• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
As for Vettori being asked the question, he could have answered it in a different way, he could have easily expressed his displeasure over the incident, without being this insightful and graphic about his thoughts, he could have told the press that he and his team management would review the replay, and take the matter to he match referee if they felt it was required.
Still haven't listened to the press conference then? :blink:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting has been a big idiot when it comes to handling matters like these, so why is that coming across as a surpise at all to anyone, he goes way over the top when it comes to standing up for one of his team-mates.

As for Vettori being asked the question, he could have answered it in a different way, he could have easily expressed his displeasure over the incident, without being this insightful and graphic about his thoughts, he could have told the press that he and his team management would review the replay, and take the matter to he match referee if they felt it was required.
TBH I don't think either Ponitng or Vettori have "escalated" the incident - it was always going to be something of a big issue, and frankly I'd rather they each tell us what they think than give us the usual platitudes that get trotted out by sportspeople.

Zinzan

Ponting has been a big idiot when it comes to handling matters like these, so why is that coming across as a surpise at all to anyone, he goes way over the top when it comes to standing up for one of his team-mates.

He was hardly 'graphic' about it. 8-) What should he have said exactly ?

pup11

International Coach
No, I don't for a minute think his intention was to deliberately knock the bails off, but I believe that he knew his gloves had hit first & were in front of the wickets after it happened & his initial reaction to the dismissal backs this up. At this point I feel he should have been obliged to tell the umpire he wasn't sure. He had this opportunity & didn't take it.
Yeah agree with this...

JBH001

International Regular
Hahaha!

I am glad that we won though, and not lost by a few runs. You Aussies would never ever have heard the end of it! :D

pup11

International Coach
Saw the replay and clearly the ball didn't hit the stump from what i saw, if New Zealand team management take the evidence upto the officials, there is no way Haddin is getting away with that.

Burgey

Saw the replay and clearly the ball didn't hit the stump from what i saw, if New Zealand team management take the evidence upto the officials, there is no way Haddin is getting away with that.
WTF? How can they charge him when all these other arse holes who've claimed catches haven't been sanctioned?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I don't think they want him to be charged though. If you listen to the press conference, Vettori tries to play it down, I doubt he wanted to make it a fuss.

pup11

International Coach
Then why do you disagree with what Vettori said. :blink:
All i am saying is that, it wasn't the place for Vettori to say all that stuff, he could clearly evaded the question asked regarding this, by saying we are reviewing the whole incident and we would decide what to do about this in the coming days.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Massive blow with Ryder out, so much hanging on Taylor's shoulders, can't afford a bad game.
Yeah. :(
A huge weight on his shoulders, if he gets out its basically all over for NZ, so hopefully McCullum and Guptill can step up and share some of that weight at the top of the order.

Yeah, maybe a big ask for Guptill, but he has shown so far that he is more than competant.

pup11

International Coach
I don't think they want him to be charged though. If you listen to the press conference, Vettori tries to play it down, I doubt he wanted to make it a fuss.
Well Ponting has done his best to jump the gun and make a big issue about it though.

WTF? How can they charge him when all these other arse holes who've claimed catches haven't been sanctioned?
No body took a case against them to match officials, did they, and still in most cases of grassed catches, there is still a slight element of doubt that remains, but in this incident there isn't much doubt (from what i saw), and i think the umpires are slightly more guilty of ignorance in the whole matter than Haddin.

Precambrian

Banned
Interesting that Haddin says Vettori should have aired his grievances in private, yet Haddin's grievances against Vettori are made through the media.
Yeah. That was pis poor. Instead of admitting the mistake, he had a go at vettori's neck. Sad really. Vettori "had" a genuine reason to have a go at Haddin, but with Haddin's getting back was pathetic. And

Burgey

Well Ponting has done his best to jump the gun and make a big issue about it though.

No body took a case against them to match officials, did they, and still in most cases of grassed catches, there is still a slight element of doubt that remains, but in this incident there isn't much doubt (from what i saw), and i think the umpires are slightly more guilty of ignorance in the whole matter than Haddin.
Yeah but Haddin's look is one of doubt as well, which is why he should have said sommat.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah but Haddin's look is one of doubt as well, which is why he should have said sommat.
That's where he has made the biggest mistake, after looking like a lost kid at that moment, he is trying to convince everyone that he is 100% postive that the ball clipped the bails, and if that was the case, then his body language, clearly didn't match his confidence.

Haddin shouldn't really have tried to mask this whole incident, as soon as he saw the replay, he should have excepted his ignorance.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Glad I havent seen the incident

I still havent recovered from the Port Arthur Massacre and another crime of that magnitude would destroy my faith in humanity
Personally, I'd have called it a wide.

What do you mean, it may have hit the bails? May is the operative word here, I feel. If it didn't hit the bails, call it wide and get on with the game, eh Social ;)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I can't help but steal someone's dissection of Haddin's comments on another forum:

"I was unaware at the time my hands were in front of the stumps.

"After looking at the replay (I realise) my hands were in front of the stumps but the ball, I'm 100 percent positive, hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves."

Outstanding explanation by Haddin. Although by his account his gloves are IN FRONT of the stumps, the ball hits the bails FIRST. Clearly the ball must then have bounced upwards and backwards towards the bowler to clear the gloves before then reversing direction again to get into his gloves. Instead of...for example....going behind the bails (where his hands weren't) albeit it at a higher angle of inclination. What they don't do, in my limited experience, is pop into the hands of someone with his gloves in front of the wicket. Clearly this idea must now be discarded.

Amazing what can happen on a cricket field. Must have happened that way tho....since Haddin's honesty is beyond doubt
Puts a whole new perspective on modern cricket. It must have been a mystery ball.