• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Redbacks

International Captain
Workload is an issue for the quicks, we play friday and then again shortly after on Boxing day, rotating some of the quicks for the 3 tests could have been a reasonable idea. Johnson bowled as much as he possibly could in Perth IMO, we needed backup to keep the runs down and let him rest.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I respect them a bit more - I thought they were a good team before, but they played very well in this match. Certainly I have more respect for Smith's ability after watching most of his 2nd innings dig - thought he deserved MoM actually. In AB de Villiers and Duminy you seem to have a good basis for a middle order for years to come as well.
I second you mate. Beefy was my MoM as well!

Redbacks

International Captain
I think the Aus media do their best to try and make SA look arrogant before any series. Fox Sports News for one, consistantly cut and edit interviews so that we never get to hear the question, thus the context of the answer.

Other than write letters of complaint to fox, what can we do?

kingkallis

International Coach
On Vaughan van Jaarsveld - I was so worried when he decided to go Kolpak with Warwick 1-2 years ago....he is the future!

pup11

International Coach
If Australia have started selecting players on the basis of trying to keep overrates down instead of trying to win matches they may resign themselves to never being number one again.
Mate i don't think Australia ever want to be in a position like they were at Nagpur where they eventually ended up throwing away the game due to poor overrates...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate i don't think Australia ever want to be in a position like they were at Nagpur where they eventually ended up throwing away the game due to poor overrates...
Ponting should never have done that, it was shocking captaincy. Did the West Indies selectors ever say, "oh balls, we're bowling our overs too slowly. Time to drop Garner, Holding, Marshall or Roberts for a piss-weak spinner"? They kept their over rates down perfectly well. The answer to the problem doesn't lie in selecting **** bowlers who get through their overs quickly.

kingkallis

International Coach
Ponting should never have done that, it was shocking captaincy. Did the West Indies selectors ever say, "oh balls, we're bowling our overs too slowly. Time to drop Garner, Holding, Marshall or Roberts for a piss-weak spinner"? They kept their over rates down perfectly well. The answer to the problem doesn't lie in selecting **** bowlers who get through their overs quickly.
Ponting spends too much time setting the fielding and he sometimes talks a LOT with the bowlers between overs!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
On Vaughan van Jaarsveld - I was so worried when he decided to go Kolpak with Warwick 1-2 years ago....he is the future!
It’s took him long enough. His exploits as a schoolboy are legendary but he fell by the wayside big-time but his looking very good this year - Lost over 15kg, has a slightly changed technique and is a reformed man from all reports. Great to see him included, deserved selection yet, I’m not sure how he gets into the top order with Kallis and Bouch still knocking around. He may come in for Albie Morkel, who has been selected but is currently not able to bowl due to his long-standing shoulder injury.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Chances of Lee-Johnson-Bollinger-Hilfenhaus?
Would really love it for Australia to scrap the spinner and go for an era of pace quartets. We have way too many potential Test pacers and hardly any decent spinners. We're really wasting resources here, one feels.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mate look Australia need to play a spinner and that's a fact given how ****ty the Aussie overrates have been for a while, the second thing is Australian bowling needs a bit of variety in their attack, Krejza would have been the prefered choice given he has shown bits of talent admist getting hammered time and again, but Australian pace attack given their current state can't afford someone like Krejza who would be going for so many runs, Hauritz has better control over his deliveries and though doesn't posses great wicket taking ability or anything, he is capable of keeping it tight and that's all the Aussie think tank is hoping he would do.

Well Hauritz' is not someone who i wouldn't even rate as a FC spinner leave alone a test spinner, but given the direness of Aussie spin stocks he is the best possible option left, and lets be honest if we go in with 4 fast bowlers and the wicket turns out to be as flat as the one at Perth, then i don't think having an extra quick would do much either to help the cause, but if there is something there in the deck then three quicks + Symonds' medium pace should do the job, again i know that Hauritz won't feauture in Australia best 4 bowlers in the present circumstances, but his selection is more on the basis of the overrates issue than anything else.
Once all are fit & the selectors stop blazing the challis, Australia's best XI hands down has to be:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Noffke
Lee
Johnson
Clark

Australia do not need to play a spinner, especially as part of a 4-man attack.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Once all are fit & the selectors stop blazing the challis, Australia's best XI hands down has to be:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Noffke
Lee
Johnson
Clark

That's also a very strong batting tail.

Durham_CCC

School Boy/Girl Captain

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Noffke
Lee
Johnson
Clark

Very true, few overs from Clarke or Symonds.

howardj

International Coach
Watson a better allround choice

Ben Dorries finally strings together a decent piece.

Can anyone quite believe that Watson, who as Ponting says was our best bowler in India, is not in the team and, moreover, is playing second fiddle to a clapped out 33 year old bloke with a piss poor attitude?