• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess averaging 35 in ODIs is classified as being poor. Would be the perfect straight replacement for Marsh, who plays the same role. He got a 2nd gear just watch him play Twenty20.
35 is a poor ODI average if your strike rate is 69. I can still never forgive him for keeping Jaques and Hayden out of the ODI side in the summer of 05/06 where Jaques made four or five centuries and broke a record in the ODD comp at a 96 strike rate.

If any opener deserves a go in the ODI side it's Jaques. It's a travesty that he hasn't had a real opportunity in that format.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
35 is a poor ODI average if your strike rate is 69. I can still never forgive him for keeping Jaques and Hayden out of the ODI side in the summer of 05/06 where Jaques made four or five centuries and broke a record in the ODD comp at a 96 strike rate.

If any opener deserves a go in the ODI side it's Jaques. It's a travesty that he hasn't had a real opportunity in that format.
Jaques does deserve a chance, but last time I checked he re-injuried himself.

Anyway an average of 35 will always be better then someone that averages 20, i.e Hopes.

stephen

Jaques does deserve a chance, but last time I checked he re-injuried himself.

Anyway an average of 35 will always be better then someone that averages 20, i.e Hopes.
Jaques isn't injured AFAIK, but he did only just get back from injury.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Unless that someone with an average of 20 also provides a solid 5th bowler for the team, meaning that White doesn't bowl again. Plus he'll probably perform better in his preferred position.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Unless that someone with an average of 20 also provides a solid 5th bowler for the team, meaning that White doesn't bowl again. Plus he'll probably perform better in his preferred position.
Honestly though you think there a reason why they try and play anyone but him as an opener. Even if it means playing batsmen out of position like Clarke and Hussey or playing an inexperienced opener like Warner. Or makeshift openers like Watson, regardless of how good his technique is. They have no faith in him as an opener and don't see him being very productive against a half decent new ball attack. Reckon they would try Fergurson as opener ahead of him itbt.

Having a 5th bowler would be great, but there batting line is struggling atm and doesn't need to be one short. Unless you play Noffke or MacDonald your asking for trouble.

Last edited:

stephen

What in the world is going on with Australia? No way they are this bad to lose five in a row at home.
Where do we start:

Injuries to Marsh, Lee and Clark.
Ponting out due to rotation policy.
Batting Hopes, Clarke, Hussey M, White and Haddin all out of position.
Jaques only just back from injury.
Symonds out due to stupidity.
Half a bowler short most games - could be corrected by picking Noffke and elevating Hopes to opener (see previous point).
Warner picked completely on potential and given a run despite not earning a place.

Terrible team management at the moment. Some unlucky injuries, but no longer excessive numbers. But primarily it is down to some really poor player management from the coach and selectors. Taking tonights team, Australia would have been improved if they had have batted in this order:

Warner
Hopes
Clarke
Haddin
Hussey D
Hussey M
Ferguson
Johnson
Bracken
Hilfenhaus

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Where do we start:

Injuries to Marsh, Lee and Clark.
Ponting out due to rotation policy.
Batting Hopes, Clarke, Hussey M, White and Haddin all out of position.
Jaques only just back from injury.
Symonds out due to stupidity.
Half a bowler short most games - could be corrected by picking Noffke and elevating Hopes to opener (see previous point).
Warner picked completely on potential and given a run despite not earning a place.

Terrible team management at the moment. Some unlucky injuries, but no longer excessive numbers. But primarily it is down to some really poor player management from the coach and selectors. Taking tonights team, Australia would have been improved if they had have batted in this order:

Warner
Hopes
Clarke
Haddin
Hussey D
Hussey M
Ferguson
Johnson
Bracken
Hilfenhaus
Way to write off South Africa and New Zealand.

stephen

Honestly though you think there a reason why they try and play anyone but him as an opener. Even if it means playing batsmen out of position like Clarke and Hussey or playing an inexperienced opener like Warner. Or makeshift openers like Watson, regardless of how good his technique is. They have no faith in him as an opener and don't see him being very productive against a half decent new ball attack. Reckon they would try Fergurson as opener ahead of him itbt.
I don't know why, it's pure madness.

Hopes opens for QLD in the ODD comp and is relatively successful. Even if he is a walking wicket it cannot be any worse than batting Warner there. Hopes' talent is wasted down the order.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Way to write off South Africa and New Zealand.
It funny how little credit goes to fact that they are playing two of top 4 sides in world in ODIs. Last time I checked both South Africa and New Zealand have major injuries as well. Even at full strength they will struggle to beat them.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
It funny how little credit goes to fact that they are playing two of top 4 sides in world in ODIs. Last time I checked both South Africa and New Zealand have major injuries as well. Even at full strength they will struggle to beat them.
Yeah, Australia has come back to the pack in the last view years, and the fact of the matter is that any match involving AUS/RSA/IND/NZL is going to be a tightly thought affair.