• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But he could have said "No, lemme play this tournament and get Australia to win with dead rubbers, in which case I can rest" ...
He pretty much did though, from what I've heard. He disagreed with the decision and let the selectors know that but was stood down anyway.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBF Ricky was rested. But he could have said "No, lemme play this tournament and get Australia to win with dead rubbers, in which case I can rest" ... as Aussies are really struggling at the moment...
I think you are being very harsh on the man who has had a lot on his plate these past few months. Doesn't deserve to be ridiculed.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he knows perfectly well that Ponting publicly stated his disappointment at being made to rest, but is clearly trying to bait everyone, as per usual.

Precambrian

Banned
This troll accusation is getting ridiculous. Anything remotely I post seemingly Anti-Aussie is immediately cried upon as baiting/trolling. Seriously dire stuff.

If Ponting didn't have a choice, cannot blame him much. But I find nothing heroic or out of ordinary in him coming back at this point. Good for Australia though. He is far better captain than Clarke, and eons better an ODI batsman than Dussey, who in all probability will be dropped.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This troll accusation is getting ridiculous. Anything remotely I post seemingly Anti-Aussie is immediately cried upon as baiting/trolling. Seriously dire stuff.

If Ponting didn't have a choice, cannot blame him much. But I find nothing heroic or out of ordinary in him coming back at this point. Good for Australia though. He is far better captain than Clarke, and eons better an ODI batsman than Dussey, who in all probability will be dropped.
Drop Ferguson, Dussey is a gun.

pup11

International Coach
Unlucky more like it, Patel got him in a bit of luck and then he was run out.
Agree with this, was unlucky in both games so far, his only criticism can be he has failed to go on to make his 20's 30's into big scores against South Africa, but he is a very good batsman and deserves a longer run.

Could be this Australian sides best player of spin.
Don't agree with that though, Mussey, Clarke and even Haddin are much better players of spin imo, though Dussey is not bad against spin or anything, but just isn't that good against spin as those guys, but he and Ponting are probably two of the most aggressive batsman in Aussie ranks atm, and they would have to step-up for the tomorrow' game.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agree with this, was unlucky in both games so far, his only criticism can be he has failed to go on to make his 20's 30's into big scores against South Africa, but he is a very good batsman and deserves a longer run.

Don't agree with though, Mussey, Clarke and even Haddin are much better players of spin imo, though Dussey is not bad against spin or anything, but just isn't that good against spin as those guys, but he and Ponting are probably two of the most aggressive batsman in Aussie ranks atm, and they would have to step-up for the tomorrow' game.
Would say Mussey and Clarke are better players of spin but not 100% on Haddin yet.

pup11

International Coach
Head will explode if Warner, Hilfenhaus and Harris all play in the same match.
I think the same team from the last game would play, the only change being Ponting coming in for either White or Ferguson, this probably would be Warner's last gig, and i am afraid he might just score a few runs too tomorrow, giving the selectors further excuse of having him in the side.

pup11

International Coach
Would say Mussey and Clarke are better players of spin but not 100% on Haddin yet.
Haddin can play spin alright, its his concentration and wafts outside off-stump that really are a problem.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haddin's a really good play of poor to average spin bowling; he can murder it. He hasn't quite had the same success against proper spinners yet though and I doubt he will with his current technique. You could say the same about Dussey but I think he has a better technique overall to handle it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haddin can spin alright, its his concentration and wafts outside off-stump that really are a problem.
His strokes off-stump are particularly a worry considering how he likes to set up his innings while never really enforcing his strokes on the opposition. He hits boundaries when they are there well enough but is dreadful at forcing runs.

pup11

International Coach
Haddin's a really good play of poor to average spin bowling; he can murder it. He hasn't quite had the same success against proper spinners yet though and I doubt he will with his current technique. You could say the same about Dussey but I think he has a better technique overall to handle it.
Well his tour of India might back your claim, but again from what i saw he plays spin with soft hands, and uses his feet well to spin bowling, the problem though has more to do with his temperament or concentration than his technique.

In the test series against India in India, he looked solid against the spinners, but out of nowhere he used to come up with these poor shots to get himself out.

His technique against fast-bowlers is what really makes me cringe at times, he can play some lovely drives through the off-side, but don't know why he keeps wafting at balls that either he should leave or play with a straight bat.

Who knows? It's so random with these selectors.
Interestingly cricinfo' probable Aussie team for tomorrow has one change, Ponting coming in for Warner, and Haddin opening the batting instead of Warner.

Last edited: