• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IIRC, I never brought in an argument similar to that. All I was saying is that Dhoni had a better argument to be rested for test series at that point of time than in an ODI series. Because Dhoni adds irreplaceable value in tests iff he is captain. He was already captaining the ODI side then and considering that the side was inexperienced as compared to tests, it needed all 3, Dhoni the captain, Dhoni the batsman and Dhoni the keeper.

Please see my reply immediately above to UC. Dhoni timed his decision well imho, as the Champions Trophy was coming up immediately after the SL series, so Dhoni, if he needed a break, was in the test matches where he will be least missed.
I would rather lose every ODI from now until the end of time than to see one player 'rested' for a Test match in favor of odi 'cricket'.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ditto, but given that at the time Dhoni wasn't the Test captain, if he was going to be rested, then it absolutely had to be during the Test series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Tests against New Zealand were always going to be the easiest games to win of the summer and we didn't rest him from those. Why? Because despite not being the biggest challenges, those two Tests were still far more important than both the ODI series.

Similarly, the live ODI against New Zealand which Ponting is resting from is of more importance than the dead ODI he played against South Africa last week (assuming you don't buy into the rankings argument).

And yet here we are.
He might not have needed the rest at the time of the test v NZ though. But yeah, if he was gonna mis an ODI, it should have been the dead rubber v SA you'd think.

Think the Johnson thing was probably based on his workload through the test series, and probably the results of his training. They monitor recoveries and training performances pretty closely, and probably were keen to rest him asap after the tests if his performances in areas like recovery were starting to slip. Also, they probably wanted him to have his rest, and then be well back in the swing of things by the time they leave for SA, so the start of the ODIs it was.
And he's the only member of the attack with double figure test experience who's left standing too.

If he had a wrist injury, by playing more matches, he was only aggravating it right? Much better value would have been him taking a break and get his stuff sorted and comeback raring to go.
It may be an injury which flares up whether he plays or not. Who knows?
Would be a different case if one ODI was in Kingston.
I couldn't give a Scotch Finger for these laboured word puns.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nothing...., he has had a wrist injury and he has played with pain through the summer and you are saying he has nothing, Australia want him fresh and ready for the return leg test series in South Africa, is that so hard to understand.
I think you'll find it's hard to understand because he's Australian :happy:

Son Of Coco

Yeah, this is a the point.

Take the Dhoni case for example. The Indian selectors left it up to Dhoni to manage his own workload, but instead of taking the Kitply Cup off, he ended up dropping a bombshell by breaking down and missing a Test series. Obviously letting players decide when they need rest and when they don't doesn't always work out.

Personally I don't see the logic in Ponting playing a dead rubber ODI and then resting from a live game a week or so later, but it makes a lot more sense than him suddenly discovering that he's burnt out come the second Test in South Africa.
Yeah I agree, it's strange timing given he could have had a break in the dead rubber. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't consider 1 match to be enough of a break and were hoping Australia would start well against NZ so the break wouldn't appear to come at such an important time. If they were looking to rest him for more than one match then starting with the dead rubber against SA would have lead into the beginning of the series vs NZ...not sure that's a strong argument though.

Son Of Coco

So is the backyard cricket I partake in against my cousin.

Without wanting to destroy trade relations, this ODI series isn't as important as the matches that follow over the next 8 months. That's due to the timing, and the fact that the Tests are already out of the way. If this were a five game series heading into a Test series, I'd imagine it would be viewed differently (psychological advantage, etc.)

Also, the fact that they get the chance to win it back next year means that, IMO, the trophy isn't as highly valued as what it could/should be.
:laugh:

Exactly, and hasn't it also been close due to us having a policy of resting players during it since its inception? NZ should be thanking us :sleep:

:ph34r:

Son Of Coco

If he had a wrist injury, by playing more matches, he was only aggravating it right? Much better value would have been him taking a break and get his stuff sorted and comeback raring to go.
I'd imagine the physios that travel with the team would have been in a good position to judge that.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What the hell is Ponting doing now? He's claiming Vettori sent Haddin an apology txt haha. He should p*ss off and stay in bed.

duffer

What the hell is Ponting doing now? He's claiming Vettori sent Haddin an apology txt haha. He should p*ss off and stay in bed.
Already been refuted I believe. Can't wait till tomorrow, should be some agro about the match.