• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Clarke be fit? Will make a huge difference to the look of the team imo. Not only an experienced batsman, but good for a few overs and great in the field.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thought I read somewhere that Nannes had already played/declared allegiancy for Dutch - if not, sorry. Only thing against him is his age.

Moises is obviously a big talent and I've really got no problem with giving him a go but I'd make him a straight swap for Hopes in his current role i.e. bowl/bat 8
Too classy to bat at 8, he isn't a slogger. He should bat as high as possible if he ever got a gig.

In regard to Nannes, seems like a young 32 year old to me as opposed to an old 33 year old Stuart Clark and the WC is only two years away.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Nannes can't play international cricket for two reasons imo are, a) his age, not the ideal age really for him to start his international career b) the frequency with which he bowls beamers, and this is something very serious, being hit by 145 kmph beamer could really prove nasty for a batsman.

No way Henriques should be even considered for Australia A side leave alone the Australian side, Henriques has been shockingly poor this season, and though he is clearly talented, he is hardly putting up the performances to back his talent.

McGain is someone who i won't be really mind playing, but i would rather have him play for the Vics in SS and prove his fitness and form ahead of the South African series.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, shouldn't we wait till Henriques actually does something first? Like have a good domestic season for example. Perhaps make a OD 50 or take a 4 or 5fer - just putting it out there.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
No way Henriques should be even considered for Australia A side leave alone the Australian side, Henriques has been shockingly poor this season, and though he is clearly talented, he is hardly putting up the performances to back his talent.
TBF to him he has bowled well in the FR Cup this season. Averages 29-odd which isn't bad for a 22yo with a history of back injury and very little experience.

pup11

International Coach
Australia must be relieved to be playing this mob after the SA series loss. I'm tipping a 4-1 win to Australia, the only win that they'll get is a typical 330 posted by Australia and a 49 over chase by NZ. NZ have some very talented batsmen but their bowling is hopeless.
I won't take the Black cap side lightly at all, and tbh i think as an ODI side New Zealand are slightly stronger unit compared to South Africa, and if this is how the Australian team is fairing against the South African team, then they could be in for some real trouble against the Black Caps, Australia just can't afford to make the same sort of mistakes they made against South Africans.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nannes can't play international cricket for two reasons imo are, a) his age, not the ideal age really for him to start his international career b) the frequency with which he bowls beamers, and this is something very serious, being hit by 145 kmph beamer could really prove nasty for a batsman.

McGain is someone that i won't be really mind playing, but i would rather have him play for the Vics in SS and prove his fitness and form ahead of the South African series.
I recall Brett Lee had a problem with beamers as well. Dirk played for Middlesex last year and I don't recall him sending down one. I maybe wrong though. Though, pretty weak excuse for not selecting him. Shaun Tait and Ben Hilfenhaus have a dangerous tendency to bowl crap, that is far more serious.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I won't take the Black cap side lightly at all, and tbh i think as an ODI side New Zealand are slightly stronger unit compared to South Africa, and if this is how the Australian team is fairing against the South African team, then they could be in for some real trouble against the Black Caps, Australia just can't afford to make the same sort of mistakes they made against South Africans.
Not sure about that.

pup11

International Coach
TBF to him he has bowled well in the FR Cup this season. Averages 29-odd which isn't bad for a 22yo with a history of back injury and very little experience.
No, don't get me wrong mate, i have been a fan of him ever since his U-19 days and i think there is a lot of class and potential in him, but surely he just can't be picked for Australia just because of that, though the good thing this season is he is playing without any major injury problems, and that's probably the step in the right direction, hopefully now he can build on this, and start stringing a few good performances.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
No, don't get me wrong mate, i have been a fan of him ever since his U-19 days and i think there is a lot of class and potential in him, but surely he just can't be picked for Australia just because of that, though the good thing this season is he is playing without any major injury problems, and that's probably the step in the right direction, hopefully now he can build on this, and start stringing a few good performances.
**** me, I never said anything about picking the ****, but you were completely rubbishing his whole season which was unfair because he's bowled pretty well from what I've seen and his stats aren't bad.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Other way around if anything.
Exactly.
While we may have some "talent" in the batting department, it is pretty hit and miss.

Bowling-wise, we have Vettori and Mills who are excellent in ODI's.
Yeah, we don't have many proven players after those 2, but Southee has had a good start to his career whilst being a bit expensive on occasions. With Oram, the bowling would be even better, but at least there is no GillesPIE.

Yeah, but definitely BOWLING > BATTING

Still should be a good series, Aussie are favourites but it should be a good fight with, hopefully, 2-3 really tight games.

pup11

International Coach
I recall Brett Lee had a problem with beamers as well. Dirk played for Middlesex last year and I don't recall him sending down one. I maybe wrong though. Though, pretty weak excuse for not selecting him. Shaun Tait and Ben Hilfenhaus have a dangerous tendency to bowl crap, that is far more serious.
Nannes bowls beamers with alarming regularity, this season Nannes was banned from attack after bowling head-high balls in a SS game, goes onto show he has problem there, as this is just not a one-off incident.

Anyways just because Hilfenhaus and Tait had a bad game, doesn't necessarily make them bad bowlers, i think both have some problems to work on, but both are pretty talented blokes, and definitely should be in Australia' scheme of plans for the future.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Marsh
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hopes
Mussey
Haddin
Heal
Johnson
Bracken
Bollinger

or something

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Australia must be relieved to be playing this mob after the SA series loss. I'm tipping a 4-1 win to Australia, the only win that they'll get is a typical 330 posted by Australia and a 49 over chase by NZ. NZ have some very talented batsmen but their bowling is hopeless.
Other way around if anything.
Forgive MentalNuffSaid, he doesn't actually watch NZ games. How anyone can describe bowling as the weaker of our two disciplines is beyond me.

Polo23

International Debutant
I recall Brett Lee had a problem with beamers as well.
Only to Brendon McCullum.

New Zealand coach John Bracewell is far less forgiving. "It's very hard to pick Brett Lee's bouncer. It's even harder to pick his beamer," Bracewell fumed after the Brendon McCullum incident. "It is the fourth time this season that he's beamed one of our guys, and he's been apologetic every time he's done it. That's a lot of apologies."
Cricinfo - Brett Lee on trial

Polo23

International Debutant
Haha, I remember that. Fiery was convinced it was deliberate IIRC.
Well to be fair it is pretty hard to bowl a beamer. Like, if you're a seamer (which I am) and try to bowl a yorker, you never balls it up so much that it ends up head high, knee high maybe, but not head high. Obviously i'm not bowling as quickly as Lee, but still...there is quite a discernible difference in the action.

Plus Rodney Hogg said himself he used to use an intentional beamer to intimidate batsmen and he reckoned Lee was doing the same thing. Funnily enough, Lee's beamer only ever came out when he was getting smashed.