• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

susudear

Banned
So

Ran to the MCG after work when Ponting was on 87. Can't imagine how shattered I was when he got out on 99. Was great seeing Johnson bat so well in the flesh, pity Siddle and Hauritz couldn't stick around.

I haven't read much of this thread, but I'd imagine there's a lot of laughing, doomsday calls etc etc. There will definitley be heaps in the media all around the world. However I think it's a pity that people focus on the rubbish and not on the fact that this has been a brilliant series, by far the best since 05 and there are too many shortsighted morons missing that point.
You reckon Australia is not declining?

pup11

International Coach
Thought that it couldn't possibly get any worse for the Aussies after day 3, but day 4 was an even more shocking and disappointing day, and the blame solely lies on the Aussie batsmen:

1.M.Hayden- Was trying to be his intimidating self without realising the kind of tricky situation the team was in, could have batted a bit more cautiously.

2.S.Katich- Was probably as shocking a dismissal as any, chasing a very wide ball and nicking it, now that is something i definitely don't expect from Katich.

3.R.Ponting- Can't be too critical of him because his 99 was a very good knock, but under the circumstances played a very lose shot to get out.

4.M.Hussey- I think cricket gods are starting to bring him down now, has had 2 shocking tests in a row, his dismissal today was due to a bad umpiring decision, the ball was no where near his gloves but the umpire thought otherwise.

5.M,Clarke- Worst shot of the day for me his dismissal was the turning point of the day imo, we were all talking about how well he is maturing, but then when Australia were starting to get things going he played an absolute shocking shot, to a very poor delivery.

6.A.Symonds- Well he doesn't have much of a technique and today once again his technique of the lack of it was exposed by Steyn, got a couple of outswingers and eventually ended up nicking one to the slips.

7.B.Haddin- I am very disappointed with him in this test, despite him scoring runs in the 1st innings, his identical dismissals in both the innings at a crucial times was really due to poor shot-selection on his part on both occasions, needs to show a bit more patience rather than wafting at everything outside off stump.

I think this pretty much goes onto show Australia have played shockingly two days in a row now, and despite having the game by the scruff of the neck at the end of day 2, the lack of discipline in the all the three departments of the game have now driven Australia to a point where they are now staring at a home series loss, and they have only got themselves to blame for this, South Africa have played some good cricket when it mattered, but the Aussies have helped them all the way though.

pasag

RTDAS
By the way, paying the same price for one session on the fourth day as I paid on the first for a full day is absolutely absurd.

pasag

RTDAS
You reckon Australia is not declining?
I reckon it doesn't have to be said every five minutes. It was front page of the paper today next to Israeli air strikes in Gaza. We get the point, everyone knows, they've been harping on about it since McGrath and Warne turned 30, now let us enjoy a brilliant contest.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've enjoyed all recent series in Australia, all were competitive.

Sri Lanka who were completely luckless. Malinga got soooo many edges and barely any went to hand.
India were gun after a dismal first showing.
New Zealand bowled very well and Ross Taylor hit some wonderful knocks.
And now South Africa are outplaying the Australians in a see saw series.

Bees

U19 12th Man
Re: Australia's decline

Probably the worst example of beating a dead horse since T20 burst on the scene?

sanga1337

U19 Captain
No doomsday from me! You can never count the Aussies out, as Mitchell Johnson proved in the first test. Even if the Saffies win the series, I still think you can call Australia the best team - remember, the squad didn't have Clark. Furthermore, some responsibility must rest on the selectors.

I should've stayed away from the Match Thread on the Cricinfo Facebook. It's 10% about the match, 90% bickering between Aussies and Indians about cheating and the spirit of cricket - not to mention lots of schaudenfraud! Indians pleased to see the downfall of the Aussies, Aussies saying that they're glad the Saffies beat them at home because the Indians couldn't! Sheer partisan madness in there!

Here's an interesting statistic:

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...rtnerships_by_wicket.html?id=4314;type=series

No team has got a real start so far in this series
Cant say its surprising really, with Hayden and McKenzie both being out of form.

Whats funny is that the highest partnership has come at the 9th wicket. Don't think anyone before the series would've expected that to happen.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
5.M,Clarke- Worst shot of the day for me his dismissal was the turning point of the day imo, we were all talking about how well he is maturing, but then when Australia were starting to get things going he played an absolute shocking shot, to a very poor delivery.
Pffft. Michael Clarke looked like an old lady waving a broomstick at passing flies for the whole of that innings. It was no turning point. If he hadn't got out to that he'd have got out to something else.

pup11

International Coach
Pffft. Michael Clarke looked like an old lady waving a broomstick at passing flies for the whole of that innings. It was no turning point. If he hadn't got out to that he'd have got out to something else.
Michael Clarke has been looking like that all through the Aussie summer (if you haven't already noticed that), but still he has went onto score runs after gritting out the early phase of his innings, today also Ponting was building a good partnership with him and runs were starting to come at a good pace, but all of sudden Clarke had a rush of blood and played that terrible shot and after that the flood gates just opened up.

pup11

International Coach
What are your predictions for tomorrow:

Head says South Africa to win by 8 wickets...

Heart says Australia to win by 10 runs, or thunderstorms in Melbourne right through tomorrow..

Last edited:

susudear

Banned
I'd rather regard

I reckon it doesn't have to be said every five minutes. It was front page of the paper today next to Israeli air strikes in Gaza. We get the point, everyone knows, they've been harping on about it since McGrath and Warne turned 30, now let us enjoy a brilliant contest.
The continuous "Australia declining" as some sort of a compliment, as it shows how the world is jealous of Australian dominance. However you have a point when the same thing is repeated.

pasag

RTDAS
Match started two weeks too late to miss the unusual wet weather. Even if it does rain for a bit, there'll easily be enough time to get the runs and as Uppercut said it would be a travesty is SA don't win for something so trivial.

Redbacks

International Captain
South Africa have this one in the bag, can't even imagine us taking 10 wickets TBH.

Quite a performance from Steyn 10 wickets and 75 runs, he has bowled a few wayward balls here and there but seems always capable of getting a few good balls to beat or grab the edge of our top order players