• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I have read, Harmison was the 'pick' of the bowlers yesterday whilst two wickets for Anderson and a lack of potency from Sidebottom may see Jimmy start next week.
BBC sport say the complete opposite.

I thought there was a mandatory declaration in tour matches?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
cricinfo reckon that Harmison took the last 2 to fall.

Can't see whySidebottom is a cert after playing next to no cricket in the last 6 months.
yeah apparently the radio comms got it wrong. Anyway Simmons finally out to Sidebottom...didnt quite make 300

Jigga988

State 12th Man
For the same reason we can leave Carlton Baugh out.
Oh Lordy, there's not much better on show tbh, I don't see the reason why we can't take a punt on a guy who has scored 250+ runs in one innings against the same attack we'll play in the test match. Simmons has at least had some experience, though if Carlton Baugh did something similar to this then I might have to retract my statement somewhat. Carlton Baugh is a joke but Simmo is not don't see why you wouldn't just chuck him in there, like I said rather him than Richards.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Oh Lordy, there's not much better on show tbh, I don't see the reason why we can't take a punt on a guy who has scored 250+ runs in one innings against the same attack we'll play in the test match.
For the same reason that we can't take a guy who's scored two impressive hundreds against Australia in warmup matches. Because there's no sense investing in mediocrity. And Simmons has done little to prove that he's not mediocre. Let him play out the season at least to prove it.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
For the same reason that we can't take a guy who's scored two impressive hundreds against Australia in warmup matches. Because there's no sense investing in mediocrity. And Simmons has done little to prove that he's not mediocre. Let him play out the season at least to prove it.
Suppose there's a point to that... big man Morton always seemed to score the runs in warm up matches, but I just think a 280 odd is different tbh.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
WI declare at 574 with Harmy leaving with 4 wickets - mostly the tail - and England race to 113 for 1 off 20 with Strauss on 55 and Bell on 49, though Cook's out for golden duck via Mclean.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Latest i heard is, Cook got a duck, Strauss 55* and Bell 49*. Bell dropped btw, straightforward chance

Looks like we're stuck with Bell for the test series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Suppose there's a point to that... big man Morton always seemed to score the runs in warm up matches, but I just think a 280 odd is different tbh.
Hey, Simmons played a quality knock. Now he should go back to T&T and score at least 2-3 more tons this season. Because one innings cannot make a mediocre batsman a Test class batsman. Doesn't matter who it's against.

The way I see it: Australia > England, Simmons > Baugh. If Baugh can score an unbeaten hundred against Australia, Simmons can theoretically score a double ton against England. Says nothing about Test credentials, because it wasn't a Test match. Of course my mathematics doesn't strictly apply to cricket, but there's a point in there somewhere.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ha, Bell gets his 50 and gets out. Hopefully Shah gets a ton...KP in, Wallace got Bell out, interested in following his career...obviously he should be behind Dave in the pecking order but he's one for the future maybe?

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Hey, Simmons played a quality knock. Now he should go back to T&T and score at least 2-3 more tons this season. Because one innings cannot make a mediocre batsman a Test class batsman. Doesn't matter who it's against.

The way I see it: Australia > England, Simmons > Baugh. If Baugh can score an unbeaten hundred against Australia, Simmons can theoretically score a double ton against England. Says nothing about Test credentials, because it wasn't a Test match. Of course my mathematics doesn't strictly apply to cricket, but there's a point in there somewhere.
Ha, liking the innovative mathematics there... thats the effect uni has on people

Jigga988

State 12th Man
ha, Bell gets his 50 and gets out. Hopefully Shah gets a ton...KP in, Wallace got Bell out, interested in following his career...obviously he should be behind Dave in the pecking order but he's one for the future maybe?
He'll just keep getting scores like that, i.e. forties anf fifties in the Windies and retain his spot in the Ashes where he'll get EXSPOSED big time... thought I'd add the big time just in case the exsposed in capital letters wasn't epic enough. Shah's the man right now... got to play from an England pov.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Guy on another forum who's listening to Am in St Kitts gives the best updates...think thats where Caribbean Cricket gets the updates from as well

Craig

World Traveller

Your right in what you say, but knowing the WI selectors Simmons will be making his Test debut in the first Test, not that it is the right thing. Anyway two questions for you Liam, is this Barath chap worth his salt as an opener and do you have a better fast bowler to replace Daren Powell?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Your right in what you say, but knowing the WI selectors Simmons will be making his Test debut in the first Test, not that it is the right thing. Anyway two questions for you Liam, is this Barath chap worth his salt as an opener and do you have a better fast bowler to replace Daren Powell?
Simmons won't play. Spinners lead the wicket charts in FC. Only one who'd be in contention who would definitely be better than Powell is Pedro Collins.