• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Besides, if you bowl beamers regularly accidentally, that's much worse IMO. At least if you do it on purpose you can control it. You can choose not to bowl beamers. If you regularly do it accidentally you're a threat to every member of the opposite team and shouldn't really be allowed to play for safety reasons.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well to be fair it is pretty hard to bowl a beamer. Like, if you're a seamer (which I am) and try to bowl a yorker, you never balls it up so much that it ends up head high, knee high maybe, but not head high. Obviously i'm not bowling as quickly as Lee, but still...there is quite a discernible difference in the action.

Plus Rodney Hogg said himself he used to use an intentional beamer to intimidate batsmen and he reckoned Lee was doing the same thing. Funnily enough, Lee's beamer only ever came out when he was getting smashed.
Lee is far too nice a guy to actually try bowling beamers on purpose. The fact that he hasn't really bowled any for years, suggest to me that it was a technical issue that he had sorted after all the controversy back in 2005.

Polo23

International Debutant
Lee is far too nice a guy to actually try bowling beamers on purpose. The fact that he hasn't really bowled any for years, suggest to me that it was a technical issue that he had sorted after all the controversy back in 2005.
Or he knows he's on his last warning, and if he does it again he may get in serious trouble.

While I agree Lee is a nice guy, things change when you are on a cricket field, especially with the pressure of playing for your country i'd imagine.

I'm unconvinced it was an accident, and I always will be.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Or he knows he's on his last warning, and if he does it again he may get in serious trouble.

While I agree Lee is a nice guy, things change when you are on a cricket field, especially with the pressure of playing for your country i'd imagine.

I'm unconvinced it was an accident, and I always will be.
I maintain that the outrage in New Zealand at the time was at least partially to do with jealousy that we didn't have any bowlers fast enough to do endanger batsmen even if they desparately wanted to.

Polo23

International Debutant
I maintain that the outrage in New Zealand at the time was at least partially to do with jealousy that we didn't have any bowlers fast enough to do endanger batsmen even if they desparately wanted to.
Shane Bond?

I disagree. He bowled something like 5 or 6 beamers throughout the tour. It got ridiculous.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd back Mark Gillespie to bowl a few beamers in his career tbh.

And Brendan Nash (should) disagree with you after he faced Jimmy's random spell.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Bond?

I disagree. He bowled something like 5 or 6 beamers throughout the tour. It got ridiculous.
He bowled 2, maybe 3 if you count a waste high full toss as one. And Shane Bond was injured at the time and looking like never playing again. New Zealand's bowling attack was made up of Tuffee (after he got crap), Mills (before he got good), Jeff Wilson, Lance Hamilton and Tama Canning.

Polo23

International Debutant
He bowled 2, maybe 3 if you count a waste high full toss as one. And Shane Bond was injured at the time and looking like never playing again. New Zealand's bowling attack was made up of Tuffee (after he got crap), Mills (before he got good), Jeff Wilson, Lance Hamilton and Tama Canning.
Cairns? Oram?

He bowled 1 to Harris, 2 or 3 to McCullum. Accident? If you say so.

Flem274*

123/5
Yuck.

I remember the horrible days of Mills and Franklin bowling together in ODIs before Mills became world class. It was horrible. The death bowling was the worst bit.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cairns? Oram?

He bowled 1 to Harris, 2 or 3 to McCullum. Accident? If you say so.
Oram? That's your suggestion for an out and out quick bowler? Well, I suppose back then 130 k's down wind was probably the quickest we had. Oh, and in that series Cairns developed an injury and was unable to bowl. So no, we didn't have him either.Not that it would've mattered given that by that stage his top speed was about 135.

And yes, I do say so.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I believe the outrage began with Lee's full-toss to an injured Chris Harris during the Sydney ODI in early 2004 and had nothing to do with jealousy. You just seem to be plucking theories out of thin air.
You do realise I am only half serious?

The truth though, is that the 2004 tour to England, when we witnessed our frontline attack of Martin, Tuffee, Oram and Cairns be put to shame by Flintoff, Harmison, Jones and Hoggard, really did awaken the country to the fact that our bowling attack was depressingly pedestrian. Bond was injured, Martin was out of form and Franklin had yet to prove himself. At a time when genuine fast bowling seemed to be experiencing a rennaissance, we were stuck with arguably the weakest and certainly the slowest 'attack' of the big 8. "pop-gun" became the catch phrase of the summer. Panicking newspaper collumnists went on and on about the weakness of our bowlers and started suggesting random nobodies like Sherlock and Te Ahu Davis as potential bolters.

And over the Tasman came Lee in all his 100mph glory, and proceeded to poleaxe our batsman to the tune of 10 wickets at an average of 16.9 and economy rate of 3.93. For me, given how well he bowled, it really didn't make sense for him to rely on beamers to be getting batsmen out. He really didn't need to. A real sense of envy was evident amongst a lot of cricket fans, and while people had a right to be angry, I do think that they (probably egged on by Bracewell's moronisms) went a bit over the top.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Two evenly balanced sides, this should be a very tight series from the Tasman rivals.

I'm expecting Australia to narrowly win if our 2 best ODI players [Ponting and Bracken] perform.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
While on the beamer debate, I'd like to say that bowling a head high beamer can be often an accident through the ball coming out of your hand far too early.

Flem274*

123/5
Just been reading the coverage on the Herald Online. The 'Your Views" section on cricket makes me weep for the nation. Definition of dire.

Mind, Chris Rattue (a fully fledged reporter) makes Bahnz seem like a fanboy. Also, the pick Chris Martin for ODIs bandwagon is still alive for some strange reason.

Thank God for Cricketweb.

EDIT: Australian media seem fairly definite on what will happen judging by the Daily Telegraph. :p

Yeah, we aren't great, but when you have White and Hopes in your side, people in glass houses..

Anyway, my prediction for the series is 3-2 to Australia with Aussie (read Bracken) killing us in game one and a 330+chasing victory for NZ in the last game.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just been reading the coverage on the Herald Online. The 'Your Views" section on cricket makes me weep for the nation. Definition of dire.

Mind, Chris Rattue (a fully fledged reporter) makes Bahnz seem like a fanboy. Also, the pick Chris Martin for ODIs bandwagon is still alive for some strange reason.

Thank God for Cricketweb.

EDIT: Australian media seem fairly definite on what will happen judging by the Daily Telegraph. :p

Yeah, we aren't great, but when you have White and Hopes in your side, people in glass houses..

Anyway, my prediction for the series is 3-2 to Australia with Aussie (read Bracken) killing us in game one and a 330+chasing victory for NZ in the last game.
Chris Martin > Gillespie even in ODI's TBH

But I'd have a few bowlers ahead of either of them anyway.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Personal faves:
"I think the Black Caps have a chance. Australia are below thier game, then again, beware the sleeping giant."

"From your photo that new kid Boultt looks like he is about 15 years old.

The Aussies will chew him up and spit him out."