• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Ernest

U19 12th Man
You are simply talking crap because, with the exception of the last few years, Oz has comfortably been the worst behaved team in the world since at least '72 and, if the truth be known, since WW2

In other words, you're either a troll or the Neil Harvey of cricketweb
BTW I know Neil Harvey my grandmother worked for him when he was a manager of a Tupperware factory.

And I spoke to Harold Larwood on the phone when i was a young bloke. He was a real gentleman and told me that bodyline was invented out of fear of Bradmans talent.. he never set out to hurt anybody.

Redbacks

International Captain
I am a true blue 100% Aussie. I'm not out to piss any Australians off just to show a different side to the national character than the one-eyes jingoists that haunt these types of forums.

I love my cricket and Australia hasn't been good for it over the last 13 years. So I'm cheering for the end of the tyrants. And back to equal competative cricket.

That's it.
Nah it's just the tall poppy syndrome.

self-categorization theory - The theory proposes that people change their concept of the self in order to associate themselves with prestige and/or distance themselves from failure/negativity.

Now would be the perfect time to out one's self as God's gift to Australian morality and the greater good of cricket, just as the losses begin, not when predicted success are immanent. Ego stroking:dry:

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Nah it's just the tall poppy syndrome.

self-categorization theory - The theory proposes that people change their concept of the self in order to associate themselves with prestige and/or distance themselves from failure/negativity.

Now would be the perfect time to out one's self as God's gift to Australian morality and the greater good of cricket, just as the losses begin, not when predicted success are immanent. Ego stroking:dry:
Your theory falls apart given that I started like this when Tugga lost the plot with his "mental disintegration".. whether you believe this or not is irrelevant.

And I contend that the tall poppy syndrome is what stops us from turning into yanks. So I see it as a positive part of our convict culture.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
I meant that I enjoyed watching him play cricket, not that I wished to discuss quantum mechanics with him.
No but I was surprised I thought cricketers at that level would have some sort of nous about them.

Maybe that is why he is still mired in mediocrity. Never had enough brains.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
No but I was surprised I thought cricketers at that level would have some sort of nous about them.

Maybe that is why he is still mired in mediocrity. Never had enough brains.
In your judgement, perhaps. Though given some of the other comments you've come out with on this thread...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
72? Do you even know what you are talking about? And the comment about WW2 well mate you really have lost the plot. Mark Taylor was a great captain and didn't tolerate the terrible stuff that Ponting engendered.

May as well say Aus cricket has been bad since Warwick Armstrong asked a spectator who they were playing in the 20/21 series against England.

Mate read some books. We were always respected until only recently.
Don Bradman, unquestionably the greatest cricketer in history and quite possible the greatest sportsman, was universally disliked as a team-mate, opponent, administrator and businessman

Ian Chappell was credited with introducing sledging as a tactic and his team were a disgrace by today's standards

Despite his athletic grace, his brother Greg was considerably worse

Fortunately, their reign was broken by the cynical, racist rule of Viv

Allan Border (my first A grade captain btw) determined that Oz needed to be "hard" to regain their ascendancy and was so bad that he could not be relied upon to be civil at a mixed club function and was ejected from more than one for foul language

Mark Taylor (who I've played with and against maybe 50 times) captained a side that was characterised by drunken revelry (something that Steve Waugh was determined to stamp out on taking over - read the book!)

Steve Waugh (grew up with him) is a prick

In short, Ponting is no angel but no worse (and decidedly better) than some of his predecessors

BTW, do you have any idea how ridiculous it looks to have 2 Aussies arguing how bad their team's behaviour is on this site?

I do

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Morne's a different bowler from what he was 6 months ago where he kept losing the plot. Then again he's bowling 140s instead of 150km/h.

Parnell bowled well on debut and was unlucky not to get more wickets. It's all fantastic experience for him.

Well done Lopsy. Ntini should think about hanging up his boots now.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
One decent performance in 5, yeah solid work. Missed a full bunger with the bat as well.
Yeah he was getting mauled in other 4 games, right....

Hopes has consistently proved to be a more than adequate 5th bowler in ODI' and it not his fault that they are making him bat at no.8, he is clearly not comfortable batting lower down the order.

pup11

International Coach
But that's the whole point isn't it? He wasn't the 5th bowler in this series, he was the 4th at the least, was always brought on first or second change and always bowled his ten. He didn't bowl anywhere near well enough to not be seriously worried about his spot in the side, though there's pretty much no-one left in the cupboard.
That's was core of all problems for Australia, Hopes is ok with keeping the runs down and taking an odd wicket, but he just can't win a game for Australia on the back of his bowling.

When Australia opted to play with only 4 bowlers and 8 batsmen, which was obviously a wrong move, but still when they were doing it, their focus should have been on chasing as many times as possible, and backing all their batsmen to chase whatever was set for them to chase.

The perfect combination though in given circumstances would have been to have Hopes open instead of Warner, and play an extra bowler.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
What like a settled pace attack, a geniune all-rounder and a budding all rounder, a settled opening pair, a good spinner and people actually pressing for places?? Oh yeah and one of the world's best batsman freed of the ceptaincy so he can fire?
:laugh: Idiotic post.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amazes me that people cant work this out

Oz wins the WC every time it's played because that's the only thing they've cared about in ODIs

They won the the Champions Trophy in a canter last time because they'd never won it

NO-ONE in this country will give a toss about recent ODI series so long as they win in 2011

Unfortunately, unlike the last decade, we're in a different position now - the team needs to win something

Personally, I believe India will win in 2011 because that's the way it's been set up but Oz definitely have potentially the most talented group of players IF they can ever get them on the field at the same time
Pathetic - Be a man & give SA the credit they deserve rather than bleating on about the past & trying to downplay their magnificent performance Don't try & make out Australian's don't care about a series like this, because your defensive post clearly illustrates how bitter & twisted you are about the whole thing.

Disgraceful tbh, & quite unlike you to be fair