• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its looking more and more likely that Jamie How's drop yesterday evening has cost NZ a chance in this test match. A dreadful series for How.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not at all keen on Vettori's ploy to bowl two spinners so early. Yes Gayle got stuck into O'Brien one over, but it's just too easy for Edwards to play out the spinners.

Anway, this one has more or less slipped away from New Zealand now, and they should be very disappointed with themselves. I know they haven't won a real test since March, but they really should've wrapped this one up. Full credit to Gayle though.

I think that it's rather unfair that How will be dropped because of that missed chance, but unless he scores a bucket load of runs in the upcoming one dayers, I do get the feeling that he will be let go.

Franklin on now. Really is the last throw of the dice here.

EDIT: GAME OVER, unless the kiwi's completely collapse, which I'm not ruling out at this point.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I think that it's rather unfair that How will be dropped because of that missed chance, but unless he scores a bucket load of runs in the upcoming one dayers, I do get the feeling that he will be let go.
Might be unfair to drop How for that missed catch, but its wholly fair to drop him given his failure to score runs. We may as well pick an extra bowler for all the batting that How provides.

Its been a great innings from Gayle here but in some ways its a shame to see him equal (and potentially) break a record held by one of the all time greats - Greenidge. Completely different class of player.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
YUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still a faint, faint, faint chance of snaffling a win if we can get the last two wickets quickly. If we manage it, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see McCullum coming in to open.

Think Vettori should bring back O'Brien, put a 3rd man and fine leg back to stop in any knicks and just go for broke.

Scaly piscine

Still a faint, faint, faint chance of snaffling a win if we can get the last two wickets quickly. If we manage it, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see McCullum coming in to open.
Much better chance of NZ losing. I'd be amazed if NZ get anywhere near given how economical the spinners have been.

James

Cricket Web Owner

Think Vettori should bring back O'Brien, put a 3rd man and fine leg back to stop in any knicks and just go for broke.
Will we go for the win though and risk a loss though? Think who opens the batting will show that. Should be McCullum and Ryder and treat it like a one-dayer IMO. Need one of them to play a Sehwag type innings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Will we go for the win though and risk a loss though? Think who opens the batting will show that. Should be McCullum and Ryder and treat it like a one-dayer IMO. Need one of them to play a Sehwag type innings.
I'd stick with How as one of the openers. He can play aggressively, has the best back foot game of anyone in the top order and knows the ground like the back of his hand. If he gets out cheaply again, then consider that his last chance. Another over without a wicket though. Time is very quickly running out.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'd stick with How as one of the openers. He can play aggressively, has the best back foot game of anyone in the top order and knows the ground like the back of his hand. If he gets out cheaply again, then consider that his last chance. Another over without a wicket though. Time is very quickly running out.
WIth the small boundaries and what is still a fairly good pitch, I reckon we could chase 300 in 60 overs.

Need one of the openers to smash a quick fire 60-70 off 40-50 balls though so we get a bit of momentum.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Really don't like Patel bowling to the tailenders. Sure he deserves a 5fer, but he's much easier to slog than O'Brien, and probably easier to play out as well.

EDIT: Well, now I look like a prat.

Last edited: