• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boycott, does he have something against windies players ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wait wait wait. He had Yousuf in there? Oh dear.
Yeah, Mohammad Yousuf isn't a patch on either Lara or Chanderpaul IMO.

Either way, Boycott is one of the least biased commentators you'll come accross, especially for a Yorkshireman. He's as prone to error as anyone else, but no, he doesn't have anything against West Indies players and I'd imagine anyone who knows very much about him would realise that.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Generally speaking I think cricket fans are massively biased towards the West Indies
I pretty much agree with this. They are generally the recipients of more good will and positive thought than most others. Especially by the neutrals.

I honestly think their players are often judged more favourably than similar others from elsewhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why would that be? Purely because of the popularity of the laid-back style of life in the Carib?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Over the years they've tended to produce cricket that is easy to feel affectionate towards when it succeeds - shot making batsmen who attack the game, genuinely fast bowlers, etc.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah and they have such a romantic link to the history of cricket in a very similar way that Brazil do for Football.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Generally speaking I think cricket fans are massively biased towards the West Indies
I pretty much agree with this. They are generally the recipients of more good will and positive thought than most others. Especially by the neutrals.

I honestly think their players are often judged more favourably than similar others from elsewhere.
Yeah and they have such a romantic link to the history of cricket in a very similar way that Brazil do for Football.
Agree with this. Nowadays everyone wants so much to see a West Indian revival (and i include myself here) that they often see potential that isn't there- or at least, not to the extent that we'd like to think.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Count me in the WI love, but i would love them so much more if they picked Dave Mohammed. In fact if Dave Mohammed gets to play in the series in the Carribean against England, im going to go out and by a WI cricket shirt with his name on the back.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah, Mohammad Yousuf isn't a patch on either Lara or Chanderpaul IMO.

Either way, Boycott is one of the least biased commentators you'll come accross, especially for a Yorkshireman. He's as prone to error as anyone else, but no, he doesn't have anything against West Indies players and I'd imagine anyone who knows very much about him would realise that.
Its debatable whether Lara (03-07) is > Yousuf (03-07), and I would take Yousuf anyday over Chander its only from period June 07 onwards where one can say that Chanderpaul has a stronger case then Yousuf.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
For the record, what was the full team/squad he selected?
Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kallis
Pietersen
(Yousuf)
(Lara)
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Warne
Murali
Mcgrath
Ntini
Problem 3rd Seamer (Gillespie/Lee)

Those in brackets were mentioned but didn't make it

PhoenixFire

International Coach
He is a big asshole, how can anyone making a world 11 from 03 leave out two of the greatest players to play cricket ? Itz just insulting.
8-)

Fully deserved IMO. Boycott is (very likely) to know much more than you ever will about cricket, so you are making yourself look a tad silly IMO.

krkode

State Captain
I seriously doubt Boycott had statsguru open and seriously punched in players and looked up stats to come up with his best XI of the last 5 years.

He probably went for a "gut feel" team and when you do that, you tend to remember 1) the people who stick out in your mind and/or 2) the people who actually made a difference in their country's recent fortunes as far as cricketing success goes and 3) the people who played the most cricket. As great as Chanderpaul has been, WI has been utterly dismal for the last 5 years. I can see why he passed him over. One might argue why there's no mention of Sangakarra or Jayawardene? Both fantastic batsmen - again, same gut feel response - they just didn't stick out in his mind probably either because SL doesn't play that much cricket, or maybe Boycott just doesn't follow SL cricket that much.

The point of asking Geoff Boycott the question was to find out who Geoff Boycott thought was the best team of the past 5 years, not what Statsguru thought was the best team of the past 5 years.

And frankly, as good a few years as Chanderpaul has been having, I don't think it's reasonable to claim he deserves a spot in the middle order ahead of Ponting, Tendulkar, Kallis or Pietersen. I don't care what their averages have been for the past 3.5 years or past 2.7 years - when you're talking about the greatest batsmen from this era 10, 15, 20 years from now, these are the names you will probably hear and these are the names that probably came to Boycott's head.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kallis
Pietersen
(Yousuf)
(Lara)
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Warne
Murali
Mcgrath
Ntini
Problem 3rd Seamer (Gillespie/Lee)

?

Those in brackets were mentioned but didn't make it
Wait wait how did Gilchrist, Mcgrath, and Warne get in and not Lara? All 3 retired around the same time didnt they?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its debatable whether Lara (03-07) is > Yousuf (03-07), and I would take Yousuf anyday over Chander its only from period June 07 onwards where one can say that Chanderpaul has a stronger case then Yousuf.
The only reason anyone remotely considers Mohammad Yousuf for anything other than Mediocre Weak Attack Bully XI is his luck-laden Dec'05-Nov'06 where he was dropped almost every innings (sometimes multiple times) he came to the crease.

There's batsmen with career averages of 45 who I'd rate over Yousuf without a moment's hesitation.

Last edited:

Pothas

It is a fair point but there is an awful lot less competition for places, with the lack of high class fast bowlers this decade Mcgrath walks into the side and if you are willing to play two spinners so does Warne.
Similalry if you want a Keeper at number 7 then Gilchrist is an automatic selection.
Lara on the other hand faces an awful lot of competition with there being so many batsmen averaging over 50 in this period.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually if the timescale was 2003 to 2008, Sangakkara would trump Gilchrist every single time as far as wicketkeeper-batsmen are concerned.

Pothas

Yeah he is a better batsman but as a keeper-batman then there is little in it. Sangakkara is a top order player which I think makes it very hard to compare them. If you are picking a classic wicketkeeper, someone who bats at number 7 then Gilchrist wins be default. Sangakkara has a good case for being included as a batsman