• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not even comparable. What benefit is there in playing your best ODI player for one match and then resting more than resting him for the entire series?
You've answered it yourself. You've played your best ODI player for a match. It didn't work, he appeared very strained, so lets rest him now. You're seeing a lot of pissed off Kiwi posters now that Australia are resting a lot of players. Imagine the outcry if they had been rested for the entire series. Makes sense if you're willing to consider a course of action that is different to one you've already made your mind up on.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting in his time opted for rest in must win ODIs for Australia, and yet wants to play the full IPL.
Ponting hasn't opted for this break, he has been "told" by the selectors to rest ahead of the SA tour, btw its ridiculous to question Ponting's commitment for the Australian cricket team.

He has been playing on with a career threatening wrist problem throughout the summer, and i think he deserves this break.

Redbacks

International Captain
You've answered it yourself. You've played your best ODI player for a match. It didn't work, he appeared very strained, so lets rest him now. You're seeing a lot of pissed off Kiwi posters now that Australia are resting a lot of players. Imagine the outcry if they had been rested for the entire series. Makes sense if you're willing to consider a course of action that is different to one you've already made your mind up on.
not really from what I have seen. It's only one player and atleast he doesn't have to do any press conferences:) In reality CA could have released a statement that he has a sore ***** requiring an 'x days rest' and people would be none the wiser.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
not really from what I have seen. It's only one player and atleast he doesn't have to do any press conferences:) In reality CA could have released a statement that he has a sore ***** requiring an 'x days rest' and people would be none the wiser.
Probably would have worked a lot better if they faked an injury. Many teams in other sport report little "niggles" like that all the time when they need a spell.

Redbacks

International Captain
Probably would have worked a lot better if they faked an injury. Many teams in other sport report little "niggles" like that all the time when they need a spell.
Mostly English Premier League coaches before international friendlies:cool:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd have imagined it would have been quite a few actually. Theres been a few posts from NZers about the below par sides Australia plays against them. Couple that to the fact that Ponting missed the entire (?) CH series in 2007; the one which Hussey captained and saw those ridiculous chases. Ponting would have been labelled a Kiwi-avoider or something.

pup11

International Coach
Is that what has happened in Shaun Marsh' case?:unsure:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mostly English Premier League coaches before international friendlies:cool:
Haha yeah. Watch a lot of NBA and see it happen there all the time. One of the elite teams rested their 3 best players today against a really physical side as they wanted to protect them for the run in.

A tactic cricket teams could definitely use for their players(quickies especially)

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd have imagined it would have been quite a few actually. Theres been a few posts from NZers about the below par sides Australia plays against them. Couple that to the fact that Ponting missed the entire (?) CH series in 2007; the one which Hussey captained and saw those ridiculous chases. Ponting would have been labelled a Kiwi-avoider or something.
Ponting has played NZ 41 times in ODI's and in that time he has missed 12 matches.

Precambrian

Banned
Appeared strained?

What a message to send across the world! "Gee our captain is strained by the pressures of captaincy and losing over the past few months, so we are giving him a break. No, he will not lose his place in the team, because he is our captain. However, if you do not perform in one match, you will be out".

At times like these, it is the captain who should show up and take up the responsibility instead of hiding behind vague strain excuses and demoralising the team further.

Precambrian

Banned
Ponting hasn't opted for this break, he has been "told" by the selectors to rest ahead of the SA tour, btw its ridiculous to question Ponting's commitment for the Australian cricket team.

He has been playing on with a career threatening wrist problem throughout the summer, and i think he deserves this break.
As the captain, he should have communicated that "This is my team, no way they are going to play out of this mire without my leadership". I don;t think any sane selector would say no to that.

Precambrian

Banned
Even though that is not fair, I think it'd been probably wise, not because of forumsters like us, but because that will serve the team better purpose than demoralising "resting captain" incidents.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Appeared strained?

What a message to send across the world! "Gee our captain is strained by the pressures of captaincy and losing over the past few months, so we are giving him a break. No, he will not lose his place in the team, because he is our captain. However, if you do not perform in one match, you will be out".

At times like these, it is the captain who should show up and take up the responsibility instead of hiding behind vague strain excuses and demoralising the team further.
I repeat once again, the selectors rested him. You can write out all the fictional monologues you want, fact is humans need rest. Your last paragraph has no relevance since Ponting had no say in the matter. If Ponting did have enough clout among the selectors to sway tham, Symonds would have been on the plane to SA.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting has already done that mate, his doctors told him to take a few months off, but he has ignored that and kept on playing through the Indian series and then through the Australian summer.

Resting him is not something they are doing to mock the Black Caps or anything, Ponting has played in each and every game this season, and ideally if all would have gone right he would have taken rest somewhere down the line during the ODI series against the South Africans, but that didn't happen, so they had to rest him at some point.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Appeared strained?

I think you'll find India's current captain did precisely the same thing barely four months ago. Before starring in four straight series victories in both forms without losing a match.