• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Road to the 2009 Ashes

inbox24

International Debutant
Aussie team for the 1st Ashes test

1.Simon Katich
2.Phil Jaques
3.Ricky Ponting (c)
4.Mike Hussey
5.Michael Clarke
6.Andrew Symonds
7.Brad Haddin (wk)
8.Mitchell Johnson
9.Brett Lee
10.N.Hauritz
11.S.Clark

Would have McGain ahead of Hauritz, if he shows good form and fitness in the domestic games.
Totally agree with the above with a few exceptions. Bowling attack:

Johnson
Lee
Clark
Siddle

Either Bollinger/Hilfenhaus (depending on how the former goes for the matches leading up) can slot in to Lee's position if he's done for which is perfect as both can swing the ball. Otherwise we can also play McGain/Krejza with the former given preference if fit or in form.

Would also like to dump Symonds as his bowling has gone down the toilet and batting is far too outrageous. Blood Hughes/play Hussey in the middle order if need be and let Johnson be the all rounder.

1.Simon Katich
2.Phil Jaques
3.Ricky Ponting (c)
4.Mike Hussey
5.Michael Clarke
6.Phil Hughes
7.Brad Haddin (wk)
8.Mitchell Johnson
9.Brett Lee
10.Peter Siddle
11.StuartClark

12. Doug Bollinger
13. Ben Hilfenhaus
14. Bryce McGain
15. Jason Krejza/David Hussey

There's your squad of 15 for the test leg of the tour.

Perfecto.

inbox24

International Debutant
everyone is optimistic Lee will get straight back into the test team? I don't think so...
Fair point, but with the way the selectors think, he'll be a shoe in. Just look at Hayden on the Indian tour, injured for like 3 months, didn't play an international game and got straight back into the team with like 1 tour game.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Bell makes runs against the Windies, then obviously he saves his place in the team, but if he doesn't then, other options should be looked at, and the most strong ones would be Shah and Vaughan, both would have to score a few runs for their counties though, in order to present a strong case for their selection.
The thing is, it shouldn't matter whether Bell makes runs in the West Indies. We already know he can make a lot of runs against mediocre bowling when the going's easy. We need to know if he's capable of making runs against Australia, and there's nothing so far to suggest that he can (and a hell of a lot to suggest that he can't). Therefore he should be out of the team indefinitely and only recalled if he outperforms the other candidates in the county championship- and not until after the Ashes.

pup11

International Coach
The thing is, it shouldn't matter whether Bell makes runs in the West Indies. We already know he can make a lot of runs against mediocre bowling when the going's easy. We need to know if he's capable of making runs against Australia, and there's nothing so far to suggest that he can (and a hell of a lot to suggest that he can't). Therefore he should be out of the team indefinitely and only recalled if he outperforms the other candidates in the county championship- and not until after the Ashes.
I was saying what was going to happen, rather than what should happen, if it was upto me there is no way i would have Ian Bell in the English side ( though on second thoughts, as an Aussie fan, i won't really mind him playing through the Ashes series), we all know if Bell succeeds in making runs against the West Indies, then he surely he won't be dropped.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
everyone is optimistic Lee will get straight back into the test team? I don't think so...
I agree.

I don't want a bowler like Lee struggling to find rhythm, which is an all to familiar story with Lee.

He averages over 33 overseas, and has performed badly in England previously.

I don't think his bowling suits the conditions over there at all and it's not as though Australia need another bowler purely due to his pace, as Johnson and Siddle are already quick.

pup11

International Coach
Will depend also on how the understudies perform in SA.
It also depends on what sort of a comeback Lee makes, he would only have a chance to play in the IPL and World T20 before teh Ashes, and that tbh isn't ideal preparation for a test series of this magnitude, but still if Lee can regain his fitness and rhythm through those T20 games, then it would take really good performances from Siddle in the lead-up to the Ashes to keep Lee out of the side.

1.Simon Katich
2.Phil Jaques
3.Ricky Ponting (c)
4.Mike Hussey
5.Michael Clarke
6.Phil Hughes
7.Brad Haddin (wk)
8.Mitchell Johnson
9.Brett Lee
10.Peter Siddle
11.StuartClark

12. Doug Bollinger
13. Ben Hilfenhaus
14. Bryce McGain
15. Jason Krejza/David Hussey

There's your squad of 15 for the test leg of the tour.

Perfecto.
It would be madness to ask Hughes to bat at 6, he is an opening batsman and that's where he should bat, if the opportunity arises.

Playing with a four man pace attack in England is going to be idiotic too, because the English pitches are pretty likely to be the same as the last time around' Ashes, rough, abrasive and dry, with minimal assistance for quick bowlers, so England would be therefore again banking upon getting reverse swing going like they did last time around, though i wonder who would be assigned with the duty of popping in all those mints this time around....:ph34r:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
England

1) Strauss
2) Cook
3) Pietersen
4) Shah
5) Collingwood
6) NFI*
7) Flintoff
8) Swann
9) Anderson
10) Sidebottom
11) Panesar

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
WI tour will make things clearer...it is looking like it might end up being a choice between Broad/Panesar and Swann/Anderson or Harmison.

Anyway congrats to Jimmy on the birth of his first child
I think Anderson is as much of a cert as he could be...it's between Harmison and Broad IMO

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyway congrats to Jimmy on the birth of his first child
Smith every inch the proud father too. :ph34r:

Suspect the Windies will play Monty into our team if he's picked for the first test over there, given their (Chanders excepted, obv) comic inabililty to play SLA. That'll probably mean Sid, Harmison or Jimmy A to make way for Broad or we'll be play Sidearse at 8.

Strauss*
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior+
Broad
Sidebottom
Harmison
Panesar

is my guess, although not necessarily who I'd pick.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Smith every inch the proud father too. :ph34r:

Suspect the Windies will play Monty into our team if he's picked for the first test over there, given their (Chanders excepted, obv) comic inabililty to play SLA. That'll probably mean Sid, Harmison or Jimmy A to make way for Broad or we'll be play Sidearse at 8.

Strauss*
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior+
Broad
Sidebottom
Harmison
Panesar

is my guess, although not necessarily who I'd pick.

Looks ok. Like you said, maybe not what Id pick but looks realistic.

Would be fun to give Swann the 8 spot and let him and Monty duke it out for the 2nd Test, especially as WI have a few quality left handers and Broad is pretty ordinary.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
I personally can't wait for this ashes series. I think this will be the first time in my lifetime that the poms can actually claim an advantage.

Bell will be playing for his career if he fails again I think there is a lot of talent in ENgland around now that could pressure him for that spot.

Pietersen will be looking to make a point after losing the captaincy. Strauss has a good solid English head on his shoulders (regardless of his background) and Cook is developing into a world class opener (especially in English conditions)

Collingwood hasn't got long in his career and I think he will want this a good start to his swan song.

The bowling worries me a tad but Sidebottom to me is a far superior left armed pace bowler that Johnson.. and he is fit. Freddy is a legend and Panesar a better spin option than anything I've seen from the Aussies lately.

Not keen on Jimmy Anderson but I've seen him wreck good sides before so if Harmison actually feels like turning up and bwoling to his potential then Sidebottom, Flintoff, Harmison & Panesar should be quite enough to pulverize this weak Australian batting line up.

That is unless Simon Jones is fit & firing. Then it really will be carnage.

Nope I just hope that the odds get worse for the poms because I think the bookies know that this one is closer than anyone has seen for a while. In 2005 I made an absolute packet. This time the poms still have a good side and the Aussies a woeful fun.

So go the poms. Can't wait. Shame that everyone knows that the Aussies aren't number one in the world anymore (regardless of the official rankings).. it will just take the edge off the poms victory somewhat.

But still looking forward to Ricky's demise.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looks ok. Like you said, maybe not what Id pick but looks realistic.

Would be fun to give Swann the 8 spot and let him and Monty duke it out for the 2nd Test, especially as WI have a few quality left handers and Broad is pretty ordinary.
Swann may conceivably be one of the losers from the change of captain. KP seemed to prefer him to Panesar and you could see Swann replacing Monty as our one spinner for the series in the Caribbean. Strauss, otoh, captained Panesar when he did well against Pakistan in 2006, and you could see that factor keeping him in the side now.

Evermind

International Debutant
Swann may conceivably be one of the losers from the change of captain. KP seemed to prefer him to Panesar and you could see Swann replacing Monty as our one spinner for the series in the Caribbean. Strauss, otoh, captained Panesar when he did well against Pakistan in 2006, and you could see that factor keeping him in the side now.
I don't think Swann's all that brilliant - not any better than Panesar. Let's see how he fares 15 matches down the line - it's a lot easier when you start out and the batsmen haven't figured you out at all.

Woodster

International Captain
The Swann vs Panesar debate will continue to rage until one of them strings together a few consistent Tests. I am impressed by Swann of late and think he will really push Panesar for the sole spinners spot. Panesar probably just holds the edge with his past performances, but he really must make some sizeable contributions in the Caribbean, whether that is as an attacking option or an Ashley Giles type display. I believe Panesar is at his best when attacking, and should be more willing to offer a bit of flight in the face of some positive batting.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Swann's all that brilliant - not any better than Panesar. Let's see how he fares 15 matches down the line - it's a lot easier when you start out and the batsmen haven't figured you out at all.
There's not that much to figure out about Swann, he's just a good quality off-spinner. Panesar is a bit more unique in that he can bowl flat and still turn the ball a great deal when conditions suit. As a spinner he's probably better than Swann, but when you consider the whole package it's not so clear-cut.