• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So if Haddin may not have been sure, why wouldn't he have made that clear to the umpire?
I'm not sure mate, I'm not Brad Haddin. Why, in the numerous instances where there have been close calls on catches, haven't certain players said something? Why, when only one player appealed for LBW when Hussey (!?) was given out in the tests vs SA didn't a player say 'Come on umpy...you're not serious are you!?' (I don't really expect it to happen with LBW by the way). Why don't a number of batsmen from every cricket playing country in the world put their hands up and say they hit it when the keeper's taking a splinter out of it? Why do players appeal when they know an LBW has no chance of being upheld? Why do players appeal everytime the ball hits the pad and pops to a close in fielder?

As I said, maybe he wasn't sure and thought if the umpire at square leg hadn't intervened it must be ok. He had what...a few seconds to say something upon the dimissal happening?

Son Of Coco

SOC is not saying that the ball hit the stumps first, but in the way a keeper catches a ball he might not have felt the tips of the glove hitting the stumps.
Thanks mate, that's exactly what I'm saying. The first time I saw the replay I thought the ball hit...but I've watched it a few times now and don't think that happened at all.

Son Of Coco

or after the match when he had the chance.

As a result of his 100% comment he has left himself no out clause.
If he said "I had doubt but as the umpires did nothing I thought it must have been out" then it would have been forgiven, I'm sure. He could have even apologized after seeing a replay, and I'm sure all would have been forgiven in the end. (different story if NZ lose of course)

But of course he didn't, and has made matter worse.
I'm beginning to understand why users have called Haddin "a knob" in the past.
And I agree with this...he shouldn't have said he's 100% sure because he fairly obviously wasn't.

The funny thing is I met him about 6 years back and he was a really nice guy. Up there with Slater as the two nicest guys in the NSW team at the time, so I have trouble with the suggestion he did it out of any form of malice rather than simply not knowing and unfortunately not bringing it up with the umpire.

Precambrian

Banned
Thank you...so the ball actually hits the gloves in an area that is level with or slightly behind the stumps which might be why Haddin wasn't sure. The problem with your pics is they don't show the ball where it finished and they don't show the gloves moving as Haddin takes the ball. He finishes with the fingertips pointing more towards the ground hence the bails being dislodged.
He pulled back his gloves immediately after the ball hit the tip of the gloves, and then hit the palm. While moving back, the gloves, since they were in front of the stumps, hit the bails. Note how both the bails come out, instead of just one.

Screenshot No.5 & 6

Two different angles of the exact moment when the ball gets entrenched in Haddin's hand. Note that his hands are still in front of the off stump bail.

Screenshots No. 7 and 8

Again, another 2 shots of the moment when the bails start to come out. Interestingly, Haddin's right hand glove tip is still obscuring a tiny bit of the off stump. Should be the clincher.

Son Of Coco

He pulled back his gloves immediately after the ball hit the tip of the gloves, and then hit the palm. While moving back, the gloves, since they were in front of the stumps, hit the bails. Note how both the bails come out, instead of just one.

Screenshot No.5 & 6

Two different angles of the exact moment when the ball gets entrenched in Haddin's hand. Note that his hands are still in front of the off stump bail.

Screenshots No. 7 and 8
Thank you...so the ball actually hits the gloves in an area that is level with or slightly behind the stumps which might be why Haddin wasn't sure. The problem with your pics is they don't show the ball where it finished and they don't show the gloves moving as Haddin takes the ball. He finishes with the fingertips pointing more towards the ground hence the bails being dislodged.

:happy:

The bails are actually between his 3rd and 4th fingertips which might be why he thought the ball hit on the way through...that and, as you said, the ball going up into his gloves from the fingertips.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And I agree with this...he shouldn't have said he's 100% sure because he fairly obviously wasn't.
Agreed & of course this is whats making him look more of an idiot now, that every man & his dog can see he couldn't have been 100%

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As a keeper, albeit at zillion levels lower in terms of standard of cricket, I think it is almost impossible to not feel your glove hitting the stumps and dislodging the bails, even if it is by the slightest possible bit... We always know... IT is like nicking the ball to the keeper, even the faintest of nicks, almost all the time the batsman pretty much knows he has nicked it....

Precambrian

Banned

:happy:

The bails are actually between his 3rd and 4th fingertips which might be why he thought the ball hit on the way through...that and, as you said, the ball going up into his gloves from the fingertips.
True that, but that shouln't be an iota of an argument for Haddin.

Anyway, it takes to be a superman to do such a cheating job. Having seen him throw his glove to prevent a boundary, I really doubt he has got that IQ or speed to carry out such a "perfect cheat act". It happened unintentionally for sure.

But it is not that what irks me, but his Victim-play now, and his crap against Vettori. That was the bottom of the barrell stuff.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm surprised by the lack of discussion about McCullum's huge appeal for Dussey's phantom edge.

That was also a fairly clear case of celebrating the dismissal of a batsman you know isn't out, right? Except in this case, he didn't just celebrate it, he manufactured it out of nothing.

Hmmmm.

Son Of Coco

True that, but that shouln't be an iota of an argument for Haddin.

Anyway, it takes to be a superman to do such a cheating job. Having seen him throw his glove to prevent a boundary, I really doubt he has got that IQ or speed to carry out such a "perfect cheat act". It happened unintentionally for sure.

But it is not that what irks me, but his Victim-play now, and his crap against Vettori. That was the bottom of the barrell stuff.
So that shouldn't be an argument for him because why? It makes sense and happened quickly in real-time?

Or because you get your rocks off bagging players from a certain country? :happy:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As a keeper, albeit at zillion levels lower in terms of standard of cricket, I think it is almost impossible to not feel your glove hitting the stumps and dislodging the bails, even if it is by the slightest possible bit... We always know... IT is like nicking the ball to the keeper, even the faintest of nicks, almost all the time the batsman pretty much knows he has nicked it....
Disagree, sort of. The bottom side of your glove flicking it, while you are feeling the ball against your hand at an almost simultaneous moment; I think that is understandable.

Basically of the same opinion as most people, think that Haddin hasn't painted himself in glory (especially today) but I don't think you can accuse him of blatant cheating. Certainly couldn't give him games for it.

Precambrian

Banned
So that shouldn't be an argument for him because why? It makes sense and happened quickly in real-time?

Or because you get your rocks off bagging players from a certain country? :happy:
Haha, our cricketers do that to that particular country's cricketers so no need for me to step up, atleast till now.

Haddin really went far trying to interpret Vettori's statements as being suggestive of him cheating. And the least he could have done is to man up and say "I watched the replays, and am sure it was my gloves hitting the stumps. I am sorry, but I never had any idea of that having happened then", and everybody sane would have forgiven him. Instead, the idiot goes out and says, "How dare Vettori call me cheat? Such a low and under-the-belt hitter that Dan". He might have only lost more friends with that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm surprised by the lack of discussion about McCullum's huge appeal for Dussey's phantom edge.

That was also a fairly clear case of celebrating the dismissal of a batsman you know isn't out, right? Except in this case, he didn't just celebrate it, he manufactured it out of nothing.

Hmmmm.
Your a law student aren't you? Do we really need to explain the difference between the two dismissals? :ph34r: