• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'll tell you that for nothing, Australia certainly don't want to loose against an SA team loaded with 2nd stringers. Lots to play for indeed....

SA will certainly be the more relaxed of the teams....:cool:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Proteas turn to youth

South Africa have rested Dale Steyn and Makhaya Ntini and selected all rounder Wayne Parnell and paceman Lonwabo Tsotsobe for Friday nights clash with Australia despite if they win it will gain promote them to the number 1 ranking in ODI’s.

The youngsters, aged 19 and 24 respectively will be keen to impress selectors during the 5th ODI at the WACA and keep their position in the squad when Australia tour later this year in February-April.

Both Parnell and Tsotsobe played a Twenty20 against Australia before the One Day series commenced and had a taste of international cricket. Parnell’s 4 wicket less over’s went for 44 and Tsotsobe’s 2 over’s picked up a wicket and went for 16 runs.
Jacques Kallis will take a well earned break to rest his side strain if batsmen Vaughn van Jaarsveld pass a fitness test on his troublesome ankle. South African bowling coach Vinnie Barns did concede that if the series was 2 all Ntini and Steyn would have played. He also said that because they were not participating in this match didn’t mean that the Proteas were treating it as a practice match; rather they are blooding youngsters and looking to the future.

"It's just part of our rotation policy,'' Barnes said. “We are looking long-term. We have to rest players, we are committed to that.”

"We are not going to go into Friday's game thinking about losing or taking it as an ordinary game, there's a huge commitment from everybody,” he said. "We've got a couple of young players coming in who want to make an impact and secure their future so Friday night's game is as important as the game we've just played.''
He also mentioned that the South Africans didn’t want to give the Australians any ‘breathing space’ and not give Australia any momentum coming in to their tour next month.

Regular vice-captain Michael Clarke and left arm fast bowler Nathan Bracken return to the Australian side in place of Ryan Harris and Nathan Hauritz as Australia look to finish the series off on a positive note.

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
If I would be the writer or/and publisher of this article, I would damn you for not giving credit....

But since I'm not - thanks for the Info.

inbox24

International Debutant
It might seem like some inconsequential ODI in the context of this series, but a few things; 3-2 looks much better than a 4-1 flogging on paper (although either way we did get flogged). It's a great chance for guys who are so out of it at the moment, like Hussey and Haddin to build some form for the NZ series, and also for Warner to possibly cement his position in the absence of Watson. This would be a perfect chance for another lightning knock against a weakened bowling attack.

pup11

International Coach
Real pity but you can't blame them. Played their best players when it mattered, unlike Australia. There's virtually no point for the game on Friday now from Australia's point of view.
I guess you are miffed that Australia didn't play Johnson from the beginning of the series, and maybe who knows had he been there from the start of the series, Australia might have won the earlier games, but there is no hiding from the fact that Australia just have failed to click as a unit, and the last ODI is a good opportunity to start working towards eradicating the mistakes they have made so far this summer.

Evermind

International Debutant
Well with Clarke and Bracken back the side definately looks a lot stronger.

If only we had Lee and Symonds back we'd have an almost full strength unit. Throw in a fit Jaques at the top of the order and Watson at 7 and we would then be back to our dominating selves.
I doubt it. The team would be much better, certainly one of the best, but I doubt Australia will dominate the next world cup on the same level. Without Gilchurch, McGrath, Hayden and Warne, they're simply not going to murder other teams like they used to. SA and India have vastly improved as ODI outfits and I look forward to the 2011 cup.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Volty hunting for Semantics, poor form against a good guy like him.

Good stuff jake.

How about you stop chasing around commenting on everything I do, you obsessed little boy?

If Jakester wants to be a journalist, he has to learn about attribution.

inbox24

International Debutant
I think we can safely say that the careers of Clark and Lee are effectively over, or at least their best days are over.

How dire, in the space of 2 years we lost;

Lee
Warne
Clark
McGrath

:(

I guess if we blood the right new talent, we can still be near the top in about 7-10 years right, because we're transitioning earlier than anyone else (besides NZ).

Pieface

Cricket Spectator
Clark out is massive for the return series. I really think a fit Clark could have turned this series on it's head and had hoped to see him play in SA.

Hopefully Clark can get right for the Ashes.

Where is Siddle at with his injury?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think we can safely say that the careers of Clark and Lee are effectively over, or at least their best days are over.

How dire, in the space of 2 years we lost;

Lee
Warne
Clark
McGrath

:(

I guess if we blood the right new talent, we can still be near the top in about 7-10 years right, because we're transitioning earlier than anyone else (besides NZ).
Which just happens to be the very attack that ripped through the Poms in 06/07.