• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
LOL tony cozier had to remind the NZ commentator he was dropped 3 times before he reached 30...lol. Especially by ramdin, easy catch. He wasn't impressive at all, he doesn't deserve the hundred he got.
There was only one straight forward chance and after that 30 he really did look impressive so stop talking him downjust because the new guys the Windies bring in are ****house.

James

Cricket Web Owner
yea definately, I thought he showed enough accuracy in his test matches to prove his worth for ODI's.
You seen his bowling performances for Wellington recently? Not good enough to force his way in yet IMO.

I'd go for another young up and coming player. Although, what's happened to Mason actually?

sammy2

Banned
Obrien got hit all over the place like any other bowler, I think that new guy who opened the bowling is prolly the best I have zeen in NZ so far, I don't have any respect for a bowling attack thats filled with medium pacers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You seen his bowling performances for Wellington recently? Not good enough to force his way in yet IMO.

I'd go for another young up and coming player. Although, what's happened to Mason actually?
Yeah but O'Brien is quite quick, accurate and while he hasn't taken a bagful of wickets he's been quite economical and is already an establish member in the NZ squad. Let the youngsters develop a little more and then we can blood them around an established Southee and Mills. Southee's still a bit green at the moment to bring in more young talent.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Obrien got hit all over the place like any other bowler, I think that new guy who opened the bowling is prolly the best I have zeen in NZ so far, I don't have any respect for a bowling attack thats filled with medium pacers.
just please stop bagging nz cricket, just because WI have quick guys with no control.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I was having a listen to the Daniel Vettori post match audio and he confirmed that Ryder will open in Napier...Guptill will drop to three. Sinclair back to State Shield.

I'm not sure who the BC's could drop Mark Gillespie for....what's happened to someone like Bradley Scott? James McMillan?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I was having a listen to the Daniel Vettori post match audio and he confirmed that Ryder will open in Napier...Guptill will drop to three. Sinclair back to State Shield.

I'm not sure who the BC's could drop Mark Gillespie for....what's happened to someone like Bradley Scott? James McMillan?
It'll be Jeets back in for Napier probably. Yet the next best seamer question is a very interesting one.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Ewen Thompson might go alright in the 50-over game. Better than Gillespie at least.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would be against picking someone like Trent Boult..they're already trying to blood Southee. Two 19 year olds would be too extreme. Not to mention they're already trying to do that with a couple of the batsmen.

It needs to be someone like Broom who's played 7 years of FC cricket but is only around 25-26.

I've been hearing this guy McLenaghan from C.D is pretty quick, but he's only been a more consistent starter this year.
Personally i'd like to see Bradley Scott in there as he's been around for awhile and looks fairly decent.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Switch Flynn for Ryder and boot Elliot when Oram comes back and thats my team.

I maintain that Elliot is a great back-up player a guy who can cover a real batsman

8-) Dire call IMO.

I'm sure the WI team would have liked an Elliot in Wellington. They made a bad call leaving Nash out of their middle order for that game.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Mason's been injured. Definitely the next best seamer available but for the fact that he's not available.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
He's not going to man up to his bet, Bahnz. He's an utterly spineless little weasel.
utterly spineless little weasel seems slightly OTT, you don't really know the guy, just mad at him for expressing views that don't correspond with your kiwi views despite the inaccuracy of Sammy's opinions he has a slight point, regarding the fact that the Windies when they get it right, which granted isn't all that often have a hell of a lot more potential than the Kiwi's attack, also why didn't Southee open bowling today... seems quite silly to put the best swinger of the ball not to open when the ball is swinging.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
utterly spineless little weasel seems slightly OTT, you don't really know the guy, just mad at him for expressing views that don't correspond with your kiwi views despite the inaccuracy of Sammy's opinions he has a slight point, regarding the fact that the Windies when they get it right, which granted isn't all that often have a hell of a lot more potential than the Kiwi's attack, also why didn't Southee open bowling today... seems quite silly to put the best swinger of the ball not to open when the ball is swinging.
It's not his opinions, but the way he presents them!

Regarding potential, if you can't make things go right then do you really have potential?

Jigga988

State 12th Man
It's not his opinions, but the way he presents them!

Regarding potential, if you can't make things go right then do you really have potential?
But we can, even in that OD game the figures wern't the best, but McCullum and Guptill could've both gone out early and then that would have re-invigorated the Windies side and with Sinclair being as rubbish as he is on the international stage we could've had you three down withing the first 6 or 7 overs, and anything could've happened that didn't happen though due to some poor fielding and a lack of luck but there was a fine line there.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
But we can, even in that OD game the figures wern't the best, but McCullum and Guptill could've both gone out early and then that would have re-invigorated the Windies side and with Sinclair being as rubbish as he is on the international stage we could've had you three down withing the first 6 or 7 overs, and anything could've happened that didn't happen though due to some poor fielding and a lack of luck but there was a fine line there.
What if this, what if that?
You say "could've", but the fact of the matter is that you didn't.

If Guptil gets out early, whos to say that things will go the same? Maybe one of the other player steps up, maybe McCullum scores 200?

You see, what we can do with what ifs?
Using that to try and explain potential is crazy logic. You can say the same thing about every side.

You talk about luck and dropped catches but, last time I looked, catching was something you could do about, and luck goes both ways, you have to take your chances and make your own luck.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
What if this, what if that?
You say "could've", but the fact of the matter is that you didn't.

If Guptil gets out early, whos to say that things will go the same? Maybe one of the other player steps up, maybe McCullum scores 200?

You see, what we can do with what ifs?
Using that to try and explain potential is crazy logic. You can say the same thing about every side.

You talk about luck and dropped catches but, last time I looked, catching was something you could do about, and luck goes both ways, you have to take your chances and make your own luck.
I was under the impression that we were talking about the strength of the bowling attack which atm is quite even as opposed to the fielding which atm is no where near even. Anyway, suppose a lot of could've's dont make an argument but it is plain to see that both Edwards and Taylor have quite limitless potential and Miller definitely isn't the worst spinner in the game.