• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Playing for a draw simply does not work (well not often anyway). Look at England in Adelaide 2006, they tried to bat out a day and they quite rightly lost.

If South Africa bat for a draw (or their sole purpose), the series will end 2-1 IMO.
Mickey Arthur has said the first priority is to save the game and then reevaluate the situation at tea.

I don’t think a positive result for South Africa is possible, the required run-rate is already around 3.5 and after Neil Mac and Amla get themselves back in again tomorrow it will be up at around fours and if they get a sniff, Ponting can just ask Johnson to bowl ever further away from off-stump with a seven two field.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Mickey Arthur has said the first priority is to save the game and then reevaluate the situation at tea.

I don’t think a positive for South Africa is possible, the required run-rate is already around 3.5 and after Neil Mac and Amla get themselves back in again tomorrow it will be up at around fours and if they get a sniff, Ponting can just ask Johnson to bowl ever further away from off-stump with a seven two field.
Agreed. MacKenzie scoring at 4 an over is doubtful especially with his current form this tour. I think SA will shut up shop and bat for the draw. The pitch is still playing well so it's not out of the question.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Arthur was trying to kid Ponting into starting with attacking fields so that SA could score at 3.5 an over for an hour or so without taking unnecessary risks.

From SA's viewpoint, there seems no point in playing for the draw though. Wouldn't Aus still be number 1 if the series only won 2-0? They might as well go for a bit of glory.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed. MacKenzie scoring at 4 an over is doubtful especially with his current form this tour. I think SA will shut up shop and bat for the draw. The pitch is still playing well so it's not out of the question.
Don't laugh but his being kept on for the 20/20 and ODI series. The one series where Neil Mac can't hit the ball of the square and his back in the limited overs reckoning. :sleep:

It’s been reported one of the reasons Mac has lost all confidence was his first innings shot at Perth, apparently according to the SuperSport guys he was so embarrassed that he kept apologising for what he did and still hasn’t got fully over it.

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Funny thing is I said the same thing to my more jingoistic mates who seemed to think that being Australian guaranteed that you were a better cricketer than anyone from anywhere else in the world.. they poo pooed the whole idea that South Africa could compete here.. India was blamed on pitches.. England was blamed on lollies.. I go for cricket not countries.

And I am so happy to see that the ogre of the arrogant Australian tool cricketer is well and truly over and normal cricket service can continue.

I just hope that Australia do get smashed 3-0 tomorrow so the whole idea that this is just a blip can be quashed and people will open their eyes up and realise that other countries play cricket well too..

So after 2009 when Australia has been beaten series in India, at home and in England maybe we can rebuild on a more respectful and less arrogant note.

But SA have to do it tomorrow first.. Kallis will be the key I think with no Smith the whole team will be looking to him to calmly knock the runs off.. can't rely on the tail to wag every single time..
The 2005 Australian Ashes squad was a bit of a joke. Most of the Australian batsman had not played much cricket in months. With the exception of Warne, none of the bowlers were up to the task. By then Gillespie had lost much of the zip of the pitch that made him a feared bowler, McGrath was injured (major blow there) and Lee bowled poor line and lengths. Hussey was not in the side, and again the batting line-up came unfit and under-prepared.

The 2006 Ashes Australian side was one of the strongest I've seen. By then the side was fully fit, in form (Martyn not so much) and trained hard. And with the 5 - 0 series win, I would pick the 2006 Australian side over the 2005 English side any time. They were on a 16 consectutive winning streak. You can't take that away from them.

With South Africa, I think they have a chance to clean-sweep this series if they bat extremely well. The pitch is holding up reasonable (yes, there is some variable bounce, but the Australians are not exploiting it) and if Amla and McKenzie are there by lunch, they can step it up a notch and try to win. Its a difficult, but not impossible task. But as South Africa have proved, they can steal momentum and win matches in seemingly lost games this series. Put $20 on them on betfair for some fun. We'll see how it goes.

-Chimpdaddy-

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't laugh but his being kept on for the 20/20 and ODI series. The one series where Neil Mac can't hit the ball of the square and his back in the limited overs reckoning. :sleep:

It’s been reported one of the reasons Mac has lost all confidence was his first innings shot at Perth, apparently according to the SuperSport guys he was so embarrassed that he kept apologising for what he did and still hasn’t got fully over it.
I heard some commentary that since he got his 50 at the MCG, whenever he bats, his wife is not allowed to stand or something. Ah, poor fellow.

- Chimpdaddy-

Ernest

U19 12th Man
The 2005 Australian Ashes squad was a bit of a joke. Most of the Australian batsman had not played much cricket in months. With the exception of Warne, none of the bowlers were up to the task. By then Gillespie had lost much of the zip of the pitch that made him a feared bowler, McGrath was injured (major blow there) and Lee bowled poor line and lengths. Hussey was not in the side, and again the batting line-up came unfit and under-prepared.

The 2006 Ashes Australian side was one of the strongest I've seen. By then the side was fully fit, in form (Martyn not so much) and trained hard. And with the 5 - 0 series win, I would pick the 2006 Australian side over the 2005 English side any time. They were on a 16 consectutive winning streak. You can't take that away from them.

With South Africa, I think they have a chance to clean-sweep this series if they bat extremely well. The pitch is holding up reasonable (yes, there is some variable bounce, but the Australians are not exploiting it) and if Amla and McKenzie are there by lunch, they can step it up a notch and try to win. Its a difficult, but not impossible task. But as South Africa have proved, they can steal momentum and win matches in seemingly lost games this series. Put $20 on them on betfair for some fun. We'll see how it goes.

-Chimpdaddy-
I've heard this trash before.. Gillespe was in form had just taken the most wickets in India.. this was a balanced team that had actually won in India and included Ponting, Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Martyn, Warne & McGrath. So if that squad was a bit of joke then I don't have your sense of humour.

Kasper got picked because he'd done well in England before.

And Simon Jones.. well if you didn't want to see or just don't like him because he's Welsh then refresh your memory.. still the best bowling I have seen against the supposed "best" team ever..

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GeoxS70CtKM

Now today the attack that we see at the SCG will have to rely on cracks not any real ability to swing the ball (McDonald excluded though at that pace even I could play the bloke).

Go the saffies.. then we can sack Punter & get on with it. This is my replacement team looking forward..

P. Hughes
P. Jaques
B. Hodge
M. Hussey
M. Clarke (c)
M. North
B. Haddin (k)
M. Johnson
S. Clark
J. Krezja
B. Lee
12th Man D. Bollinger

inbox24

International Debutant
I've heard this trash before.. Gillespe was in form had just taken the most wickets in India.. this was a balanced team that had actually won in India and included Ponting, Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Martyn, Warne & McGrath. So if that squad was a bit of joke then I don't have your sense of humour.

And Simon Jones.. well if you didn't want to see or just don't like him because he's Welsh then refresh your memory.. still the best bowling I have seen against the supposed "best" team ever..

Now today the attack that we see at the SCG will have to rely on cracks not any real ability to swing the ball (McDonald excluded though at that pace even I could play the bloke).

Go the saffies.. then we can sack Punter & get on with it. This is my replacement team looking forward..

P. Hughes
P. Jaques
B. Hodge
M. Hussey
M. Clarke (c)
M. North
B. Haddin (k)
M. Johnson
S. Clark
J. Krezja
B. Lee
12th Man D. Bollinger
I still feel what you said about the 2005 England team being stronger than the 2006 Australian team to be absolutely wrong. I doubt you could find anyone to back you up. Players like Strauss, Trescothick, Bell, Collingwood, come nowhere near Langer, Hayden, Hussey, Ponting et al.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

P. Hughes
P. Jaques
B. Hodge
M. Hussey
M. Clarke (c)
M. North
B. Haddin (k)
M. Johnson
S. Clark
J. Krezja
B. Lee
12th Man D. Bollinger
If by "just" you mean 8 months, and 3 series prior. A lot can happen in that amount of time, and Gillespie is the perfect example of that. To suggest that he was anything like the bowler he was in India, during the ashes series is ludicrous.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hi.

This is the internet, and Ernest is a troll. He is posting drivel to provoke a response. If you ignore him, he will leave.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Hi.

This is the internet, and Ernest is a troll. He is posting drivel to provoke a response. If you ignore him, he will leave.
I haven't been on the net long enough to even know what a "troll" is.. I am just talking about cricket you won't see me calling anyone else on the forum names..

And I am not after a response I thought a forum was a place where everyone was able to express their opinions.. and everything I've said I really believe.

Now looking at the first few overs I would hazard a guess that they will be looking to play the first 30 odd overs out.. wear the bowlers out in the hot temperature and then with 60 overs or so left in the day and wickets in hand play it like a one dayer..

I would hazard a guess that the odds on a saffie win will go down steadily during the day so get in now at $12..

Or hang on.. bloody Bollinger again.. I feel my bridge aching.. good ole Dougy

Now the fight really starts. Kallis is the key.

Andy_P

Cricket Spectator
Nice one Dougy!!

On a side note, is it just me, or could our bowlers stand to get in much closer to the stumps?

Stump to stump, a 'la McGrath (or is the ooh aah 'la Glenn McGrath).. :wacko:

There just seems to me to be too much consistent angle. I'd rather see stump-to-stump for most deliveries and then go wide every once in a while...

Strewth!! Kallis' girlfriend/wife is stunning!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry if this has already been asked as I have joined the thread late, but if SA went 8 or 9 down with say, >50 left, would Smitteh (the cheap imitation version) come out to bat, or is he completely done?

inbox24

International Debutant
Sorry if this has already been asked as I have joined the thread late, but if SA went 8 or 9 down with say, >50 left, would Smitteh (the cheap imitation version) come out to bat, or is he completely done?
Probably less than 25 to win.

Not out for mine.