• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

thierry henry

International Coach
lol what's your problem?

All I'm saying is, if Vettori really is a gun death bowler, I'd bowl him at the death for sure.

Personally, I don't think he is, so we may as well leave those few death overs to Patel.

What's so offensive about that?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He bowls "through the middle" even in T20s :p

I dunno....if he's as gun as his T20 record suggests than by all means, let's bowl him at the death. It's hard to judge imo since T20 internationals are so few and far between and 4 over spells are just so, well, short.
Totally agree with Upper tbh, your not making sense on this one, 3-4 overs is enough to bowl at the death in ODI's & essentially the whole game of T20's is "the death" & Vettori normally bowls most of his T20 4 overs in the last 10, so what exactly is the difference :wacko:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oz openers should be Hughes (fair play to him, 4 centuries can't be ignored including 150 with the world watching) and Katich

Couldnt care about the rest

pup11

International Coach
Oz openers should be Hughes (fair play to him, 4 centuries can't be ignored including 150 with the world watching) and Katich

Couldnt care about the rest
I think either you have posted on the wrong thread, or are you saying Hughes and Katich should open for Australia in the ODI's...:unsure:

howardj

International Coach
PJ Hughes should be drafted into the ODI squad vs NZ, as a lead in to his now certain selection for the South African tour.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
PJ Hughes should be drafted into the ODI squad vs NZ, as a lead in to his now certain selection for the South African tour.
Disagree with this. He hasn't been great in ODD this year and if he has a poor run in the ODI's (which is likely) it could kill all his momentum for the SA tour. Keep him in the Shield.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Is the squad the same as it was for yesterdays match? or will a new one be released today?

Hughes is one of the best young opening batsmen i've ever seen. He scored a magnificent fifty in a tour game against SL, he played some glorious cover drives and sweeps against Murali. And he was only 18 yrs old at the time. But with this incompetent selection committee and the paranoia of "young and inexperienced" cricketers failing, it'll be a while until he debuts.

howardj

International Coach
Surely, in terms of easing him into international cricket, he's a better investment than Warner for this Series. I don't think Clarke was ready against England in 2002/2003, but that ODI Series served as a good way to ease him into the the international sphere.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think either you have posted on the wrong thread, or are you saying Hughes and Katich should open for Australia in the ODI's...:unsure:
That's exactly what I'm saying

IF Hughes is good enough then the exposure wont do him any harm and Katich is in great form and scores his runs relatively quickly

It's not as though we're changing a winning side or breaking up a successful combination

pup11

International Coach
That's exactly what I'm saying

IF Hughes is good enough then the exposure wont do him any harm and Katich is in great form and scores his runs relatively quickly

It's not as though we're changing a winning side or breaking up a successful combination
May i ask what wrong has Marsh done to be dropped from the side, on the other hand Katich' ODI career is all but over.

Hughes has a case of opening instead of Warner, but i would rather have Hopes open with Marsh and play an extra bowler instead.

pasag

RTDAS
Disagree with this. He hasn't been great in ODD this year and if he has a poor run in the ODI's (which is likely) it could kill all his momentum for the SA tour. Keep him in the Shield.
Would be nice to have him around the squad though, even if he wasn't playing as long as it doesn't mean missing any domestic cricket.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
May i ask what wrong has Marsh done to be dropped from the side, on the other hand Katich' ODI career is all but over.
Agreed - Marsh has had an excellent series.

The only problem with Sean Marsh is that he's not a century maker. So effectively we're picking a guy who might make a methodical 50, or might just get out cheaply.

Hughes is a much better all around batsman - but, like you say, what has Marsh done to deserve a dropping!

No malice against Marsh, but I hope he fails in the next 3 games against the Kiwis so that there's at least a reason to drop him.
No malice - it's just that he has concentration issues - both with the bat and in the field. And there's a guy out there who can score just as quickly, have better ODD records this season, and could be a long term solution at the opening spot in both forms of the game.

Going back to Hopes as opener might just work - but who is the bowler you'd bring in? Because they'd have to be able to weild the willow at least a little to provide some sort of depth.

kingkallis

International Coach
Cant really wait to see how McCullum and Ryder plays the pathetic looking Aussie bowling line up!

Expecting great firework from Warner as well...