• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't say i've seen an awful lot of Kumar...but he does seem a little slow for test cricket. Though in saying that, Kyle Mills gets a look in...though we don't have the depth of India.
He's no slower than, say, Ryan Sidebottom.

I think it's a myth that slightly slower bowlers can't have test success anyway. I can't think of any medium-fast bowler who averaged below 25 in FC cricket but failed to make the step up.

Polo23

International Debutant
He's no slower than, say, Ryan Sidebottom.

I think it's a myth that slightly slower bowlers can't have test success anyway. I can't think of any medium-fast bowler who averaged below 25 in FC cricket but failed to make the step up.
He bowls 140km/h?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm not sure there aren't disciplinary issues at play in Praveen Kumar's case. Thoroughly deservedly too, if so.

Indian fast bowler Praveen Kumar was involved in a brawl on Wednesday in his hometown Meerut and allegedly thrashed a doctor of Subharti Medical College.

The doctor went to the police station to file a complaint against Praveen but as the matter involved the cricketer, so the police officials called the two parties involved and sorted out the matter.

The incident took place on May 14 (2008) when Praveen along with his friends went to buy a firearm for himself after acquiring an arms license.

But when he was coming out of the shop, which is situated PL Sharma Road, the car of Dr Shantanu reportedly splashed through slush, dirtying the cricketer's clothes.

This angered Praveen and his friend and they got into a scuffle with the doctor. After that Praveen and his friends followed Dr Shantanu to Modern Glass House where the doctor had gone for shopping and bashed him up.

The owner of Modern Glass House, Ashok Kumar, alleged that Praveen and his friends damaged the shop too and broke some glasses.

The matter was sorted out after Superintendent of Police Rakesh Jolly and Senior Superintendent of Police RK Bhardwaj spoke to Dr Shantanu and Praveen.

"Praveen and his friends beat me up and injured me. I did not file a complaint as he is an upcoming cricket star," Dr Shantanu said.

Precambrian

Banned
I'm not sure there aren't disciplinary issues at play in Praveen Kumar's case. Thoroughly deservedly too, if so.

Indian fast bowler Praveen Kumar was involved in a brawl on Wednesday in his hometown Meerut and allegedly thrashed a doctor of Subharti Medical College.

The doctor went to the police station to file a complaint against Praveen but as the matter involved the cricketer, so the police officials called the two parties involved and sorted out the matter.

The incident took place on May 14 (2008) when Praveen along with his friends went to buy a firearm for himself after acquiring an arms license.

But when he was coming out of the shop, which is situated PL Sharma Road, the car of Dr Shantanu reportedly splashed through slush, dirtying the cricketer's clothes.

This angered Praveen and his friend and they got into a scuffle with the doctor. After that Praveen and his friends followed Dr Shantanu to Modern Glass House where the doctor had gone for shopping and bashed him up.

The owner of Modern Glass House, Ashok Kumar, alleged that Praveen and his friends damaged the shop too and broke some glasses.

The matter was sorted out after Superintendent of Police Rakesh Jolly and Senior Superintendent of Police RK Bhardwaj spoke to Dr Shantanu and Praveen.

"Praveen and his friends beat me up and injured me. I did not file a complaint as he is an upcoming cricket star," Dr Shantanu said.
It's worrying because it is happening quite regularly (IIRC he had a reprimand before) often. And the guy is hardly 22.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Ah, wasn't aware. Fair enough but not if they're going to pick him for ODIs anyway.

Precambrian

Banned
Sreesanth is rubbish anyway, like India's Mark Gillespie.

If Sharma is consistently 145km/h+ in the tests i'll buy you a case of beers.
Nope. He is not rubbish when he thinks with his brain rather than his ass. Fortunately a slap or two can cure that as seen by his performances pre and post Bhajji slapotherapy in the IPL.

I have stopped taking alcohol, but perhaps we can enter into an avatar bet. Unfortunately, the term often is vague. I do expect him to clock 145+ more often than he did in the home series.

Can someone please clarify whether he bowled above 145 on a consistent basis in Australia?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ah, wasn't aware. Fair enough but not if they're going to pick him for ODIs anyway.
They're probably picking him for ODI's in light of the remarkable restraint demonstrated by him. The man had a fresh arms license and a new gun in his hands, yet he chose to use his fists to settle the matter. What a guy.

Polo23

International Debutant
Sidebottom's way below 140 Ks most of the time. His stock ball would be around 82mph, which is about 130 Ks. If he bowled any faster he wouldn't be able to hoop the ball so viciously.
Disagree. His stock ball is around 135km/h and he often gets it up to high 130's/low 140's. Shane Bond hooped the ball viciously and he bowled 142km/h+

Polo23

International Debutant
Nope. He is not rubbish when he thinks with his brain rather than his ass. Fortunately a slap or two can cure that as seen by his performances pre and post Bhajji slapotherapy in the IPL.

I have stopped taking alcohol, but perhaps we can enter into an avatar bet. Unfortunately, the term often is vague. I do expect him to clock 145+ more often than he did in the home series.

Can someone please clarify whether he bowled above 145 on a consistent basis in Australia?
Sreesanth is fantastic when he gets it right...unfortunately that is about 3/6 balls. And 3 poor balls an over means you are rubbish. He does have talent though.

Pretty hard to make an avatar bet about the pace of a bowler...unless you record every ball he bowls.

Precambrian

Banned
They're probably picking him for ODI's in light of the remarkable restraint demonstrated by him. The man had a fresh arms license and a new gun in his hands, yet he chose to use his fists to settle the matter. What a guy.
Maybe the License to Kill had not yet approved by the UP administration. :ph34r:

Precambrian

Banned
Sreesanth is fantastic when he gets it right...unfortunately that is about 3/6 balls. And 3 poor balls an over means you are rubbish. He does have talent though.

Pretty hard to make an avatar bet about the pace of a bowler...unless you record every ball he bowls.
He gets away with it as long as he gets wickets off the good balls, which he does, in test cricket. Besides in the last one year or so, he has a bit matured as a bowler and had fairly long stint in the Academy. Though I won't say for sure till he plays a full series.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

I remember reading that. Such a disgrace that he got off lightly being a cricketer. I know its India, but FFS, if it was the other way around I doubt a doctor would have got off lightly because of his profession. And its a profession more noble than being a cricketer.

That said, I rate Praveen and reckon he should be in both ODI and test squads if talent and performance were the only criteria. He's behind Ishant and Zaheer of course, but I'd have him ahead of Munaf, Irfan Pathan and RP Singh (considering his recent poor form), and on the same level as Sreesanth.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Ryan Sidebottom owned NZ when he toured NZ last time...and Zaheer is easily better than him,imo.And he has got 5-fers previously in tests in NZ..so he knows what has to be done.I expect NZ to go down in tests.The ODIs will be a much closer contest though.

Oh,and i think Ishant and Munaf will do more than alright.

Precambrian

Banned
Ryan Sidebottom owned NZ when he toured NZ last time...and Zaheer is easily better than him,imo.And he has got 5-fers previously in tests in NZ..so he knows what has to be done.I expect NZ to go down in tests.The ODIs will be a much closer contest though.

Oh,and i think Ishant and Munaf will do more than alright.
Err.. stats suggest Sidebottom is a better bowler than Khan.

Evermind

International Debutant
I just love that quote. It's so "India".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Zaheer betting than Sidebottom? Keep dreaming.
Haha, Sidebottom has been awesome, but he's hardly McGrath whereby stating Zaheer is better is a sin.

Zaheer has been amazing in 2008, and stats were ridiculously misleading. Did he even play a test overseas? Pretty sure he copped subcontinent decks all year.