• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't do this to me(fwiw I think you know your cricket). I need to believe he's good for my team's sake.
Haha, err, sorry.

On the plus side, he bowls a decent final over once every ten games. I don't think he was in the England team for any other reason...

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Cricinfo - Franchises strategise for best buys

Cricinfo has got hold of the shortlist for the 6 Feb auction:

Players likely for February 6 auction
Australia: Brad Haddin, Michael Clarke, Nathan Hauritz, Stuart Clark, Brad Hogg, Beau Casson, Jason Krejza and Shaun Tait.

England: Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Stuart Broad, Samit Patel, Shaun Udal, Darren Gough, Ryan Sidebottom, Ravi Bopara, Monty Panesar, Robert Key, James Foster.

South Africa: Gulam Bodi, Charl Langeveldt, JP Duminy, Paul Harris.

Pakistan: Asim Kamal, Yasir Hameed.

New Zealand: Mark Gillespie, Tim Southee, Jesse Ryder, Jeetan Patel.

Bangladesh: Shakib Al Hasan, Ashraful Haque, Mashrafe Mortaza.

Sri Lanka: Thilan Thushara, Nuwan Kulasekara, Jehan Mubarak, Malinga Bandara, Upul Tharanga.

West Indies: Darren Sammy, Andre Fletcher.
Interesting list, and it reports that there are a total of 70 players on the list. Just glancing through, Flintoff, Pietersen, Clarke, Haddin, Clark the obvious stand outs, but of the other names, Shah, Broad, Bopara, Duminy, Shakib all take my fancy.

I'm presuming 'Ashraful Haque' is a typo for Mohammad Ashraful... Ashraful Haque is a seamer who gets a go for Khulna once or twice a year.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
How many gaps are there? About 15ish? I read somewhere that Delhi was full up already now they've signed Nannes.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
what happens if chennai pick freddie and he is unavailable due to injury?do they still have to pay him and can they draft in a replacement?

FBU

International Debutant
I thought they would publish a list of all the players who will be in the auction. Does anyone know who is definitely in it?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
what happens if chennai pick freddie and he is unavailable due to injury?do they still have to pay him and can they draft in a replacement?
I think no to the first. You don't get paid if you're completely unavailable due to injury, that's what happened to Bracken last season. It's one of the things that they were complaining about with the contracts originally, I think that's not usual.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So if you could have 15 players, who would you take?

Australia: Brad Haddin, Michael Clarke, Nathan Hauritz, Stuart Clark, Brad Hogg, Beau Casson, Jason Krejza and Shaun Tait.

England: Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff, Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah, Stuart Broad, Samit Patel, Shaun Udal, Darren Gough, Ryan Sidebottom, Ravi Bopara, Monty Panesar, Robert Key, James Foster.

Sri Lanka: Thilan Thushara, Nuwan Kulasekara, Jehan Mubarak, Malinga Bandara, Upul Tharanga.

I reckon the bowling on offer isn't too great.

Jungle Jumbo

So if you could have 15 players, who would you take?

I reckon the bowling on offer isn't too great.
Haddin, Clarke, Clark, Pietersen, Flintoff, Bopara, Shah, Broad, Duminy, Shakib, Mashrafe... struggling thereafter. Would probably plump for the Aussies, plus Patel, Fletcher and Ghulam Bodi.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm would take Clark, Hogg and Ryder over Udal, Mortaza and Fletcher. Probably Bodi instead of Shah as well (esp given he's more likely to be available for longer)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm would take Clark, Hogg and Ryder over Udal, Mortaza and Fletcher. Probably Bodi instead of Shah as well (esp given he's more likely to be available for longer)
Udal was incredible though last season, taking Middlesex to the title, whereas Hogg hasn't played in over a year. I reckon Rajasthan ought to pick up Udal.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think no to the first. You don't get paid if you're completely unavailable due to injury, that's what happened to Bracken last season. It's one of the things that they were complaining about with the contracts originally, I think that's not usual.
As far as I remember, if you come into it injured, you don't get paid for time missed. If you get injured while playing in the IPL, you'd get paid.

Jungle Jumbo

Udal was incredible though last season, taking Middlesex to the title, whereas Hogg hasn't played in over a year. I reckon Rajasthan ought to pick up Udal.
I reckon the really top-class players of spin - especially the Asians - would massacre Udal. Hogg's a bit different as a wristspinner.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon the really top-class players of spin - especially the Asians - would massacre Udal. Hogg's a bit different as a wristspinner.
Well, Udal did win a test in India a couple of years ago. ;)

If Hogg was still playing, I'd agree. But who knows what state he's in?