• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Massive, massive blow for our prospects in this Series.

I know it's a big call, but if Bracken can play another couple of years, he could end his career as possibly one of our all-time great ODI bowlers. Man, he is good.
Already has achieved that status, easily.

pup11

International Coach
North is a far, far better batsman than Hopes. Whilst Hopes is obviously the better bowler, I'd be more than happy to have North/Hussey bowl ten with the extra strength.

Let's go by averages! Dire. How many state and club matches have you been to this season? Been to Perth to watch him bowl? No? K. If you'd like to argue with averages, Heal is averaging 25 with the ball this season compared to Hauritz's 42.

Again with Tait - he's clearly not match ready and can't field or bat. It wouldn't surprise me if he got injured before the series end. I'd agree that Tait is different and dangerous though.
North is a top order batsman, no good having him down at no.7 and expect him to score runs, and North is nor a tonker.

Gutted to hear about Bracks, as if things weren't bad enough, now the best bowler in the unit is injured too, big blow this ahead of that all crucial 4th ODI, hopefully the rest of the bowlers would do a good enough job.

pup11

International Coach
Btw its kind of annoying and amusing, that lots of people are suddenly realising how good Bracken is, the guy has been awesome ever since his return in the Super series, he has hardly had a rough patch in form since then, and he is truly been the unsung hero of this Australian ODI side, he clearly has been as important as any other star of the current Aussie side, but he hardly has got the kind of props or recognition he deserves for that.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
North is a top order batsman, no good having him down at no.7 and expect him to score runs, and North is nor a tonker.
If you bothered to look at the relevant post, you'd have seen I have him at four and have moved Hussey down to six where he's been so very good. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
South Africa still paying 2.25 even though Bracken is out and they're 2-1 up in the series.

Weird.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Btw its kind of annoying and amusing, that lots of people are suddenly realising how good Bracken is, the guy has been awesome ever since his return in the Super series, he has hardly had a rough patch in form since then, and he is truly been the unsung hero of this Australian ODI side, he clearly has been as important as any other star of the current Aussie side, but he hardly has got the kind of props or recognition he deserves for that.
I have always rated Bracken as an ODI bowler - not many in the history of the game have had his ability to vary the pace and movement of the ball as well as him. He would be in my all time Aus ODI side.

Precambrian

Banned
I have always rated Bracken as an ODI bowler - not many in the history of the game have had his ability to vary the pace and movement of the ball as well as him. He would be in my all time Aus ODI side.
Blah. Blah. Blah. He might be the best Aussie ODI bowler. There have been better ODI bowlers in other teams. And swing bowlers like Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Pollock etc.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Blah. Blah. Blah. He might be the best Aussie ODI bowler. There have been better ODI bowlers in other teams. And swing bowlers like Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Pollock etc.
What's up with you Precamb? You got your panties in a bunch about me saying something about Warner yesterday, and now this over the top response to Stephen. He made a comment in direct response to an (inaccurate) comment by pup that both relevant and perfectly reasonable and you act like he's being a bore and/or talking out of his hat. Need to relax and stop assuming that everytime an Aussie fan makes a comment about an Aussie player - in the Aussie tour thread for pete's sake - that they are being boorish fanboys.

Btw I'd have Bracken in the top 10 Odi bowlers of all time without too much hesitation.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Wasim and Waqar certainly have a case, but I would rate Bracken ahead of both Pollock and Donald. Maybe that's because I'm an Australian, but I don't rate the South Africans as highly as most others. Pollock was quite tight, but still managed a worse average and Strike rate than Bracken. Pollock and Donald also played in more bowler-friendly playing conditions than did Bracken.

Just because a player is fast and can swing the ball doesn't necessarily make them a better ODI bowler than another. Bracken is so versatile you can bring him on at any time and he'll make an impact. He has a fantastic strike rate, average and economy. In this series he's been a class above anyone else playing.

EDIT: I have just realised that your comments are truly praising Bracken. That you have to look at bowlers of the calibre of these four to find anyone who is arguably better, it really proves my point.

This would be Bracken's defining moment in ODI cricket IMO:

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/238200.html

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Well Wasim and Waqar certainly have a case, but I would rate Bracken ahead of both Pollock and Donald. Maybe that's because I'm an Australian, but I don't rate the South Africans as highly as most others. Pollock was quite tight, but still managed a worse average and Strike rate than Bracken. Pollock and Donald also played in more bowler-friendly playing conditions than did Bracken.

Just because a player is fast and can swing the ball doesn't necessarily make them a better ODI bowler than another. Bracken is so versatile you can bring him on at any time and he'll make an impact. He has a fantastic strike rate, average and economy. In this series he's been a class above anyone else playing.

EDIT: I have just realised that your comments are truly praising Bracken. That you have to look at bowlers of the calibre of these four to find anyone who is arguably better, it really proves my point.

This would be Bracken's defining moment in ODI cricket IMO:

Cricinfo - 5th ODI: South Africa v Australia at Johannesburg, Mar 12, 2006
Nah, this game ftr

Cricinfo - Final: Australia v West Indies at Mumbai (BS), Nov 5, 2006

Precambrian

Banned
What's up with you Precamb? You got your panties in a bunch about me saying something about Warner yesterday, and now this over the top response to Stephen. He made a comment in direct response to an (inaccurate) comment by pup that both relevant and perfectly reasonable and you act like he's being a bore and/or talking out of his hat. Need to relax and stop assuming that everytime an Aussie fan makes a comment about an Aussie player - in the Aussie tour thread for pete's sake - that they are being boorish fanboys.

Btw I'd have Bracken in the top 10 Odi bowlers of all time without too much hesitation.
Am sorry if I sounded anti-Aussie. Just couldn't stand such shutbox comments like Bracken being the best EVER ODI bowler etc. A bit on the nerves since Social's defence of Symonds' latest antics. But that's no excuse for me to rant. I apologise.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa still paying 2.25 even though Bracken is out and they're 2-1 up in the series.

Weird.
Yeah the odds are bizarre tstl. Australia pay nothing at 1.57. To put that into context, England are 1.61 to win the series in the West Indies.

pup11

International Coach
Am sorry if I sounded anti-Aussie. Just couldn't stand such shutbox comments like Bracken being the best EVER ODI bowler etc. A bit on the nerves since Social's defence of Symonds' latest antics. But that's no excuse for me to rant. I apologise.
I don't think anybody said Bracken was the best ODI bowler ever, but he surely ranks among the top bracket of the best ODI bowlers ever.