• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst batsman ever to score a Test match 100

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Surprised it took four pages to get a mention of Agarkar in, TBH. He was awful.

Was also somewhat of a hero around these parts once upon a time. How things change.
Nah, reckon Agarkar wasn't that bad. He has a 95 in ODI's too, I believe. He was always the type to go boom or bust, bust a lot more often though.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Nah, reckon Agarkar wasn't that bad. He has a 95 in ODI's too, I believe. He was always the type to go boom or bust, bust a lot more often though.
He did start out as a batsman. Now he's neither.

He's got a few good things going for him including the immense power he generates off the back-foot as well as how straight he plays. However, given his performance in international cricket (especially the infamous "Bombay Duck" tour) I think he'd be a pretty popular candidate.

He does also hold the record for fastest 50 by an Indian in ODIs.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He did start out as a batsman. Now he's neither.

He's got a few good things going for him including the immense power he generates off the back-foot as well as how straight he plays. However, given his performance in international cricket (especially the infamous "Bombay Duck" tour) I think he'd be a pretty popular candidate.

He does also hold the record for fastest 50 by an Indian in ODIs.
Yeah, that's an interesting one. I don't think we'll ever again see a player become the fastest to 50 ODI wickets, hit the fastest 50 for his country, make 5 Test ducks in a row against a team, and also get his name on the Lords honour board with a Test century there. Can't say he hasn't had an eventful career.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, that's an interesting one. I don't think we'll ever again see a player become the fastest to 50 ODI wickets, hit the fastest 50 for his country, make 5 Test ducks in a row against a team, and also get his name on the Lords honour board with a Test century there. Can't say he hasn't had an eventful career.
That's why CW loves him. He was always a cult figure around these parts form around 2002 to around 2005.

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
Did anybody mention Pat Symcox? He actually lost his place in the team after his 100...:blink:

Sorry - but can't remember which game...

Edit: was against Pakistan in Jhb. also survived a "bails not dislodged" against Mushtaq....but I just read that he was a starting batsman turned spinbowler. Well - I can see why....

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Did anybody mention Pat Symcox? He actually lost his place in the team after his 100...:blink:

Sorry - but can't remember which game...
He was batting at 10 that game as well. No other legit tailenders have scored a Test century at 10. Ranked in batting position, he is the worst.

However, he has a pretty decent Test and FC record and him batting 10 probably has more to do with South African batting depth than his own talents.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised by the nominations for Gillespie - for worst batsman to score a double century, he'd be a cinch, but there'd be worse ones who've got to 100.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, that's an interesting one. I don't think we'll ever again see a player become the fastest to 50 ODI wickets, hit the fastest 50 for his country, make 5 Test ducks in a row against a team, and also get his name on the Lords honour board with a Test century there.
Never mind do that, and play the biggest part in winning one of the most tumultuous Test victories in your country's history (Adelaide 2003/04), and have a career that for the most part was a spectacular failure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's why CW loves him.
I'm not sure it is TBH. It might've helped nurture the love, but it's very likely the whole thing would never have happened but for that idiot wahindiawah\nehrafan and his duplicate-accounts back in 2002, and Marc Robbins' love of making a point of what a dumbaess he was.

The Agarkar-love is the only decent thing wahindiawah ever did for CW.

ret

International Debutant
"Worst batsman ever to score a Test match 100"

i guess, a test 100 is suppose to show that a player can bat but the answer to that Q would probably be the one with the lowest batting average :p

Rant0r

International 12th Man
the best thing to happen to dwayne smith, who seems to still be riding on that ridiculous century, was the flintoff sledging in england one year, anyone other than dwayn smith would have hung themselves after that. he surely will never play for england

agarkar definitely the worst, i can't believe he made a hundred after all those ducks, i seen that 50 as well, he looked gun, in an ungainly way.\

Rant0r

International 12th Man
pretty sure gillespie is the only person to be dropped after a double hundred as well.

bangladesh have a lot fo answer for, especially for stats/records lovers like me

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
pretty sure gillespie is the only person to be dropped after a double hundred as well.

bangladesh have a lot fo answer for, especially for stats/records lovers like me
I think Gillespie was injured in the Test immediately following the one he scored two hundred in, and then he was just left out after that. I don't think that counts as being dropped immediately after scoring a double hundred, as such.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
pretty sure he was fit, however, he probably shouldn't have played that game anyway, he was well past his best and attempting to revive his career with some bangladesh bashing.

he also didn't come back into the team once he was fit (if in fact he was injured) so i guess yes he really was dropped

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
he also didn't come back into the team once he was fit (if in fact he was injured) so i guess yes he really was dropped
He was obviously dropped, but you said he was dropped immediately after scoring a double hundred.. if he was injured for the following Test, then he wasn't.

I really, really don't care though so this will almost certainly be my lost post on the matter. :p