• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Precambrian

Banned
Look in the trophy cabinet! 3 ODI WC's baby!

*sorry just needed to be said!
Irrelevant. More to do with individual performances, than any overall exceptional leadership by the administration per se.

or in other words,

Even England would have won 3 WCs if they had Warne (for 1 WC) and McGrath.

Precambrian

Banned
So your only beef with them is that they rested him for only part of the series instead of an entire series? :blink:

Wow, if that aggravates you enough to bring out the handbags and label them wankers, you really need to get some perspective and purge your mind of all that Aussie hate. That surpasses even this gem:
No, my problem lies with the entire resting business, and against the commitment of Ponting, if he wanted to be rested.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't doubt that. I do doubt that the percentage of cricket-watchers who don't take ODIs very seriously (and this is different to just "not as seriously as Tests") would be very high at all, though. I'd be surprised if it hit double figures, TBH.
Must be an English thing.

I love T20 and ODI games to watch at the ground. I can take my ten-year-old brother to a T20 international game at Stormont Cricket ground and he'll have a great time. At a test match he'll get bored. And i really do find them entertaining, it's just that the outcome doesn't seem relevant in comparison to a test match.

All this goes out the window when it's Ireland playing, needless to say.

pup11

International Coach
The difference was that there was genuine injury for Waugh, in Ponting;s case there is nothing (CA should get some coaching from us in that) .
Nothing...., he has had a wrist injury and he has played with pain through the summer and you are saying he has nothing, Australia want him fresh and ready for the return leg test series in South Africa, is that so hard to understand.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reading through the lines <note dangerous thing to do if you are Australian> But you are questioning how much fight/fire in the belly does he have right now. I can imagine it would take an army to stop Steve Waugh from leading the side in the current situation but then a lesson learnt is when he almost ruined his career by playing with a damaged calf in the Ashes and made a ton on one leg.
Had an abscessed tooth as well apparently.

Uppercut

No, my problem lies with the entire resting business, and against the commitment of Ponting, if he wanted to be rested.
What was your opinion of MS Dhoni taking a rest in Sri Lanka? Bearing in mind that since he's starred as captain in four straight victories to nil.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love T20 and ODI games to watch at the ground. I can take my ten-year-old brother to a T20 international game at Stormont Cricket ground and he'll have a great time. At a test match he'll get bored. And i really do find them entertaining, it's just that the outcome doesn't seem relevant in comparison to a test match.
Yeah, I'm with you. I watch ODI cricket and I enjoy analysing strategies, comparing players and doing pretty much everything I do as part of my Test cricket experience, but the result is often of very little consequence to me. The fact that it's a more random format that can produce less accurate representation of the overall qualities of teams at times (cue Ponting quote) means it's essentially just about the event and the one-off entertainment, while Tests have the added elements of proving superiority and quality over the opposition.

In reality, though, I don't think many supporters have as little apathy for the results of one day cricket games as a whole as we do. In fact, I think we'd be in a pretty small minority.

Precambrian

Banned
Nothing...., he has had a wrist injury and he has played with pain through the summer and you are saying he has nothing, Australia want him fresh and ready for the return leg test series in South Africa, is that so hard to understand.
Then he should not have been playing altogether than playing at 60% efficiency right?

pup11

International Coach
Irrelevant. More to do with individual performances, than any overall exceptional leadership by the administration per se.

or in other words,

Even England would have won 3 WCs if they had Warne (for 1 WC) and McGrath.
If great players alone could have won their team' world cups all on their own, then greats from many other teams would have done that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have one slight problem with this.

Why play him in a dead rubber ODI against South Africa then rest him from a live ODI against New Zealand if the injuy has been ongoing?

Precambrian

Banned
What was your opinion of MS Dhoni taking a rest in Sri Lanka? Bearing in mind that since he's starred as captain in four straight victories to nil.
Him resting in Test matches was surprising from Dhoni. However

1. He was not captain then.

2. As a wicketkeeper batsman in test matches, he was not irreplaceable at that point in time.

I will blast him if he misses out another test series citing exhaustion from now.

Redbacks

International Captain
Pedantry is a form of folly. It arises in this way: a man lacks confidence in his own understanding and therefore, does not wish to trust to it, to recognise what is right directly in the particular case. He, therefore, puts it entirely under the control of the reason, and seeks to be guided by reason in everything; that is to say, he tries always to proceed from general concepts, rules, and maxims, and to confine himself strictly to them in life, in art, and even in moral conduct. Hence that clinging to the form, to the manner, to the expression and word which is characteristic of pedantry, and which takes the place of real nature of the matter. The incongruity then between the concept and reality soon shows itself here, and it becomes evident that the former never condescends to the particular case, and that with its generality and rigid definiteness it can never accurately apply to the fine distinctions of difference and innumerable modifications of the actual. Therefore, the pendant, with his general maxims, almost always misses the mark in life, shows himself to be foolish, awkward, useless. In art, in which the concept is unfruitful, he produces lifeless, stiff, abortive mannarisims. Even with regard to ethics, the purpose to act rightly or nobly cannot be carried in accordance with abstract maxims; for in many cases the excessively nice distinctions in the nature of the circumstances neccessitate a choice of the right proceeding directly from the character; for the application of the mere abstract maxims sometimes gives false results, because the maxims only half apply; and sometimes cannot be carried out, because they are foreign to the individual character of the actor, and this never allows itslef to be entirely discovered; therefore, inconsistencies arise.
I'll leave this one to Schopenhauer with regards to the issue regarding an answer to resting ponting :)

pup11

International Coach
I have one slight problem with this.

Why play him in a dead rubber ODI against South Africa then rest him from a live ODI against New Zealand if the injuy has been ongoing?
Obviously that's another mistake on the part of the selectors (which by now is nothing new for Aussie fans), if it is left upto Ponting he would play in each and every game for Australia, but somewhere down the line the selectors need to step in and make the call, which they failed to do then, and now its more a case of better late than never.

Uppercut

Was roundly criticised by Indians fans on here IIRC.
Yeah, I believe he did. However, could he have led his team to success against Australia- their greatest victory since, well, last time they beat Australia- without that break? I'm not so sure. And make no mistake, Dhoni was a big factor in their success.

A lot of the criticism was of the fact that he chose a test series to do it instead of missing T20s or ODIs, so it came down to personal priority. If that's the case, why the criticism of Ponting?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
*sigh* It would help if you did not pretend those points haven't already been addressed.

Anyway, as opposed to not resting him and risking a disaster in SA?
Yeah, this is a the point.

Take the Dhoni case for example. The Indian selectors left it up to Dhoni to manage his own workload, but instead of taking the Kitply Cup off, he ended up dropping a bombshell by breaking down and missing a Test series. Obviously letting players decide when they need rest and when they don't doesn't always work out.

Personally I don't see the logic in Ponting playing a dead rubber ODI and then resting from a live game a week or so later, but it makes a lot more sense than him suddenly discovering that he's burnt out come the second Test in South Africa.