• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
When Kallis and de Villiers were batting the game away he could have set a 8:1 field and restricted their run scoring. On Day 5 it was a bit to late as the horses had already bolted.
Yeah, they should've been playing for a draw from at least Day 3...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Kallis and de Villiers were batting the game away he could have set a 8:1 field and restricted their run scoring. On Day 5 it was a bit to late as the horses had already bolted.
When Kallis and de Viliiers were batting late day 4 they were no more than about 30 each at the most (CBF looking it up).

Imagine that - two relatively new batsmen, a couple of quick wickets just taken. "Tell you what boys, we're not going for another wicket, we're going 8:1 for containment. Oh look, there's the cricket media feeding on my entrails as I speak".

Please become Indian captain soon. Please.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Whereupon he'd be criticised for publicly backing his players when they played like mud.
Is a negative soundbite from the captain mandatory? He could have stuck to well played SA.

Tell me, how could he play for a draw and why would he? They led by 90 odd on the first innings, and set SA over 400 to win. They had 5 sessions to get them on a placid pitch. And even if he wanted to, he didn't have the bowlers to go for a draw.

You can't seriously suggest to me that any test captain would set a team 400+ to win in over a day and a half, and have as their first thought playing for a draw?
I think Ponting does not seem to realise when the game is slipping from underneath him. He did the same in India, when he let them off. On day 4 when the lead was only about 350 odd he should have not let Smith and Kallis score away. He should have done everything he could to dry up the runs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is a negative soundbite from the captain mandatory? He could have stuck to well played SA.

I think Ponting does not seem to realise when the game is slipping from underneath him. He did the same in India, when he let them off. On day 4 when the lead was only about 350 odd he should have not let Smith and Kallis score away. He should have done everything he could to dry up the runs.
*Smith and Amla

Did you seriously watch any of the Test?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
mate.. u came down pretty hard about Indians not showing up for test matches at the grounds.. Would love to hear your comments abt the crowd yesterday at the WACA...
:laugh:

One day from five (a Sunday no less when most don't want to go to the cricket or have junior sport or something). The other four days had very good crowds - I'd kinda know cause I was there.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
When Kallis and de Viliiers were batting late day 4 they were no more than about 30 each at the most (CBF looking it up).

Imagine that - two relatively new batsmen, a couple of quick wickets just taken. "Tell you what boys, we're not going for another wicket, we're going 8:1 for containment. Oh look, there's the cricket media feeding on my entrails as I speak".

Please become Indian captain soon. Please.
FYI Dhoni used the 8:1 again yesterday and KP could only score some 50 odd runs in 30 overs. At the end of the day India strongly back in the game. Dhoni could not care less about what the media writes about the 8:1 tactic.

Top_Cat

Geez, bit of Monday morning quarterbacking going on here! You would seriously play for a draw when the opposition is chasing 400+ to win and is only 50 runs into it? Ponting, if anything, didn't attack enough because if Kallis went the previous evening, that would have put a serious dent in SA's chances.

The bowlers just weren't up to it and there's no way Ponting could have known that would be the case. Anyone who saw the way Lee bowled late on day 4 would never have backed him to not take a single pole the next day.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: . So agreed. If there is anything in this post McGrath/Warne that is going to hurt Australia more than on-field performances is the unpredicatabilty of the selectors decisions.

Jesus, why can't they get PACE IS AUSTRALIA'S ONLY STRENGHT. Just pick the best 4 quicks for god sake.

Last edited:

Burgey

FYI Dhoni used the 8:1 again yesterday and KP could only score some 50 odd runs in 30 overs. At the end of the day India strongly back in the game. Dhoni could not care less about what the media writes about the 8:1 tactic.
Big difference mate - it's the second innings of that game, not the fourth, with a 400+ target.

Top_Cat

I'm sure the 20 spectators in the ground loved every second of it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
KP is still going at a SR of over 50 then. Big success.

Craig

World Traveller
Geez, bit of Monday morning quarterbacking going on here! You would seriously play for a draw when the opposition is chasing 400+ to win and is only 50 runs into it? Ponting, if anything, didn't attack enough because if Kallis went the previous evening, that would have put a serious dent in SA's chances.

The bowlers just weren't up to it and there's no way Ponting could have known that would be the case. Anyone who saw the way Lee bowled late on day 4 would never have backed him to not take a single pole the next day.
AWTA.

That is the thing about cricket, unless you have wickets in the bag, the average punter and the more idiotic press think you have bowled **** and therefore should be out of the team.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Big difference mate - it's the second innings of that game, not the fourth, with a 400+ target.
India scored some 450 odd too, but when KP seemed to be scoring at a fair clip out came the 8:1. Even if you have scored 400 if you give the opposition 5 sessions to get the runs and they dont lose much wickets and now you are defending 350 odd, its time to dry up the runs. As nowadays any team with a good lineup will chase down 280 odd on the last day if they have 7/8 wickets left.