• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

susudear

Banned
Woot?

Wasn't dodgy at all. Look at the rear angle, was a clean take and a reasonable decision. But wait, it's Australia, so have a bit of a whinge anyway.

That LBW call though...
You must be kidding.

I did not say it was a terrible call.

But the front angle + the freeze frame supplied by Inbox showed there was more of a chance that the ball might have hit the ground.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
As was Hussey being caught off the helmet

These umpires suffer from temporary blindness
If only someone could come up with a mechanism whereby the players could refer such blatant mistakes to the third umpire to correct...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can someone explain to me how Harris and Steyn rescued the Saffies at the MCG?

Both are absolutely hopeless with the bat and that performance must rank as one of the greatest flukes/worst bowling performances ever

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
You must be kidding.

I did not say it was a terrible call.

But the front angle + the freeze frame supplied by Inbox showed there was more of a chance that the ball might have hit the ground.
Yes, that's the way cameras work. The ball looks closer to the ground than it really is, as shown from the rear angle. You can see daylight between his fingers and the ground ffs.

inbox24

International Debutant
Call me outrageous but this game is a deadset draw, de Villiers with his brown wallet will still be there at the end.

susudear

Banned
Bowling

Can someone explain to me how Harris and Steyn rescued the Saffies at the MCG?

Both are absolutely hopeless with the bat and that performance must rank as one of the greatest flukes/worst bowling performances ever
More of worst bowling imho.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon Ponting just needs to line the fielders up either side of the wicket and bowl at Harris' body/gloves.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
You want to clear up obvious errors but IMHO if everytime a marginal call is made you have to spend several minutes looking at various angles etc it would interrupt and slow down the game too much.

Maybe have 2 (or 3) umps watching video footage. (3rd ump and match ref are already there) They have 3 options out, undecided and not-out. They have 5 seconds to make a call, cause if your taking longer longer then that it obviously isn't an obvious error.

No referalls, no endless replays, no time wasting. Only the on feild umps get to see the results and only overturns if all off-feilds umps have given same decision.

Something like that should get rid of absolute shocking decisons but not interrupt the flow of the game or hopefully undermine the umps (like I fear referals might.) Your not going to remove every contentious call but I don't think it is possible to ever decide every decision unanimously (just to many grey areas) and not everybody is going to agree (sometimes on what appears to me as clear cut decisions) Some contentious calls after all do give us all something to talk (whine) about. (And the losers some reason to often think the loss was unjustified.)

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's really not that cloudy here. I doubt we'll get rain any time soon. An hour or so at least.

New ball after tea will hopefully do the trick.

Redbacks

International Captain
Punter has shown alot of faith in Bollinger in this test, for a first gamer he has been given first crack alot of the time and bowled ok i think. A few wayward deliveries here and there.

Redbacks

International Captain
Ian Healy will be talking up how luck would have seen Australia win the series now:dry:
Please let him go channel 9, or make him promise to call the game on it's merits occasionally!