• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Bennett can't get into the Barbados side because he had a disagreement with one of the selectors. Most of his wickets have been for the CCC or the old West Indies B team.

He is a good solid fast medium bowler who has been treated abysmally by the BCA.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Complete speculation on my part, but I think the XI will look something like this:

Gayle (c)
Chattergoon (Barath?)
Sarwan
Marshall
Chanderpaul
Nash
Bravo
Ramdin (wk)
Taylor
Benn (hopefully someone else though)
Edwards
Good summary, from FC cricket i think Jaggernaut is the best candidate for a place in the Windies side, though when he got his chance he didn't look up to it. To be perfectly honest, despite good FC records for West Indian spinners our crop of spinners is pathetic. Benn is a ODI bowler and at least Jaggernaut has a googly but his accuracy needs work.

Hoping to God that the Windies stick with Ramdin, as i have said before, the man has a lot of potential with the bat, he captained the Windies U21 and at U21 level scored centuries by the bucket load. He was originally picked as a batsman who could keep, but now Ramdin has developed his keeping, his batting has suffered.

Re. the team, four bowlers are likely to be used as well as Bravo and Gayle, which would probobly mean Chatergoon would miss out. Gayle is unlikely to drop a fellow Jamaican in Powell despite how rubbish he is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only batsmen with stand out FC records that would warrant a test place, i.e. an average of 40 and above is Gayle, Sarwan and Chanders the rest all average under forty
Actually Ganga averages over 40 outside of Test cricket. But we'll just leave that there. :p

Devon Smith is a tick under the mark. Not contesting your point btw. Just noting.
Yeah, got more pace than Baker and is younger, sprays it around a bit though.
Would prefer Baker to Roach for those reasons actually. We already have 2 erratic fast bowlers (Edwards and Powell) in the first team. If we MUST play a young fourth pacer, I'd prefer it to be someone less likely to go for 100 wicketless in 15 overs, as I firmly believe Roach is. Baker has a fair amount more control than he does, it seems.

That said, there are a handful of better young seamers than Baker who should have been in New Zealand ahead of him.
On that note, has anyone seen this guy bowl? He has a pretty standout First Class record for a pace bowler.
I've been backing him for a look-in for a couple of years now. His first-class opportunities are more limited than most though. If not for the Combined Campuses team in this years comp, he probably wouldn't have played. Too many established fast men in the Bajan team at this point.

Good bowler who moves it enough to trouble batsmen.

Beamer

Yes I must admit one of my fears is that we will end up with a mostly Jamaican XI inspite of the fact that T & T has so many excellent cricketers.

Powell must go if any pacer performs even half decently in FC cricket. If Jason Dawes has a brilliant first FC season he will have a huge advantage over the others.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Good summary, from FC cricket i think Jaggernaut is the best candidate for a place in the Windies side, though when he got his chance he didn't look up to it.
In fairness it was against the (then) best team in the world on a flat pitch and most of his bowling was on day one of the match. I think he only bowled about 3 overs in the second innings with Australia on top. That's typical of West Indian treatment of spinners though. Disgusting.
To be perfectly honest, despite good FC records for West Indian spinners our crop of spinners is pathetic. Benn is a ODI bowler and at least Jaggernaut has a googly but his accuracy needs work.
Jaggernauth's a lot more accurate, usually, than he showed on debut. In fact, I believe he has quite a good FC economy rate, but can't be bothered to check right now. Nikita Miller should be playing Tests ahead of Benn, if not Jaggernauth. In his ODI performances to date he's looked a good attacking option who still keeps the runs down. I wasn't a fan of his before, as some on here (Xavier) can attest, but he really changed my mind with his bowling this year.

Benn's presence in the Test team is a token pick.
He was originally picked as a batsman who could keep, but now Ramdin has developed his keeping, his batting has suffered.
Indeed. His 'keeping is what should keep him in the team. He's the only wicketkeeper in the region now who can consistently catch the ball.
Re. the team, four bowlers are likely to be used as well as Bravo and Gayle, which would probobly mean Chatergoon would miss out. Gayle is unlikely to drop a fellow Jamaican in Powell despite how rubbish he is.
I like Chattergoon, but he's woefully short on confidence right now. Bravo has to replace him if anyone, though Sarwan isn't undroppable either. Not when he looks to be batting for the opposition these days.

Re: Powell; I don't like him. I think he's the most frustrating player in the West Indies team, but he can't be dropped right now. There's no better option than him right now. And when he gets it right, usually for a spell per match, he can really do a special job.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I like Chattergoon, but he's woefully short on confidence right now. Bravo has to replace him if anyone, though Sarwan isn't undroppable either. Not when he looks to be batting for the opposition these days.

Re: Powell; I don't like him. I think he's the most frustrating player in the West Indies team, but he can't be dropped right now. There's no better option than him right now. And when he gets it right, usually for a spell per match, he can really do a special job.
I think Sarwan is undroppable, I cant imagine dropping a man with such raw talent and a proven batsman against the best teams.

Yeah, like I said before Powell may be a ridiculous excuse for a bowler but he is the best we have currently, Ravi Rempaul must be pushing for a place too.

Also, I think there is a biased in the Windies squad for Jamaicans now that CG is captain, however, i think this is unavoidable, it is just frustrating for me coming from Trinidad to see good bowlers coming from Trinidad not get a look in such as Jaggernaut

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think Sarwan is undroppable, I cant imagine dropping a man with such raw talent and a proven batsman against the best teams.
That's a terrible attitude. If Sarwan continues to bat like he did against New Zealand he has to be dropped. For one, he needs to reach double figures. What he's done in the past is just that- the past. Sarwan's problem is that he believes he is undroppable. It's the attitude that led to Lara dropping him in the past, but apparently he's slipped back into his comfort zone again.
Yeah, like I said before Powell may be a ridiculous excuse for a bowler but he is the best we have currently, Ravi Rempaul must be pushing for a place too.
Rampaul is too inconsistent. He needs one outstanding season before he can get a genuine look.
Also, I think there is a biased in the Windies squad for Jamaicans now that CG is captain, however, i think this is unavoidable, it is just frustrating for me coming from Trinidad to see good bowlers coming from Trinidad not get a look in such as Jaggernaut
I disagree. There's justification for all the Jamaicans in the team at the moment, aside from Findlay.

And it's Jaggernauth.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
And it's Jaggernauth.
Sorry, silent h.

Also, I dont think the attitude to Sarwan is bad, he had one bad series in a 2 test series against NZ, Sarwan was stand out in Sri Lanka and performed well against Australia. This is just guess work but i reckon that there is something going on mentally, for him to drop the vice-captainty at the time he did was strange and he just didn't look like he was concentrating in the NZ series.

Beamer

Sarwan is close friends with Leon Johnson, who has not been given a game and was inexplicably dropped from the ODI squad even though the likes of Findlay is still there.

He gets on very well with Gayle and is usually at the hub of the team, but he has appeared slightly withdrawn during this tour. I think he is annoyed with the selectors and therefore has not been in the right frame of mind.

However, I agree that we cannot drop a man who was our standout batsman just 2 series ago and performed well against Australia too.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
On a slightly different note...

Can someone explain the situation with digicel because i keep hearing different things, are they going to stop sponsering us or not

Beamer

My understanding is that Digicel will keep sponsoring West Indies cricket until 2010, but we have lost the sponsorship of Carib Beer and KFC in recent months.

Beamer

I completely forgot about the West Indies A fixture v England before the tests get underway.

This is going to be hugely important for the West Indies as it is a great opportunity to give everyone on the fringe of selection a trial against international opposition. They better not allow England to make that fixture a 13 v 13 farce as they are sometimes inclined to do:

A good A team side would be:

Devon Smith
Adrian Barath
Runako Morton
Daren Bravo
Leon Johnson
Ryan Hinds (c)
Andre Fletcher (wk)
Daren Sammy
Kemar Roach
Jason Dawes
Amit Jaggernauth

That would be a superb A side as it would allow experienced campaigners like Smith, Hinds and Morton another chance against opposition they have failed against at the highest level, while giving enough young players the chance to force their way in as well. Jason Dawes had the Sri Lankans on the hop in a tour game earlier this year so I think he is viewed as one for the future.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I completely forgot about the West Indies A fixture v England before the tests get underway.

This is going to be hugely important for the West Indies as it is a great opportunity to give everyone on the fringe of selection a trial against international opposition. They better not allow England to make that fixture a 13 v 13 farce as they are sometimes inclined to do:

A good A team side would be:

Devon Smith
Adrian Barath
Runako Morton
Daren Bravo
Leon Johnson
Ryan Hinds (c)
Andre Fletcher (wk)
Daren Sammy
Kemar Roach
Jason Dawes
Amit Jaggernauth

That would be a superb A side as it would allow experienced campaigners like Smith, Hinds and Morton another chance against opposition they have failed against at the highest level, while giving enough young players the chance to force their way in as well. Jason Dawes had the Sri Lankans on the hop in a tour game earlier this year so I think he is viewed as one for the future.
Yeah, I like the team, I dont think Daren Bravo has been included in the set up before but he is definitely one to look out for, everyone has said he bats like Lara, however i am presuming this is referring to style not results.

When Hinds went in to the Sri Lanka test match he didn't do much wrong i think he got a thirty or forty. We will also get to see if Sammy can recreate the heroics of the 7 wicket haul he took against England a couple years ago. I would probobly prefer to have Hinds in the test squad ahead of Sammy if i had to pick one.

Leon Johnsen is also a good prospect, but i have long given up on Morton, have you noticed how he only seems to score runi in warm up games, i remember on a number of occasions him doing this, but when it comes to the tests he looks an absolute joke.

Dont think Devon Smith is that far away from a Windies recall, started to find some form in Sri Lanka and isn't that bad of a player, definitely better than Morton.

The lack of good first bowlers in the side worries me though, Roach and Baker are no where near test level, neither really is Powell, but he has to play. Waiting to see when Justin Guillen will be given a shot, heard he is a talented player with solid technique, one for the future.

Beamer

Guillen is a talented player who has been talked about at the Queens Park Club for some time.

Unfortunately he is competing with Barath and Simmons for the T & T opening slot, which is a difficult task for the young man.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Guillen is a talented player who has been talked about at the Queens Park Club for some time.

Unfortunately he is competing with Barath and Simmons for the T & T opening slot, which is a difficult task for the young man.
Yeah like i said one for the future, he is only like 19 or 20 years old.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Also, I dont think the attitude to Sarwan is bad, he had one bad series in a 2 test series against NZ, Sarwan was stand out in Sri Lanka and performed well against Australia. This is just guess work but i reckon that there is something going on mentally, for him to drop the vice-captainty at the time he did was strange and he just didn't look like he was concentrating in the NZ series.
There's obviously something going on mentally. It's not merely a lean streak after a good run. The manner in which Sarwan batted in the Tests was baffling and harmful to West Indies on the whole. It was as though he couldn't wait to get back into the pavilion, which is particularly harmful when it's a number three batsman who is guilty.

West Indies can't afford to wait for him to sort himself out. Because even a promising 20-30 (from Ganga or Devon Smith) is more useful than a single digit score at a run-a-ball.
Sarwan is close friends with Leon Johnson, who has not been given a game and was inexplicably dropped from the ODI squad even though the likes of Findlay is still there.
Presumably because Findlay scored an unbeaten fifty against Australia (albeit with the game lost comfortably). Leon Johnson is not of international standard thus far.
Devon Smith
Adrian Barath
Runako Morton
Daren Bravo
Leon Johnson
Ryan Hinds (c)
Andre Fletcher (wk)
Daren Sammy
Kemar Roach
Jason Dawes
Amit Jaggernauth

I wouldn't play Dawes and Roach in the same match. Both are raw and erratic and probably wouldn't gain much from being manhandled by Pietersen and co. Dawes hasn't even played a first-class match yet IIRC. Also, it's harsh on Nikita Miller not to get a look in.

Regarding Ryan Hinds as captain, that's unlikely to happen. His disciplinary record has done him no favours with Barbados and I don't see why that would change for West Indies 'A'.
Yeah, I like the team, I dont think Daren Bravo has been included in the set up before but he is definitely one to look out for, everyone has said he bats like Lara, however i am presuming this is referring to style not results.
All reports suggest that he is a better batsman than Dwayne Bravo, who is obviously a big talent. He shouldn't be anywhere near an 'A' team until he shows that he can score a first-class fifty.
When Hinds went in to the Sri Lanka test match he didn't do much wrong i think he got a thirty or forty. We will also get to see if Sammy can recreate the heroics of the 7 wicket haul he took against England a couple years ago. I would probobly prefer to have Hinds in the test squad ahead of Sammy if i had to pick one.
Agreed with Hinds over Sammy. I can't see Sammy ever taking as many as he did against England. He'd be hardpressed to even take another Test 5-for against a proper Test team. His batting needs to improve for him to justify his selection.
Leon Johnsen is also a good prospect, but i have long given up on Morton, have you noticed how he only seems to score runi in warm up games, i remember on a number of occasions him doing this, but when it comes to the tests he looks an absolute joke.
I'd much prefer Morton in the ODI team to either of Findlay or Johnson.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rashid's in, as well as Swann & Panesar. Because the WI has always been a spinners' paradise, presumably.
Rashid's selection completely baffles me. Makes no sense on any level at all.
Would absolutely agree with this. Three spinners in a sixteen man squad (effectively 15 because Ambrose isn't playing short of injury)? Hmmm.

Only vague way Rashid makes sense is as a like-for-unlike replacement for Fred if (when?) his ankle goes again.

Nash has only had one season in Carribean FC cricket, not sure how he did in Australia but thats besides the point.
Well enough to lose his contract with the QLD Bulls, hence his "rediscovering" of his Jamaican roots.

FC batting record from CricketArchive.