• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Craig

World Traveller
You can't be "forced" into playing an attacking shot. What a ridiculous concept. They played attacking shots of their own free will and got out playing them. If they hadn't played those shots they might well have got the draw they were looking for.
Agreed forced is a strong word, more suckered into it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah yeah fair enough. I wouldn't even say that about some of those dismissals though. Flintoff and Jones got out to wide half-volleys from Brett Lee IIRC, and Bell was run out taking a single that was never on (on the advice of Collingwood). That was purely ****, irresponsible batting. You're letting England off the hook a touch by saying it was their playing-for-the-draw tactic that lost them the match.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Look at all the Aussies living on past glories..

By the way that 2006 ashes series was a joke when you consider that the captain, best batsman & best strike bowler were all missing.. & Flintoff was a bad choice for captain..

If that fit 2005 ashes team were to land on our shores even the finest Australian teams couldn't have beaten them. I think that was the best cricket team I have ever seen.

And even with a weakened unit now I think the Poms will wipe the floor with us. We won;t know what hit us

Beleg

International Regular
Look at all the Aussies living on past glories..

By the way that 2006 ashes series was a joke when you consider that the captain, best batsman & best strike bowler were all missing.. & Flintoff was a bad choice for captain..

If that fit 2005 ashes team were to land on our shores even the finest Australian teams couldn't have beaten them. I think that was the best cricket team I have ever seen.

And even with a weakened unit now I think the Poms will wipe the floor with us. We won;t know what hit us

Is this an attempt at a tasteless joke or some sort of reverse hex?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
facepalm.jpg

Can't we talk about whether it's a good idea to bat for a draw without Ernest interrupting with completely unwarranted Aussie-bashing.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Is this an attempt at a tasteless joke or some sort of reverse hex?
Nope. I think that Simon Jones was probably the finest fast bowler I have seen ably backed up by Hoggard & Harmison with Flintoff able to bowl short sharp bursts and his batting was probably at it's peak.

Strauss was at his best, Trescothick is probably the best opener I have seen and Vaughan was able to chip in with classy knocks when he needed to.. KP was really the icing on the cake.. Colly not even needed.

And Vaughan probably the best captain I have ever seen as well up there with Taylor & Fleming.

Giles was a useful change-up and could bet really resolutely as well when needed.

Nope that 2005 ashes line up (even with G. Jones) was I think the best cricket team I have ever seen. Not a super-star line up but a super star team.

And I think SA could quite easily knock the runs off tomorrow.. I've played on the SCG and even when it looks like a minefield it still seems to play well.

Ernest

U19 12th Man
Funny thing is I said the same thing to my more jingoistic mates who seemed to think that being Australian guaranteed that you were a better cricketer than anyone from anywhere else in the world.. they poo pooed the whole idea that South Africa could compete here.. India was blamed on pitches.. England was blamed on lollies.. I go for cricket not countries.

And I am so happy to see that the ogre of the arrogant Australian tool cricketer is well and truly over and normal cricket service can continue.

I just hope that Australia do get smashed 3-0 tomorrow so the whole idea that this is just a blip can be quashed and people will open their eyes up and realise that other countries play cricket well too..

So after 2009 when Australia has been beaten series in India, at home and in England maybe we can rebuild on a more respectful and less arrogant note.

But SA have to do it tomorrow first.. Kallis will be the key I think with no Smith the whole team will be looking to him to calmly knock the runs off.. can't rely on the tail to wag every single time..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ernest, why do you constantly right the same thing in each of your posts.

We get it, you think the current bunch of Aussie cricketers are arrogant.

The thing is no one here on this site thinks that Australia are the absolute best side any more.

It's just impossible with the number of players who have recently retired, and I don't think the side could be improved all that much with the players in Domestic Cricket.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Nope. I think that Simon Jones was probably the finest fast bowler I have seen ably backed up by Hoggard & Harmison with Flintoff able to bowl short sharp bursts and his batting was probably at it's peak.

Strauss was at his best, Trescothick is probably the best opener I have seen etc etc.
Lol you haven't seen much cricket have you?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Funny thing is I said the same thing to my more jingoistic mates who seemed to think that being Australian guaranteed that you were a better cricketer than anyone from anywhere else in the world.. they poo pooed the whole idea that South Africa could compete here.. India was blamed on pitches.. England was blamed on lollies.. I go for cricket not countries.

And I am so happy to see that the ogre of the arrogant Australian tool cricketer is well and truly over and normal cricket service can continue.

I just hope that Australia do get smashed 3-0 tomorrow so the whole idea that this is just a blip can be quashed and people will open their eyes up and realise that other countries play cricket well too..

So after 2009 when Australia has been beaten series in India, at home and in England maybe we can rebuild on a more respectful and less arrogant note.

But SA have to do it tomorrow first.. Kallis will be the key I think with no Smith the whole team will be looking to him to calmly knock the runs off.. can't rely on the tail to wag every single time..
We're all so glad that you're such a martyr, and are so humble, I mean, seriously give this guy a medal.

All hail Ernest!

susudear

Banned
Ernest

Ernest, are you Brad Hodge?

BTW, on the topic, Saffies have least pressure on them. However a fine morning burst from Siddle and Johnson should see them down atleast 4 wickets by lunch. I expect Australia to win this match by 150+ runs.

pup11

International Coach
Ernest, are you Brad Hodge?

BTW, on the topic, Saffies have least pressure on them. However a fine morning burst from Siddle and Johnson should see them down atleast 4 wickets by lunch. I expect Australia to win this match by 150+ runs.
Well he could easily be any of, Ashley Noffke, Beau Casson, Jason Krejza, Benjamin Hilfenhaus, David Hussey, Nathan Bracken, etc

Anyways as for the state of the game, given those two parallel cracks running through the length of the pitch, i believe Aussie bowling would have to be very poor for South Africa to get out of this game with a draw, leave alone a win, Saffies are effectively 2 down with Smith' injury, so its clearly Australia' game to give away from here now.