• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I have a massive problem with McCullum appealing when there wasn't even any hint of bat on ball though. Cricket's moral logic can be a strange thing.
Your logic is strange. Its funny how you make sure everything fits nicely around your personal vendettas etc
A real lawyer.

Haddin knocked the stumps over, showed doubt yet claim none when asked. The umpires did nothing.

McCullum appealed for a catch down the leg side, it wasn't just him that went up, the bowler did also. Sure, there was probably some a little bit of doubt there, but since when have player never appealed on marginal calls. The umpire then gave it out. And it wasn't until using snicko that you could see that there was no edge.

And, heres the biggy....... McCullum never came out and said he was 100% certain that it was a catch.

Umpiring mistake? Yes
Cheating? No, but it conveniently suits your dislike for McCullum

You are seriously dire sometimes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Your logic is strange. Its funny how you make sure everything fits nicely around your personal vendettas etc
A real lawyer.

Haddin knocked the stumps over, showed doubt yet claim none when asked. The umpires did nothing.

McCullum appealed for a catch down the leg side, it wasn't just him that went up, the bowler did also. Sure, there was probably some a little bit of doubt there, but since when have player never appealed on marginal calls. The umpire then gave it out. And it wasn't until using snicko that you could see that there was no edge.

And, heres the biggy....... McCullum never came out and said he was 100% certain that it was a catch.

Umpiring mistake? Yes

Patel only went up because McCullum did. Shown on Ch 9.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A real lawyer.

Nothing personal against TH, seems like more than a decent bloke, but would have to agree with that tbh

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do you get so arsed up everytime someone posts something against an Aussie cricketer, even when it contains zilch bad-blood? You would put some Indian hardcore **** fans to shame.

It's not the Aussie cricketer comments that annoy me...it's the stupidity. Whether it be cricket or anything else. You're making a comment in a thread and I'm replying...if you don't want a reply write it on a piece of paper and stick it in your top draw.

And the last sentence is absolute crap...you've been here for 5 minutes and you make a comment like that. I take it you've spent time reading all of my posts if you're prepared to go out on a limb and make a statement that big.

Some of the things you say would put hardcore idiots to shame...I'm not sure who you thought you'd convince with the 'zero bad blood' statement.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't agree with it, but wicketkeepers often appeal to discourage the umpire from calling a wide. Wish it didn't happen, but unfortunately it does. Haven't seen a keeper who hasn't done that.
Don't agree with what? That McCullum didn't hear anything?

tbh I guess the other possibility is that McCullum just did the token "leg-side wide appeal" and to his surprise the umpire gave it. However, his reaction was not nearly sheepish enough for that. We are talking about the same bloke who ran out Chris Mpofu when he went to congratulate Blessing Mahwire on making a test 50 ffs.

Precambrian

Banned
I think what you are doing is accusing Haddin of intentionally removing the stumps with his gloves, and if that indeed was his plan then he won't have behaved in such a confused way after the dismissal.

I think Haddin knew something was wrong with dismissal and mistake that he committed at that time was he didn't say to the umpires that he wasn't sure about it.

To mask this, he is now saying he is 100% sure the ball flicked the bails and making a complete fool out of himself.
Sorry pup11, you just got it 100% wrong.

Please read through my posts earlier in this thread, and come up with a single sentence where I have said Haddin "intentionally" did it,

All I am saying is his "confused" face shows that, he was confused. You may infer anything from it, whether he was cheating, or he was thinking about the soup his wife made, or Einstein's theory of relativity.... anything. I am not suggesting anything, but that he looked very confused for 3-4 seconds after the dismissal, and attributed that to him being not the sharpest tool in the greens. Had it been any other Wk, I;d have given the cheating thing a second thought, but with Haddin, you know he simply is not crooked enough to do that.

thierry henry

International Coach
A real lawyer.

Umpiring mistake? Yes

I don't really care too much what Haddin has said in the media tbh. I'm not surprised he has been put on the defensive by some run-of-the-mill Douchebag Dan comments. There's another personal vendetta for you.

McCullum was the only one who appealed and there was absolutely no reason for anyone on the field to think that Dussey hit it. There isn't a shred of ANYTHING to explain why McCullum would think he hit it.

biased indian

International Coach
Don't agree with what? That McCullum didn't hear anything?

tbh I guess the other possibility is that McCullum just did the token "leg-side wide appeal" and to his surprise the umpire gave it. However, his reaction was not nearly sheepish enough for that. We are talking about the same bloke who ran out Chris Mpofu when he went to congratulate Blessing Mahwire on making a test 50 ffs.
thought it was murali who got out and sanga the batsmen !!!!!

or did he do that to the Zim player also ???

pup11

International Coach
McCullum' appeal shouldn't be an issue at all, as he has never claimed that he is some saint, he made an appeal (and it shouldn't be relevant either whether he thought it was a catch or not) and umpire ruled the decision in his favour.

The blame solely lies with the umpire, he is there to do a job and that decision was a mistake on his part, and its pretty ridiculous to criticise McCullum over this as he was well within his rights to appeal.

thierry henry

International Coach
thought it was murali who got out and sanga the batsmen !!!!!

or did he do that to the Zim player also ???
He did the exact same thing twice. Mpofu was the first victim back in late 2005. NZ were cruising to an innings victory and had 2 tail-enders in. It's almost as if he enjoys doing dodgy stuff like that.

biased indian

International Coach
I don't really care too much what Haddin has said in the media tbh. I'm not surprised he has been put on the defensive by some run-of-the-mill Douchebag Dan comments. There's another personal vendetta for you.

McCullum was the only one who appealed and there was absolutely no reason for anyone on the field to think that Dussey hit it. There isn't a shred of ANYTHING to explain why McCullum would think he hit it.
i have no problem with players appealing why are the umpires for .....?????

thierry henry

International Coach
McCullum' appeal shouldn't be an issue at all, as he has never claimed that he is some saint, he made an appeal (and it shouldn't be relevant either whether he thought it was a catch or not) and umpire ruled the decision in his favour.

The blame solely lies with the umpire, he is there to do a job and that decision was a mistake on his part, and its pretty ridiculous to criticise McCullum over this as he was well within his rights to appeal.
ok, so McCullum doesn't think it's out but appeals and that's ok

Haddin thinks it is out and appeals, and that's not

odd

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Disagree, sort of. The bottom side of your glove flicking it, while you are feeling the ball against your hand at an almost simultaneous moment; I think that is understandable.

Basically of the same opinion as most people, think that Haddin hasn't painted himself in glory (especially today) but I don't think you can accuse him of blatant cheating. Certainly couldn't give him games for it.
I think the initial comment (and I guess the only comment so far) from Vettori is fair enough.. He said that he thought Haddin KNEW something could have been wrong but didn't do anything about it... Obviously Princess Ponting and Haddin have over-reacted but tbh, this is becoming rather routine from Ponting... Over reacting to normal things...

I always thought of him as a basically chilled out nice enough guy (and most of his comments when his side was doing well seemed to imply that he had cooled down a lot since his younger days) but I guess the pressure of leading a side that is going down is starting to get to him a bit. I mean, what Vettori said is a pretty far cry from implying he was a blatant cheat.

And of course, even if he didn't feel his gloves dislodging the bail, are you actually telling me he did not know that the ball DID NOT hit the stumps? I mean, there is a totally different feel when you are taking a ball off the stumps... And there is no real way that ball could have hit the stumps, it is pretty clear from Precamb's shots... So either which way, I think he was being dishonest to at least some degree...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not the first time that has happened. And even the slightest of appeals, even by the third man can constitute a valid appeal, not that I need to tell you that, of all guys here.
Sorry for correcting someone. You know, must've been my Australian bias showing through!

Obviously, your post had nothing to do with my post at all though, did it?