• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand team 1998 - 2008

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ODI
1 N. Astle
2 B. McCullum
3 S. Fleming
4 S. Styris
5 R. Twose
6 C. Cairns
7 J. Oram
8 C. Harris
9 D. Vettori
10 K. Mills
11 S. Bond

World class team IMO, with a stack of bowling options available. Harris to move up to 6 if some early wickets fall.
It'd be
McCullum
Astle
TBH. Astle hated taking first strike.

:partytime

Also, much-improved bowler and useful batsman though Kyle Mills is, his bowling pales in comparison to Allott's and Nash's, and Nash's batting isn't much if any worse. And Taylor > Styris already, never mind what he'll be in 10 years' time, IMO.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
It'd be
McCullum
Astle
TBH. Astle hated taking first strike.

:partytime:

Also, much-improved bowler and useful batsman though Kyle Mills is, his bowling pales in comparison to Allott's and Nash's, and Nash's batting isn't much if any worse. And Taylor > Styris already, never mind what he'll be in 10 years' time, IMO.
McCullum hates it more if you knew much about him opening...

Beleg

International Regular
astle
mcmillan
wose
styris
fleming
cairns
mccullum
harris
vettori
allott
bond

probably the weakest of all the XIs barring bangers and zims.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
I find it outstanding that many of you have failed to pick Sinclair in your test sides. Along with Fleming, Astle and Vettori he is an automatic selection in mine.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I find it outstanding that many of you have failed to pick Sinclair in your test sides. Along with Fleming, Astle and Vettori he is an automatic selection in mine.
Why? While he has the talent he has shown time and time again he just doesn't have what it takes to play at the highest level.

Athlai

Not Terrible
astle
mcmillan
wose
styris
fleming
cairns
mccullum
harris
vettori
allott
bond

WTF? This is after 1998 not all time otherwise a few names like Hadlee and Crowe would be turning up. Jeez

Athlai

Not Terrible
All time would be:

GM Turner
NJ Astle
(SP Fleming though for arguments sake) LRPL Taylor
MD Crowe (c)
RG Twose
CL Cairns
BB McCullum (wk)
Sir RJ Hadlee
DL Vettori
SE Bond
EJ Chatfield/GI Allott/C Pringle/KD Mills

Natman20

International Debutant
hmmmm. Franklin appears to be on a lot of ODI lists which is quite hard to understand. He's hardly that good at taking wickets at ODI level and generally was quite expensive when he played for us before the injury. Definately not one of our top ODI players in the last 10 years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
hmmmm. Franklin appears to be on a lot of ODI lists which is quite hard to understand. He's hardly that good at taking wickets at ODI level and generally was quite expensive when he played for us before the injury. Definately not one of our top ODI players in the last 10 years.
Yeah I'm a massive fan of the guy but wouldn't have him near my 98-08 ODI side.

Days of Grace

International Captain
It'd be

Nash's ODI record was ordinary, if you care to look it up.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah the whole pales in comparison bit is pretty rich when you consider that Nash averaged 40 with the ball and has a higher overall economy in what Richard has argued is time and time again a harder period to bat in.

I mean I can see the argument where Nash is a better batsman than Mills or even a better Test bowler but Mills is a far far more accomplished limited overs bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
astle
mcmillan
wose
styris
fleming
cairns
mccullum
harris
vettori
allott
bond

And we're going to take the word of someone who can't even spell Twose.

Astle
McCullum
Fleming
Twose
Styris
Cairns
Oram
Harris
Vettori
Mills
Bond

For ODIs. A few stiff to miss out but thats how it goes.

Tests:

Richardson
Hornet
Fleming
Styris
Astle
Oram
Cairns
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Bond

Nash only really had one good 5fer against England and did sweet **** all against Aussie if I remember rightly. Mills, Ryder, Taylor and co. haven't played enough games yet.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
And we're going to take the word of someone who can't even spell Twose.
spelling nazi much? and the bolded part makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

WTF? This is after 1998 not all time otherwise a few names like Hadlee and Crowe would be turning up. Jeez
mebbe you should have read that statement in the context of this thread?

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
alltime vs. 98-08 much?
there's been a recent spate of threads covering 98-08 xis from various test cricket nations - my comment compared the xi in questions with the ones compiled in 'em - thought it would be pretty obvious from the people selected??? apparantly not

Athlai

Not Terrible
there's been a recent spate of threads covering 98-08 xis from various test cricket nations - my comment compared the xi in questions with the ones compiled in 'em - thought it would be pretty obvious from the people selected??? apparantly not
Well as NZ have been one of the most successful ODI nations in that time then yes I find it quite odd.

Beleg

International Regular
Well as NZ have been one of the most successful ODI nations in that time then yes I find it quite odd.
a couple of points

a) the xi never played together - kiwi teams have been successful because they are generally more than the sum of their parts. however, selecting a best xi focuses on choosing the best players and hoping they'd jell together. comparing across the board, black caps dont stand out in terms of their overall quality simply because individually, their records do not compare favourably with the very best from other nations. it's actually an indictment of the team spirit as well as the professionalism inherent in the kiwi teams over the years that they have managed to stay competitive and a vindication of the fact that talent isn't the be all and end all.

b) success in odis doesn't correlate to success in tests. the black caps (limited) success is based on playing to their strengths - unlike, say, australia, pakistan or south africa (during the 90's), one doesn't expect them to beat teams consistently in all sorts of conditions and that's because, looking at the performances of the players individually, they just don't inspire the same faith your waughs and your akrams and your pietersens and your chanderpauls do.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
1/ M Richardson
2/ J Cox
3/ S Fleming*
4/ N Astle
5/ C McMillan
6/ C Cairns
7/ B McCullum+
8/ D Nash
9/ D Vettori
10/ J Franklin
11/ S Bond

Gave you guys Jamie Cox as the 2nd opener. Tasmania/NZ same, same, just a bit different.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah the whole pales in comparison bit is pretty rich when you consider that Nash averaged 40 with the ball and has a higher overall economy in what Richard has argued is time and time again a harder period to bat in.

I mean I can see the argument where Nash is a better batsman than Mills or even a better Test bowler but Mills is a far far more accomplished limited overs bowler.
I'm well aware of Nash's record, and it's disappointing. Nonetheless, I'm more than confident it'd have improved given the chance. For me he was much the more skilled bowler than Mills, and I've never really rated Mills that highly despite, as I say, the fact he's an improved performer in recent times.