in the modern era. Johnson will never be a great bowler. At the moment stats suggest he might be a 'fine' bowler, but we don't judge players purely by stats.
No, you said he wouldn't be successful. There's a huge difference between saying someone won't be a great, and saying someone won't be successful. That's no 'slip of the keyboard', so to speak.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke getting MotM the other night was very strange.

Haddin getting it tonight is fine.

The only time I've ever really disagreed with the winning side getting the MotM was actually in the 2005 Ashes series where I thought that Warne deserved man of the series over Flintoff.

pup11

International Coach
Seriously has Mitchell Johnson broken into the houses of all these people and robbed them or something, because this anti-Johnson argument really has no other sane reasoning to it.

Johnson is not your usual run of the mill left arm quick, he is different but at the same time effective, and it about time people stop criticising him needlessly.

Precambrian

Banned
Clarke getting MotM the other night was very strange.

Haddin getting it tonight is fine.

The only time I've ever really disagreed with the winning side getting the MotM was actually in the 2005 Ashes series where I thought that Warne deserved man of the series over Flintoff.
Very much debatable. An argument countering that would be the other Aussie bowlers were so **** and Warne had to take a truckload of wickets.

howardj

International Coach
Im anxiously awaiting apologies from various members for the harsh harsh words directed at me when I suggested some time ago that Haddin open the batting. And also for suggested Pup open up as well. You know who you are. Thank you. lol

Precambrian

Banned
Seriously has Mitchell Johnson broken into the houses of all these people and robbed them or something, because this anti-Johnson argument really has no other sane reasoning to it.

Johnson is not your usual run of the mill left arm quick, he is different but at the same time effective, and it about time people stop criticising him needlessly.
In ODIs perhaps a bit over-criticized.

But in tests, heck no, Give me O Brien over Johnson anyday.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very much debatable. An argument countering that would be the other Aussie bowlers were so **** and Warne had to take a truckload of wickets.
Warne took 40 wickets and scored over 250 runs in that series. Not often that a single bowler takes a full 40% of the available wickets in a series. By contrast, Flintoff in the same series took 26 wickets and made around 400 runs. Certainly a herculian effort but IMO 14 wickets is far more valuable than 150 runs.

Warne was the only thing that stood between a 2-1 scoreline and a 4-1 scoreline (we'd have won Lords, we always win Lords).

pup11

International Coach
Im anxiously awaiting apologies from various members for the harsh harsh words directed at me when I suggested some time ago that Haddin open the batting. And also for suggested Pup open up as well. You know who you are. Thank you. lol
One swallow hardly makes a summer, both Clarke and Haddin (in particular) have poor techniques against the moving ball, hence no way they should be considered as long term opening options, though won't disagree that they are the best available combo as the makeshift opening pair atm.