• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

inbox24

International Debutant
"We must pick the best batsmen available" yet you had Warner ahead of White/Ferguson. No matter what potential Warner has, there's not way he is currently a better batsmen than either of White/Ferguson.
Ferguson has no future in the Australian colours. The only reason he's playing is that the selectors think "no one is available", yet even now (in this player 'crisis'), if we do pick the right team combo 7 bats and 4 bowlers, there's no way we can fit him in.

Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Haddin
Hopes
Warner

That's 7 of our best at the moment (not in batting order).

If Ferguson plays now and has a few good innings so what? When the good players come back he'll be straight out again. If Warner could have had some more opportunities in these last matches then we have a decent opening combination. There's a big difference.

Edit: In terms of Cam White

1. He can't bowl
2. He does better up the order
3. There's no room for him up the order

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I disagree strongly. Ferguson has had a future in Australian colours since he was 15, especially in one day cricket. He's one of the classiest batsmen going around, reminds me of Mark Waugh but hits the ball harder.

I don't think he should be playing yet though, if he's still in good form next season he should be in and batting 4 or 5 for the OD side.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a poor start for us. The noose has slipped a little and we are leaking some runs.
That said, this looks like a peach of a pitch, they're just able to hit anything on the up, the slower ball will be key today

inbox24

International Debutant
Definitely a 300+ pitch, Sydney almost always is.

Hopefully David Hussey can get a biggie and try to cement himself.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is it just me, or is the phrase "handy one day cricketer" just a tad patronising when describing Kyle Mills while he's bowling? The commentators seem to say it three or four times a game about him. It's the kind of thing I'd call James Hopes or Graeme Swann; Kyle Mills is one of the best one day bowlers in the world.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ferguson has no future in the Australian colours. The only reason he's playing is that the selectors think "no one is available", yet even now (in this player 'crisis'), if we do pick the right team combo 7 bats and 4 bowlers, there's no way we can fit him in.

Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Haddin
Hopes
Warner

That's 7 of our best at the moment (not in batting order).

If Ferguson plays now and has a few good innings so what? When the good players come back he'll be straight out again. If Warner could have had some more opportunities in these last matches then we have a decent opening combination. There's a big difference.
Nah, Ferguson does have a future in Australian colours, has been that way for quite a while, the blokes got class. Hussey/Ponting/Symonds aren't going to be around forever, and I'd expect to see Ferguson getting more opportunities in the short-mid term future because of this. Warner has had plenty of opportunities, and he's failed miserably in the majority of them because at this stage he's quite simply nothing but a slogger. Hoiks across the line that regularly result in scores of 10 > is not what Australia need now when they're in a must win game, nor in the future. He needs to go back to domestic level and find a way to bat when the conditions aren't right for having a swing. The idea that he's one of our best 7 options when taking team balance into perspective is laughable, even though I detest the idea of Haddin/Clarke opening.

Flem274*

123/5
Is it just me, or is the phrase "handy one day cricketer" just a tad patronising when describing Kyle Mills while he's bowling? The commentators seem to say it three or four times a game about him. It's the kind of thing I'd call James Hopes or Graeme Swann; Kyle Mills is one of the best one day bowlers in the world.
No NZ medium fast bowler can be anymore than a hard working handy cricketer.

JBH001

International Regular
That said, this looks like a peach of a pitch, they're just able to hit anything on the up, the slower ball will be key today

Ah, ta for that. Am following on cricinfo at uni so I cant really tell.

Off to the domain now for some pick up cricket, hope the Aussies havent scored too big by the time I get home.