• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

nibbs

International Captain
time to realize that Elliott is actualy a good player methinks.

Seriously, Elliott can be put in with O'Brien as a guy who gets unfairly abused. What does he have to do, average 100 with the bat and 5 with the ball?
isn't he about 29? come on, lets turn to our youth. i'm thinking a player like roneel hira. someone i played in the same side in form 1/2 grade, sharing an 80 something run stand with on occasion. just noting.

i cannot see how the new zealand has benefited from elliot's being on the team. get him out of there

Flem274*

123/5
isn't he about 29? come on, lets turn to our youth. i'm thinking a player like roneel hira. someone i played in the same side in form 1/2 grade, sharing an 80 something run stand with on occasion. just noting.

i cannot see how the new zealand has benefited from elliot's being on the team. get him out of there
You haven't watched many ODIs then.

If you think Elliott at 29 is too old then should we get rid of Vettori, Oram, McCullum, O'Brien, Martin, McIntosh and Mills as well? Come on, you haven't given any decent reasons yet.

nibbs

International Captain
Elliott is awesome.

Having said that, I hope he never plays another Test.
listen, ed. i know we go way back. to feb 2004, to be precise. and during our friendship, i've bailed you out on countless occasions. but have you crossed the line with that opening comment? i mean, come on ed. elliott? more like smelliott lol

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
- I dont think Elliot is a bad player, but I don't think he really fits into the side if Oram is playing. If Oram bats 7 and McCullum opens then you would have Vettori , Southee, Mills, and either patel or another main seam bowler, after Oram in the batting lineup, meaning Oram would be the fifth bowler. With Ryder in the side as the sixth, I really dont think you would need another bowler.

Which basically means it comes down to who is the better batsman and i think Broom or Flynn would be better batsmen than Elliot. Someone keeps saying he averages 65 or something but really he has only had 4 innings, for a couple of twenties, a thirty and a 50. pretty good, but not mind blowing.

- There is a lot of talk about Flynn being a test player and so on, but I remember him being chosen initially as someone who had a good one day record, (av=around 30, sr=90) and a pretty average first class record. I think he is a definite odi player but like everyone else I believe he should bat at 3 or even 4 with instructions to just bat until the end of the innings.

- The best thing about this Guptill guy is that NZ supporters are now debating who to leave out of the top order, and what top order player should drop down to the middle order..... that doesn't happen very often.

- I really hope Guptill is chosen for the test matches. I imagine he would be. Im becoming a bit hopeful that NZ might have finally found a genuine opener. I know he was dropped 3 times blah blah but after he settled down he seemed to play sensibly and with skill. That is more important imo than the score. (for nz cricket's future).

- Test batting lineup of the future.

Guptill
Flynn
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson

Athlai

Not Terrible
listen, ed. i know we go way back. to feb 2004, to be precise. and during our friendship, i've bailed you out on countless occasions. but have you crossed the line with that opening comment? i mean, come on ed. elliott? more like smelliott lol
Have to agree with the almighty nibbs.

Elliot he's an okay back up but shouldn't be in any first XI"s

Polo23

International Debutant
Have to agree with the almighty nibbs.

Elliot he's an okay back up but shouldn't be in any first XI"s
Why? In the games he has played he has done absolutely nothing wrong, and A LOT right. In fact, I remember him bailing us out in England a couple of times. I'm not saying he is necessarily a great player, but he has more than taken the opportunities he has been given, and because of that he should be given a fair shot in the side, just like any other player would.

A lot of people seem to be being incredibly unfair to Elliott, and not recognising the superb job he has done with the chances he has been given.

sammy2

Banned
I've posted before about trolling, in this very thread and it looks like we're going to have to go through it again. We're not going to have a situation were good posters leave because some trolls want to get a kick out of baiting their supporters. If it continues, people will get banned, it's that simple. A particular shout out goes to sammy2 and MendisNuffSaid, do it again and you're gone.
WTF ?

Are you serious ?

So pro WI views is trolling ?

My advice for you is stop playing mother for these members, I don't see them complaining.

Whats the point of a forum where everyone agrees ?

pasag

RTDAS
WTF ?

Are you serious ?

So pro WI views is trolling ?

My advice for you is stop playing mother for these members, I don't see them complaining.

Whats the point of a forum where everyone agrees ?
You can be pro-WI, you can be critical of NZ. However there is a line you cross when you start baiting supporters of the other team for a reaction. If you cross that line again you'll be banned, simple as.

sammy2

Banned
You can be pro-WI, you can be critical of NZ. However there is a line you cross when you start baiting supporters of the other team for a reaction. If you cross that line again you'll be banned, simple as.
Give an example of a bait post.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Surely thats slightly ott, the guy may be wrong but all he does is say that NZ have a bunch of medium pacers who he will nerver like, may be blunt but not offensive just annoying to the NZ dudes.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why? In the games he has played he has done absolutely nothing wrong, and A LOT right. In fact, I remember him bailing us out in England a couple of times. I'm not saying he is necessarily a great player, but he has more than taken the opportunities he has been given, and because of that he should be given a fair shot in the side, just like any other player would.

A lot of people seem to be being incredibly unfair to Elliott, and not recognising the superb job he has done with the chances he has been given.
Yes the guy has succeeded thus far and has done almost all that you could ask him to do. But is he a good enough player to be a constant in the team? No IMO.
He would end up averaging high 30's with the ball and low 20's with the bat if he was given a long career in the Kiwi team. A guy who is handy enough in either department to do the job for New Zealand but more of a jack of all trades and master of none type player.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Yes the guy has succeeded thus far and has done almost all that you could ask him to do. But is he a good enough player to be a constant in the team? No IMO.
He would end up averaging high 30's with the ball and low 20's with the bat if he was given a long career in the Kiwi team. A guy who is handy enough in either department to do the job for New Zealand but more of a jack of all trades and master of none type player.
Yeah Elliot's not really an all rounder, more a bits and part player, can kinda bat and can kinda bowl. Though I suppose he wouldn't be a bad fixture in your line up if you were playing the Aussies or India, simply because if your top and middle order fail he can do a job, in saving the innings as it doesn't require scoring with any real pace, just as he did against England. Though against the Windies he's not likely to be in that position so he isn't really needed, as a WI fan I would rather see Elliot in the line up ahead of someone like Broom as Elliot can't really hurt us with anything.

Flem274*

123/5
Elliott is a great asset. Six bowlers, seven batsmen in the team if we use both allrounders. Even if his stats fall to an average of say, 32 with bat and ball respectively the versatility and lower order batting will be a huge asset.

And there's no denying that Orams bowling time is sadly numbered, use both whilst we can.