• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

susudear

Banned
Good spot

why katich is standing and johnson sitting ...thought seniority had some role to play while official photo sessions are held
Because Ponting wanted to give some semblance of a balance between bowling and batting?

Had Johnson been standing, and Katich sitting, all the standees would be bowlers/Mac.

biased indian

International Coach
Because Ponting wanted to give some semblance of a balance between bowling and batting?

Had Johnson been standing, and Katich sitting, all the standees would be bowlers/Mac.
bowlers have to stand up and perform if they have to compete in the third test :)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Non-plussed about McDonalds selection. Would have preferred they picked an in-form middle order batsmen though, but I guess they wanted another seam up option. If only Watson and/or Noffke were fit :(

howardj

International Coach
I love the Sydney Test - a new year; a wonderful feeling of freshness about it.

Without doubt, the SCG is the best (made-for) cricket ground in Australia, if not the world.

Richie might even say that it's a wonderful blend of the old and the new.

It's good that it falls on a Saturday too - be gutted if I'm not drunk by lunch.

iamdavid

International Debutant
This is exactely what is wrong with the Australian view on creating quality spinners. The entire "keep it tight" mentality. Shane Warne said that a great spinner can throw it up, get tonked for 6, and then throw it up again the very next ball. To a spinner, keep it tight = dart the ball in quick at the stumps. That is not the right attitude. In order to take wickets you need to try an decieve the batter in flight, dip and spin off the pitch. You can get it wrong, and the batter may charge down the pitch and tonk you, but there is always that element of danger that if he misreads the flight or mistimes the shot, he can get out.

Finally, "keeping things tight" don't win test matches, wickets do.

-Chimpdaddy-
Yes thats great, but if you don't have the control then you can toss it up all you like and you're still very unlikely to get wickets.

The problem with Krezja for example at the moment is that although he has the best intentions with regards to tossing it up and decieving the batsman, he gives them too many scoring oppurtunities with short, wide or overpitched balls. And they know another one is always just around the corner and thus don't have to sweat on scoring off the good balls.

The problem isn't the balls he tosses up and the batsman uses his feet, takes a risk and hits a great shot for four. It's the short-wide one he bowls regularly which gets cut for four meaning the batsman never has to take a risk and is thus unlikely to be decieved in flight, dip and spin, unless it's either an amazing delivery or he's a tailender.

pup11

International Coach
I love the Sydney Test - a new year; a wonderful feeling of freshness about it.

Without doubt, the SCG is the best (made-for) cricket ground in Australia, if not the world.

Richie might even say that it's a wonderful blend of the old and the new.

It's good that it falls on a Saturday too - be gutted if I'm not drunk by lunch.
Hopefully the new year would bring some much needed change in luck for the Aussies, but it would be a pretty odd to watch a SCG test where Aussies would be the one' playing for their pride.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Why out of curiosity?
Not a huge fan, couple of personal reasons, and I just always thought he was a bit overrated. I've come around a bit in the last season or so but he's still not a favourite of mine. He deserves a shot though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well I'm off to the game. Stoked I get to be there for Bollinger's debut; I've been a fan for a while and he's a Baulko boy. :p